Royal Gossip
January 22, 2019, 07:06:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Sparkles & the IRS  (Read 615 times)
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 01:01:32 am »

Just because she resides at KP doesn't mean that BP isn't involved.

Buckingham Palace is a euphamism for Her Majesty and HM will have the best legal advisors etc ensuring the protection of the income and expenditure of the BRF is protected. It is a major part of her responsibility. CH will also be involved as Charles funds Harry's office ... unless, until she becomes a British citizen they are having Harry use his inheritance from Diana, which they will then replace when she becomes a British citizen, in which case only Harry's personal fortune will be able to be investigated, along with any money Meghan still has.

The BRF have always known the rules around Meghan and the tax laws of the US and so will have done all they can to protect themselves in general and Harry in particular.

You know, I wonder WHY Meg wasn't ordered to renounce her citizenship and after the BRF pulls strings, she might have ended up avoiding all this. HM could have pulled strings to get Meg citizenship for GB and I'm sure it would have solved all the issues.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 01:05:22 am »

Interesting bits from the tax article:
The US Internal Revenue Service is known for being extremely strict in tracking down people they believe owe them money.
Meghan is reportedly living in the UK on a family visa, but she will have a complicated tax status as long as she remains a US citizen.  eating cookies
Tax laws mean that even if Los Angeles-born Meghan lives full-time in the UK, she will still have to file a US return every year.
Perks she receives by joining the Royal Family such as the use of Nottingham Cottage, the grace and favour property in the grounds of Kensington Palace where she will live with Harry, need to be valued and declared, unless she is paying rent herself.
And future TV income, such as repeat fees, will all be taxed by the US as long as she is a citizen.
'Clearly Meghan’s case is a unique one, as she may be taxed according to the rental value of a home she lives in for free - Kensington Palace.
Kensington Palace declined MailOnline’s request for comment. The IRS has been contacted.

Phil Dampier on the tax issue:
https://66.media.tumblr.com/245e8ce349c919d0a980a3f3dae2ec7c/tumblr_pie2n1LrpL1uh38om_540.jpg
It would make sense if the royal family sorted out how they’ll protect their assets from the IRS prior to Harry marrying her. The logical sense would be for the marriage not to be legal, therefore, the royal family’s not legally tied to her and their finances aren’t subjected to examination. Meghan’s going to have to face the tabac man alone.

The problem with the BRF is that they clearly do not know how to plan for things not going their way. Diana's death should have taught them that and before that, the problem of Camilla undermining a dynastic marriage didn't encourage anyone to do anything about it. Frankly I believe that for some reason no one in the palace fancied that Meg's citizenship would be a problem and therefore she was not required to renounce it.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Snowpea
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 01:20:05 am »

^Maybe the suddenness of the nuptials had something to do with it? We all know how sudden this came on. And it's going to be years before MeAgain would be eligible to become a citizen.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 01:41:17 am »

^^It’s not personal or against cpas.  This situation doesn’t resemble most people’s tax setup.

^Then there’d be an outcry if she jumped the line to get citizenship in the UK ahead of those who follow the rules.  This just wasn’t planned smartly at all.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 04:26:52 am »

This is why I do not believe Harry got permission to marry Meg; if HM had given permission, Meg's citizenship would have been taken care of and I am dead certain that none of this would have come up. It would have been sorted out and there wouldn't have been problems like this. You know, is it just me, or is either prince too stupid to know how to figure out if a woman is bad news?

Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:37 am »

Maybe Harry had a boring palace life and wanted to spice it up with IRS breathing down his neck. IMO with M it's not just filing her taxes, it has a lot to do with what gifts she received. Even though C paid for it, it is a gift for her - all those clothes and shoes and jewelry. IRS is in the business of money not in the business of playing stupid.

Adding to that the instas that were thanking JM for what MM wore. Lots of instas that were making captions like this were deleted but the pics are on tumblr. IRS can find all the pictures they need summed in there. IMO dumb Harry will need to start paying not only for tax attorneys but for legal team cause he married the 5 am yelling machine. That makes him on the hook for lots of things she does while on tours with him, representing his granny, the queen.
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 05:40:31 am »

It' really not that easy to just renounce your US citizenship. It's not like you're changing coats or something. Unless you have another citizenship, it's very risky and it will make your life pretty difficult to become stateless person. As a stateless person, and I am not a 100% sure that the laws are here, but as a stateless person it will be even more difficult to apply for citizenship to another country. After all, you need to have an ID and a passport if you are to ever go to the doctor or fly abroad, or buy a car, or do anything in any country.

Making M a UK citizen with priority is out of the question and will make Brexit look like a joke.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 07:20:19 am »

This is why I do not believe Harry got permission to marry Meg; if HM had given permission, Meg's citizenship would have been taken care of and I am dead certain that none of this would have come up. It would have been sorted out and there wouldn't have been problems like this. You know, is it just me, or is either prince too stupid to know how to figure out if a woman is bad news?

Harry had permission to marry Meghan. The permission isn't needed before the engagement although as a courtesy it is done that way. We know he has the permission because it was in the gazette of approvals by the Privy Council.

The BRF would have this all sorted. The media are simply stirring for the click-bait.

The BRF are way too savvy to have not had this sorted before the 'I wills' in May.

They could have tried to fast-track her citizenship but neither she, the BRF, nor the government want to take that process. They want Meghan to follow all the same rules as everyone else and that is what is happening. First she obtained a fiance visa and now is on a spousal visa. In time she will take out British citizenship and probably renounce her US citizenship. She can't do the latter before doing the former as she can't be stateless (it is actually illegal to strip a person of citizenship if it will leave them stateless so until she has British citizenship she can't give up her US one).

The BRF will have ringbarked their fortune to ensure that Meghan is supported appropriately and in such a way as to pay as little as possible, if any, to the IRS and it will all be legal and meet the requirements of both countries.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have established a 'Meghan fund' into which a certain number of pounds were placed before the wedding and that she is getting nothing else ... or she is currently using her own money and nothing else. There will be no joint bank accounts or Meghan's name on any legal documents relating to owning anything yet. They won't come until she is no longer a US citizen.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 07:50:15 am »

Maybe that was the problem before the wedding they wanted to protect Harry and he ddint.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
sanka
gossip insider

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 08:17:32 am »

I am surprised that this wasn't examined and worked out prior to the marriage.  They would have to follow due process in both countries but surely having a US citizen with royalties etc from acting was factored into how it would have been treated from IRS and any HMRC obligations.

I assume given the Princess Royal, Diana and Fergie divorces that the RF have become savvy with finances for those that marry into the family.
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 12:19:22 pm »

They had over a year to sort out how to protect themselves from the IRS. There were reports that Charles finances were up for examination. Last year, he hid Meghan’s spending in the section Other on the financials when the year before, the cost for the upkeep of Harry, Wills and Waity was broken down. It would make sense for Meghan to be on her own to deal with the taxes. It would make zero sense for the royal family to not protect themselves. IMO, Meghan’s being used as you see how the image of Charles and Wills and Waity’s press has gotten positive over the last few months; the same press that Harry used to get.

Keep Calm and Carry On
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 12:32:48 pm »

^^ and ^I agree.  The BRF org is not stupid with money and how to protect it.  I have pretty much zero doubt that they have kept MM as far away from their finances as possible.  But, in an odd way, on personal levels, I've seen them be pretty reckless with spending and merchandising.  They are so accustomed to having absolute power that I'm not fully confident that Harry and Sparkles, on their own, have been super smart here.

I'm also not sure people elsewhere understand just how powerful the IRS is.  They are not subject to any constitutional checks at all.  They have a free hand to look and investigate and audit anyone's finances without any reason whatsoever.  There is literally no group or administrative, executive (Prez) or congressional power to interfere.  That is why a tax attorney is imperative who understands any privacy laws.

So, even if Harry and Meg jointly own a television (example) together, the IRS can inspect all resources associated with the BRF.

Plus, any child they have will be a US citizen immediately and, unless renounced, subject to the US tax investigative powers through MM.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
sandy
Princess

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 02:24:10 pm »

I think they got permission. And Harry and Meghan got a televised wedding with all the trimmings.

Problems like these can be resolved. IMO.
Miss Hathaway
Duchess

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 02:52:54 pm »

^^ Yes, the IRS can peek under any rock it wishes.  The Queen's advisors certainly know this and so one must be led to believe that the reason Meggles has been allowed to behave like a crazed peacock without restraint is that the Brits were sitting back with their stiff upper lips, sipping their tea, and waiting for the IRS to pay attention.  And perhaps some discreet communication was conducted between an IRS office and somewhere in England. . .         bored3

And Harry and Meghan got a televised wedding with all the trimmings

It was televised, but definitely not all the trimmings -- quite cut rate for a royal wedding and Megs didn't get the tiara she had her heart set on. . . .  Kate-Horror-Queen    Bless her!    Tongue
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: