Royal Gossip
March 20, 2019, 01:46:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Meghan's patronages  (Read 3195 times)
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:44 pm »

Meghan Markle has been confirmed as the new patron of the National Threatre a day early - after her secret unveiling ceremony was posted on their website.

The Duchess of Sussex, 37, is set to be announced as the royal patron of the National Theatre tomorrow, but an IT gaffe saw the occasion listed under their events section.

The embarrassing blunder was spotted by journalist Hannah Furness, who shared a screenshot on Twitter with the caption: 'Whoops! Looks like the first patronage 'secret' is officially official thanks to the National Theatre's IT department. "The Duchess of Sussex announced as our new Royal Patron".'

The event has since been removed from the website.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6574555/Meghan-Markle-confirmed-new-patron-National-Theatre-day-early-gaffe.html

Duchess of Sussex's first patronage revealed as National Theatre makes accidental online announcement

It has been one of the most closely guarded secrets of the Duchess of Sussex's career, as she worked behind-the-scenes to perfect her first Royal patronages and announce them to the world.

That is, until someone at the National Theatre got a little overexcited.

The theatre has accidentally published confirmation that the Duchess would be their official royal advocate on their website, with a photograph celebrating the news.

In a message on the main ‘what’s on’ page of their website, dated January 10th and intended to be shared once the news was confirmed by Kensington Palace, it declared: “The Duchess of Sussex announced as our new Royal Patron”. 

The patronage is currently held by the Queen, who is understood to handing it over to her new granddaughter-in-law in a public show of support.

The role will be considered an ideal fit for the Duchess, who was an actress before she married into the Royal Family.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2019/01/09/duchess-sussexs-first-patronage-revealed-national-theatre-makes/

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:47:01 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:37 pm »

I think it is better if the discussion continues here

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 09:59:29 pm »

It wasn’t officially given to her for the company to announce her as being patron, so it is indeed a blunder and an embarrassment and had to be removed.
Was it Meghan who told the company that the patronage will be officially announced tomorrow? It’s Waity’s birthday and the royal family website put this online stating what her role is as a duchess.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/929a7abde958ce014a42092497af2e84/tumblr_inline_pl2wwwAdeu1vh0s4w_1280.jpg

A royal insider told the paper the decision was a mark of the Queen's growing confidence in the Duchess, who married Prince Harry in May.  huh
Both the National Theatre and the Palace have declined to comment.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6574555/Meghan-Markle-confirmed-new-patron-National-Theatre-day-early-gaffe.html
Why would the queen have growing confidence in her when she’s brought nothing but caps, scandal and extravagant Hollywood tacky celebrity pr tactics and lifestyle to the royal family? It’ll be interesting to see what announcement will be made tomorrow due to this blunder and the fact that she’s not wanted or respected in the acting world or can be seen as a trusted fundraiser.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:07:43 pm by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
sandy
Princess

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 12:30:18 am »

I don't get the big deal about it being Doolittle's birthday.  So nothing can be said and the world must come to a halt. Maybe Trump should have moved his speech up so the DM's headlines would not overshadow Waitey's.  

Waitey did not even know what a Faberge egg was when she went to a Museum patronage and she an art major.

It is amusing to me how the DM commentators cite the great actors and how offensive it is for Meghan to be a patron. ANd two of the names jump out: Burton and O'Toole both heavy drinkers and hell raisers and make Harry and Meghan look like church mice.. They would have a great laugh over this if they were stlll around today.

Nobody said Meghan was a SHakespearean actress. I say let her do it.  If that is the criteria then Edward who dabbled in stage acting and did the Royal Knockout could be chosen instead. LOL
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:34:57 am by sandy » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 12:48:50 am »

Thing is, that as a senior royal, usually there would be fetes and a grand announcement and other such pomp. Her husband makes a snide joke, plus the fact that it's not dominating the DM as it otherwise might.

I think Meg announced it prematurely to challenge HM into bowing to her very public attempt at taking control of a patronage from HM and HM is having none of it. You know, even Diana never got away with challenging HM, despite the power that her popularity gave her.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 12:58:42 am »

I think the patronage was decided a while ago with the Queen's approval. Meghan could not appoint herself. The Queen would quickly withdraw it or issue a statement saying this is false. The DM is stirring things up with provocative headlines.

Meghan does not need to be a Helen Mirren or a Shakespearean actress It's merely a royal patronage where she would appear in only a ceremonial role.

I don't recall the big fusses made over Diana's birthday except the very first one she had when she turned 20 shortly before the wedding. Will makes some snide comment about Kate's. Even Charles did not do that with Diana.

I think the Queen should complain to the DM about this. No way could Meghan appoint herself and "leak" something from the National Theatre. The DM is getting mileage out of this.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 01:06:58 am »

When they announce a patronage it is done with the agreement of the organisation and they know weeks, if not months in advance. Often the organisation approaches the BRF to ask for a patron or when there is an existing patronage - as is the case here - the family discusses who would be the best fit for that organisation. This decision is just one The Queen has made but one made with the agreement of the entire family. I suspect it came down to a discussion between two royals - Edward or Meghan. Edward is currently, and has been for some time, patron of the National Youth Theatre and so it would have made sense for him to take on the National Theatre as well or even for him to take on the National Theatre with Meghan the National Youth Theatre or to do what they have done - leave Edward where he is and give Meghan the National Theatre.

This isn't a decision that was made yesterday and the National Theatre told yesterday but one that would have been in the works for months, especially as the Queen is divesting herself of her charities and organisations. I am sure more announcements will come over time.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 01:09:28 am »

This whole patronage to the NT is nothing but a joke.  An insult, really, to the org to have some bit tv actress rub elbows with theater actors of such towering talent.  What are you thinking, HM?  

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 01:13:06 am »

I agree KF. She usually announces stuff and ends up getting them. I think this time though it should be known that it was a mistake.
Sandy, I think it’s an insult to have a woman that spent her acting career playing only the hot girl roles. I think if a person in the profession was chosen, he/she would’ve had to have great acting chops and the respect of their peres. Those that you mentioned do/did because although they may’ve been a mess, they had what it took to get accolades from the industry and the public.
Edward would’ve been ok because he’s an actual royal who’s worked in that field behind the scenes.
The article last week stated that the company didn’t do anything with the royal family and went on about the elitism and not wanting to being out of touch. To me, they’re looking for someone with a non posh background. Meghan’s considered part of the royal family and has shown by her own actions to be very much in the posh elite although she’s a tacky classless foreign commoner.
^I totally agree but it’s not official until it’s made official with an announcement from KP like Wills patronage was done today.

Keep Calm and Carry On
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 01:14:38 am »

I think Meg made this announcement, hoping to bluff her way into turning it into an actuality. Meg is openly challenging HM publicly and directly over this.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 02:20:12 am »

The thing that's bad for Meghan this time is that her acting peers will tear her down without mercy. They'll have legitimate cause to do so since they're involved with the NT and will need someone who'd get to do fundraising and that person couldn't be soeone who's made a career of playing bit part doing sexual situations.

Keep Calm and Carry On
CathyJane
Princess

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 02:28:49 am »

I think Meg made this announcement, hoping to bluff her way into turning it into an actuality. Meg is openly challenging HM publicly and directly over this.

If she did this, and I'm fairly sure she did knowing what we do about her, she is dumber than I thought. Challenging Liz is a HUGE no-no!
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:58 am »

Suits you Meghan! Has the Queen handed Hollywood duchess her perfect role - as patron of the National Theatre?
The handover from the Queen will lower the curtain on an association going back decades. Founded by Sir Laurence Olivier in 1963, the National first had its home at the Old Vic theatre, but relocated to its current home on the South Bank in 1976. One part of Meghan’s job will be strengthening connections between the theatre and American benefactors, and the hope is the Duchess will add a ‘Meghan dividend’.
The National Theatre has an office in New York and many of the company’s most successful productions including History Boys and War Horse have opened to rave reviews on Broadway.
Part of the role will see Meghan becoming involved with The American Associates of the National Theatre – a New York-based charity which contributes more than £3million a year to supporting the National’s work.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6561091/Has-Queen-handed-Meghan-Markle-role-patron-National-Theatre.html
I think a patron who's respected within the indusrty and recognized by the public such as an actor/actress from humble beginings and worked their way up using acting talent and not the casting couch.

Keep Calm and Carry On
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 02:53:40 am »

If in fact this is true, then HM has been very publicly defeated.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 02:58:00 am »

The early announcement appeared on the National Theatre website. How would Meghan be able to get into their website and make such an announcement. If this had come from the KP website maybe it would be Meghan but not when it was on the National Theatre website. She doesn't have access to that site.
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 03:04:01 am »

^but she could've told Rufus Norris that it was a done deal and to put the announcement up on the site. Who'll question her or her represetative.
Suits you Meghan! Has the Queen handed Hollywood duchess her perfect role - as patron of the National Theatre?
The handover from the Queen will lower the curtain on an association going back decades. Founded by Sir Laurence Olivier in 1963, the National first had its home at the Old Vic theatre, but relocated to its current home on the South Bank in 1976. One part of Meghan’s job will be strengthening connections between the theatre and American benefactors, and the hope is the Duchess will add a ‘Meghan dividend’.
The National Theatre has an office in New York and many of the company’s most successful productions including History Boys and War Horse have opened to rave reviews on Broadway.
Part of the role will see Meghan becoming involved with The American Associates of the National Theatre – a New York-based charity which contributes more than £3million a year to supporting the National’s work.
Rufus Norris, who succeeded Sir Nicholas Hytner as director of the National Theatre in 2015 and who lived in Ethiopia, Malaysia and Nigeria as a child, is said to be acutely aware of promoting openness to different cultures.
Until now, however, he hasn’t openly courted the theatre’s connection to the Royal Family, saying last year that the National did not use the ‘Royal’ prefix for fear of being considered elitist.
He said: ‘This country is still very class divided and anything that adds to that perception, that this place is not open to everybody, could be a downfall.’
This year Mr Norris is set to direct a stage adaptation of Andrea Levy’s award-winning novel Small Island which traces the evolution of four characters whose lives are affected by a move from Jamaica to London during World War II. Among its many themes, the play explores racism, an interracial relationship and a move to a new country. Sources say Meghan’s own story perfectly complements the play and marks a new direction for the theatre.
The Duchess, who has been outspoken about the racism her mother Doria experienced, is said to have bonded with Mr Norris. She has taken a great interest in the arts since moving to Britain. Meghan and Harry attended a benefit performance of the hit musical Hamilton to support Harry’s charity Sentebale. Before Christmas, she made a visit to Brinsworth House which supports former artists and entertainers at a residential home. She also attended the Royal Variety Performance in November.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6561091/Has-Queen-handed-Meghan-Markle-role-patron-National-Theatre.html
A play about racism and boom, Meghan's the patron or is she just being used for pr to get the word out about this play?  bored3  Now would be a good time for the press to do an article about how this woman uses the race card and how she identifies as caucasion. The dumb thinking that if a person f colour's not part of a family or organization, they're elitist and no open to everybody. It's bloody nuts, but that's what's being going on and what the royal family faces.
I think a patron who's respected within the indusrty and recognized by the public such as an actor/actress from humble beginings and worked their way up using acting talent and not the casting couch. There's a tape of her saying that she's a fraud because she used to lie to casting drectors that she had her union card I believe and laughing off her deceit. She's a liar and a fraud an an eternal victim.

Wow is me as I'm being criticized for no reason just on the verge of my getting this prestigious honor from my bestie, the queen.    bored3 bored3  She's not a star or beloved like Diana and the criticism she's getting was of her own doing.
Meghan Markle Reportedly Not Coping Well With Superstardom
The Duchess of Sussex is rumored to be bothered by the constant attention and negative press. "Live From E!" reacts to the Royal's
https://www.eonline.com/shows/live_from_e/videos/281202/meghan-markle-reportedly-not-coping-well-with-superstardom

Keep Calm and Carry On
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 05:04:41 am »

The decision would have been made weeks, if not months, ago. It isn't a decision Her Majesty is making tonight. Rufus Norris would have known of this decision for some time ... and would have been in agreement with it.

Royals don't announce patronages without the agreement of the organisation to begin with. There is a lot of work to match royal to organisation and the organisation is fully aware weeks or more in advance of any announcement with often meetings taking place even before that.

The fact that Meghan had had an official meeting in December made this clear that this was going to be happening. That meeting was listed in the CC and thus with Her Majesty's approval.
misanthrocrat
courtier

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 05:30:12 am »

If there is one thing I dislike is the save africa theme...or any developing country....

I know Diana did a lot in that type of area that really helped but I wonder if the rest that do this type of activities do help or it ends up being like PR for them...

Nooooo! You think???...

On a related note - will someone explain to me what exactly does the patron do?
They attach their name to the org? They state that they go there,buy from there or support it in name?
It boggles my mind a little.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:34:25 am by misanthrocrat » Logged

“To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.”
― Mark Twain
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 06:46:53 am »

Royals aren't patrons of commercial businesses. Shops and stores where the Queen shops can apply for Royal warrants and the outward confirmation of that will be that the coloured Royal Arms hangs over the shop premises over the window or door. They are almost all old, conservative London firms, for instance Lobbs, where Royal males buy their hand made shoes, has been in business for over 200 years.

Royal Patrons appear on the paperwork and documents, and sometimes on letterheads, ie letters to donors. The royal sometimes appears at premieres of shows or the ballet of national theatres or the tennis (as Kate does at Wimbledon.) They and their partners can appear at dinners or balls to which donors and potential donors are invited. On these occasions they sometimes speak to potential donors, though the Queen has rarely appeared on these evenings and never takes an active role in fund raising. Speeches are made in support of the organisation, and meetings are held with auxiliary support organisations who help to raise funds. 
beline
courtier

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:12 am »

KP announced her four patronages :

National Theatre
Association of the Commonwealth Universities
Mayhew
Smart Works ( and she has a visit there scheduled for today)

https://www.royal.uk/duchess-sussex-announces-patronages
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: