Royal Gossip
April 20, 2019, 12:08:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remembrance Day 2018  (Read 2501 times)
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« on: November 05, 2018, 04:59:38 pm »

In the week of Remembrance, The Queen, and Members of the Royal Family, join the nation in commemorating and honouring the men and women who have sacrificed themselves in Service to our country.
https://www.royal.uk/remembrance-2018

Kensington Palace Nov 4
‏The Duke of Cambridge attends the Submariners’ Remembrance Service and Parade.

The parade is held annually to honour submariners of all generations who have ‘Crossed the Bar’ in service to their country.

HRH is Commodore-in-Chief of the Submarine Service.
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal

@Gertsroyals
Attending #FestivalOfRemembrance @RoyalAlbertHall on Sat 10th:
Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry, Meghan, Andrew, Edward, Sophie, Anne & Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, Duke & Duchess of Gloucester, Duke of Kent and Prince & Princess Michael of Kent.

New Engagement: Sun 11th in evening there will be a special Service to mark the Centenary of the Armistice at Westminster Abbey.
Attending:
Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, Harry & Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:05:37 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 08:54:30 pm »

This is the link to the full list of who is doing what for the various events in the UK for Remembrance Sunday. Interestingly no mention of any member of the BRF going to any events in France:

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 09:42:36 pm »

^ odd or maybe not.

Also probably DoE not attending anything.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:08 pm »

This is the link to the full list of who is doing what for the various events in the UK for Remembrance Sunday. Interestingly no mention of any member of the BRF going to any events in France:

Maybe the French government has told the BRF that they are not welcome in the country.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:30:33 am »

This year is significant in that each participating country seems to be commemorating their own war dead with special ceremonies. For instance members of the BRF will be in various parts of Britain over a few days to remember the 800,000 British casualties of WW1 (almost up to a million, if Empire war dead are counted in that total.)

Members of the BRF have gone over to France for various ceremonies this year. Charles was in France for Anzac Day to remember the Australians who died, William went over to Amiens in August I think to take part in a large Church service of remembrance, for example, so they're certainly not disinvited, just needed more at home this year, due to the different ceremonies.

Looks like, as he always has, Harry will be alone for the ceremony on the 8th. Meghan joins him and the rest of the BRF for the Festival of Remembrance, Remembrance Sunday (on the balcony with the other females, probably Camilla and Kate) and the Westminster Abbey service.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:37:10 am by Rosella » Logged
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:22:16 am »

If Philip is with the Queen, and short of being on his deathbed I suspect he will be there, Camilla will be on the same balcony as them as she was last year.

If Philip isn't with the Queen, then Camilla and Kate will be on the central balcony.

Meghan would be relagated to the second balcony with Sophie and probably Birgitte.

They could change and have four on the first balcony if they wanted to of course.
CathyJane
Princess

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 01:36:31 am »

Maybe the French government has told the BRF that they are not welcome in the country.

Wouldn't surprise me after the mess with W&W and the nude pix.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 02:11:47 am »

And yet William was invited to attend the events at Amiens as recently as August this year.

Mrs May will be at an event in France on Thursday but it seems that other than that the British won't be invovled in the events in France - while the Russians and Americans will be (along with many other nations).
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 02:28:40 am »

I just wonder if whether or not the French officials are genuinely inviting out of affectionate interest, or just plain cold diffidence. There is a HUGE difference and it will affect how the BRF manages to maintain alliances in the future. William and Co. are not aware of just the fact that once HM is gone, it'll be Charles' duty to maintain the alliances and ties that HM managed to build and maintain. Believe me, I think behind the invites is a quiet wish that William would just stay out of their lives/nation. It's such a huge slap in the face to deliberately prosecute a photographer, get him jailed, demand money (money he will never need) from a publication that publishes under the rights of freedom of speech, and then go on an official trip smiling, shaking hands, with the very officials who are tasked by their people to maintain freedom of speech and freedom of their nation's press.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 02:50:31 am »

^William was invited to Amiens as a member of the BRF, as the Queen's grandson, and as official representative of a nation whose young men died in their hundreds and thousands in the fields of northern France and Belgium for four years between 1914 and 1918. 'Affection' and 'interest' don't come into it.

^William is a public figure and the grandson of the Head of State of GB. I would be extremely surprised if French leaders cared a huge lot about a minor and sleazy magazine being sued. Privacy laws are very strict in France and the politicians are quite content for it to be so, otherwise the laws would be changed.

^^^^ That wasn't the case on the balcony last Remembrance Day. Camilla was with the Queen and Prince Philip. Kate was with Sophie and Alexandra. Meghan may well be with Kate this year. I doubt that she will be consigned to standing with the wife of the Queen's cousin on some third balcony.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/12/remembrance-sunday-queen-watch-whitehall-service-balcony-first/
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 04:59:50 am »

Where Meghan will stand in terms of on balconies will be determined, I suspect, by whether Philip turns up.

If Philip is there then

1. balcony 1 will be The Queen, Philip and Camilla - as it was last year
2. balcony 2 will be Kate, Meghan and Sophie
3. balcony 3 will be the Duchess of Gloucester, Princess Alexandra and Tim Laurence (unless he is down with Anne)

If Philip isn't there then Kate will move onto balcony 1 and Meghan will be with her aunt-in-law and I suspect the Queen's cousins.

They won't crowd out the Queen with four on that balcony I suspect.

As for the comments about William and his prosecuting the French photographers - he was using French laws which are far more protective of individual privacy than many other nations as the French value individual freedom above freedom of the press. Many years ago Princess Caroline of Monaco took some French photographers to court and was paid a huge sum which resulted in the French changing their laws to protect individual privacy of celebrities and others in the public eye from the prying nature of the press. Since then the French legal system has strongly encouraged the sort of actions William took. It mightn't be allowed to happen in some countries but in France individual privacy will trump press freedom. That is their laws and customs.

I very much doubt that France would not invite a British royal to some event simply because they abided by French laws.

It actually seems like no British will be at the events in France on Remembrance Day as PM May is only expected there on Thursday and will be at the Cenotaph in London along with the rest of the British leadership.

Why there appears to be no British represenatations in France we don't know. I suspect that there is a mutual agreement that France will host the events during the day while the British do their normal thing and then in the evening when there is the church service at Westminster Abbey the British will play host - after all the Queen is hosting the President of Germany at that service while the Chancellor (or PM equivalent) will be in France.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 01:19:37 am »

Prince Philip set to miss Sunday’s Remembrance Day service for FIRST time

PRINCE Philip is set to miss this Sunday’s Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph for the first time – which is being attended by the Queen and other members of the Royal Family. A Buckingham Palace spokeswoman has confirmed there is “no expectation” the Duke of Edinburgh will attend.
This year's event takes on added significance as it marks the 100th anniversary of the end of the First World War.

The 97-year-old officially retired from royal duties in May 2017 but he did attend last year’s service in Whitehall.

Along with her Majesty the Queen the pair watched the war memorial from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office balcony.

During the service Prince Philip appeared at times unsteady on his feet and had trouble standing.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1041624/prince-philip-health-latest-remembrance-day-royal-news-queen-elizbeth-II-Cenotaph
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 02:29:03 am »

I think, that like the weddings etc earlier this year, the decision will be made on the morning itself.

As a WWII veteran himself I am sure he would want to be there along with the other WWII veterans who will be there and many of whom will then march past Princess Anne.

Maybe they should think about letting him be at the FCO until the wreath laying and have him come out only for that part of the ceremony. Or they should have a seat for him rather than expect him to stand all the time.

I imagine he will be there if he is at all able to be there.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 02:52:10 am »

Yes, I agree. And I can't see why a chair wasn't provided last year, when Prince Philip was standing there coughing and gasping for air. I suspect though that he would fiercely refuse any such aid. He'll be there standing upright or not at all!
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 06:03:32 am »

Prince Philip: Queen's husband takes reins of carriage in Windsor in chilly autumn ride
PRINCE Philip has been spotted braving the chilly weather as he drove a carriage around the grounds of Windsor Castle earlier today.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1042072/prince-philip-health-latest-driving-carriage-pictures-windsor-castle-royal-news
It’s strange that he went riding but won’t attend Rememberance Day service on Sunday.  dontknow

Keep Calm and Carry On
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 06:08:02 am »

Philip was seen out the day before as well. Lady Louise has been doing some carriage driving this week around Windsor. Perhaps he's been going out with her. I think it's a day to day thing with Philip on how he feels, though standing in the cold for a long time while the ceremony takes place on Sunday wouldn't do his 97 year old bones too much good.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 11:45:57 am »

Sitting and standing for any length of time are vastly different issues at that age with any health issues.  PP has been steadfast in appearing in public whenever possible so if he can’t make it, it’s for legit reasons.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 12:10:55 pm »

Harry's honour to the fallen heroes: Duke of Sussex marks 100 years since the end of WW1 with visit to Field of Remembrance at Westminster Abbey
Prince Harry laying a cross of remembrance three days before the centenary of the end of the First World War
Duke also honouring a two minute silence after the Last Post before meeting ex-service men and women
Dressed in his Household Division frock coat and peaked cap, duke stood among veterans at poignant event
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6366939/Duke-Sussex-marks-100-years-end-WW1-Westminster-Abbey.html

Keep Calm and Carry On
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 02:15:51 pm »

This is an important anniversary year and I'm sure Harry feels honoured and proud to be taking part in the Field of Remembrance ceremony again for 2018, and meeting ex servicemen and women afterwards. Harry always looks his best in uniform and the gold braid as ADC adds a finishing touch!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 03:15:53 pm »

Very moving ceremony.

Harry's wearing his service cap outside of regulations, tho.  Just back a touch, buddy.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2018/11/08/14/5927682-6366939-The_Duke_shared_a_joke_with_service_men_and_women_after_he_had_p-a-37_1541687584196.jpg

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: