Royal Gossip
November 16, 2018, 06:11:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grenfell cookbook launch September 20  (Read 5764 times)
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2018, 06:58:44 pm »

This charity book looks awfully like the gofundme campaign two people did for a homeless person, raised $250K and then didn't give a penny to the homeless person. IMO Megan is making money for herself and is trying to monetize the gullible minions.

LadyLaura
Countess

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2018, 07:07:42 pm »

worship
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2018, 07:09:44 pm »

The cookbook’s 128 pages and Meghan’s forward’s allegedly 3 pages where she mainly talks about herself. The book’s release dates the 20 September as she’ll be lauding over her event at KP gloating how she made the book a success.
^^ITA too.

Keep Calm and Carry On
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2018, 08:45:37 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but does this make sense?

Photography for the recipe book, by Jenny Zarins, was done at a kitchen at Kensington Palace.  huh
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2018/09/17/duchess-sussex-announces-first-solo-project-support-grenfell/

I don’t get why the photographs weren’t taken at the actual kitchen these women cook in. What sort of madness is this? Isn’t this a security breach as this area should be off limits to the public? There’s talk on the blogs about how angry people are about how she blatantly exploited these women.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:52:48 pm by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
livylivy
Countess

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 08:51:14 pm »

flower Thank you very much Yooper for all the info!

I honestly don' t think the book is such a bad thing, at least meghan is working, she' s doing something, unlike her sister in law.
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 09:02:11 pm »

She allegedly has copyrighted the book under HRH Duchess of Sussex. Don’t know if this is true. I’ve read this also on another blog. She only wrote the forward so how can she have the copyright under her title?

Anonymous said: She copyrighted the book to HER, not to any Grenfell survivors group – she owns this cookbook it is hers. Think about this – she used KP resources and Foundation resources and Grenfell survivors but COPYRIGHTED the book to herself as HRH DoS. She OWNS this book. This sure looks like Meghan promoting her life as a foodie is she still pursuing her food show for her post Harry…
https://jerseydeanne.tumblr.com

Keep Calm and Carry On
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:38 pm »

I  think she copyrighted her forward not the whole book

snaps of the forward
https://keepingupwiththebananadrama.tumblr.com/post/178184576633/the-3-page-foreword-ill-play-nice-i-may-have
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:18:24 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 09:53:44 pm »

Thanks Fly. It’s true about the forward being very long.
The DM has stopped comments on the main article about the book. It’s been over 4 hours since the last new one. Now the issue with photos taken in the kitchen at KP has to be clarified as now I’ve read that the pictures were taken at a Muslim centre. Nothing involving this woman is ever clear and above board.

https://www.vogue.com/article/this-is-meghan-markles-favorite-recipe-from-her-new-cookbook

Keep Calm and Carry On
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 01:33:40 am »

What a word salad that intro is.  I dunno.  I’d be behind this if all profits were going to the facility but they’re not.  Plus, it’s just a touch too slick, too produced, too designed.  Somebody’s making money off of this, I can smell it, and that bothers me.  I’d like to dig and see if she has any connection with the photographic or publishing staff at all.

She has every right to copywrite her own submission to protect its use but I wouldn't have advised her to do so.  If it ever happens that she receives even one percentage penny of future sales or can stop future releases pin her lifetime, it will bite her very badly.  It wasn’t necessary to write 3 paragraphs of her life story, either.  One page extolling the virtues of the people involved is far more impactful.

I’m for anything that helps anyone in this horror of a fire and if it helps even a little, that’s all right by me.  The fact that it’s also a calculated mission to help her image is just part of the price of admission, I guess.  Their fundraising practices just astonish me with the partnered self-glorification. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  No pun intended to kitchen staff.

Everything she’s been involved with, to date, has a definite whiff of the over-rehearsed and self serving.  It’s who she is.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 01:41:10 am »

Waity, Ican’t call her Kate, didn’t copyright the forwards for the books she wrote the forwards for, so IMO, as usual something doesn’t sit well with Meghan doing so.

She’s the duchess and Harry’s just Prince Harry.  tehe  
https://78.media.tumblr.com/05602149602f428591a8f4dc60dbf5bb/tumblr_inline_pf85kxIQ551vbs09v_540.jpg

Confusing over where the pictures where taken although a photographer said it was in the kitchen at KP.
https://78.media.tumblr.com/4989bbfe274670822733a05a7342f0c6/tumblr_pf84shTVvs1w23psx_540.jpg
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:49:14 am by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 02:15:01 am »

'Together', the cookbook for the Hubb Community kitchen is now #1 on the cookery/hospitality section of Amazon UK. It was a couple of hours ago listed as unavailable in the US Amazon lists (sold out.) I've read that it went to the top of those lists in several European countries like Spain as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Sellers-Books/zgbs/books
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 02:51:09 am »

^It's not sold out in the US on Amazon.  It's available for pre-order.  $17USD

And, the US site indicates:

A portion of the proceeds from the sales of Together will go to The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (registered charity number: 1132048), or its wholly owned trading subsidiary, The women of the Hubb Community Kitchen in London invite you to make their favorite simple dishes for your loved ones.

Sooo, it is clear that there is no idea what "portion" goes to the Hubb kitchen.  The publisher receives 50%.  There are also operating costs so I still need to do some math to get some idea of breakdown.  At some point, now that it's sold in the US, those figures will have to be made available.

Source:

https://www.amazon.com/Untitled-174080-Clarkson-Potter/dp/1984824082/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537234982&sr=8-1&keywords=Together%3A+our+community+cookbook

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 02:54:00 am »

ROBERT HARDMAN: It's tears and kisses at Meghan’s secret trips to Grenfell, as Duchess launches cookbook for her first solo crusades
Now, more than a year later, it is food which is continuing that process – with a little help from the duchess.
Yesterday, she told how she has been making secret visits to cook for Grenfell Tower victims. She recalled how in January she 'made a quiet trip to Al-Manaar, a mosque close to the Grenfell community'.
Echoing secret charity visits made by Princess Diana, Meghan made a number of private trips to the centre to meet volunteers.
In her first solo project as a royal, she 'got stuck in straight away' donning an apron at the community kitchen and helping create a charity cookbook.
Recalling the duchess's first visit, she said: 'She came into the kitchen, very relaxed, very friendly, down to earth. She wore an apron. I can't believe I made her wash rice!'
In choosing to make her first public solo project a community kitchen for women affected by the ghastly Grenfell fire, the duchess is already putting down a few markers on the way she plans to configure her public programmes: hands-on and informal, but professional too.
A video to launch the cookbook has a slick documentary feel that might almost have been put together by someone with a long track record of making TV shows...  eating cookies  she was probably the producer and director making sure that the focus remains solely on her.
The duchess talked to a number of projects but, I understand, developed a particular bond with this one as she could do something tangible to help – and also, in part, because she has a keen interest in food. It was, after all, while roasting a chicken that she became engaged to Prince Harry.   tehe Whem she was with Corey, she wanted to use him to launch her foodie career. I guess Harry's now given that opportunity to her.
The women at the Hubb needed funds to extend their operation from two days a week to seven, and the duchess had the idea of a cookbook. She helped workers get administrative assistance and, crucially, a publisher, leaving the women to get on with doing what they do best: cooking.
However, the duchess's involvement has not stopped there. On Thursday, she will help prepare the lunch the Hubb team will serve at Kensington Palace to launch their book.  huh  what's up with this? Shouldn't this be in ne of the event rooms? Why have this event in the kitchen?
Few can recall the last time a prince or princess was down in a palace kitchen, sleeves rolled up. In due course, many more traditional patronages will follow.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-6178553/ROB-HARDMAN-tears-kisses-Meghans-secret-trips-Grenfell.html
They only talk of her first visit and not of the other ones she allegedly made to the kitchen. She started this in January, roughly 6 weeks after her engagement.

Royal reporter Phil Dampier says Meghan’s cook book had ‘palace approval’ but Australia tour will see her on world stage
Veteran royal reporter Phil Dampier, author of Royally Suited Harry and Meghan in their Own Words said: 'It's quite unusual to get involved with a project like this in such depth so soon, especially making several visits in secret.
But it's certainly not unheard of royals to write forwards to books and support causes like this.
'She would have to be careful not to get too involved in one or two causes and be seen to be personally involved with fund-raising.
'If something went wrong then it could backfire, but I'm sure she has done this with the approval of palace aides, notable the Queen's Assistant Private Secretary Sam Cohen who has been allocated to guide Meghan.  eating cookies  Umm, I don't know about that.
'I think with the big tour to Australia, New Zealand Tonga and Fiji next month Meghan will really arrive on the world stage as a royal and from then on we will see a lot more of her.'  thumbsdown
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6175569/Meghan-cooks-Grenfell.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 02:59:18 am by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2018, 03:14:30 am »

So it's now available again, good! Several posters on other Royal forums were reporting that it was being classed as 'unavailable'. Amazon must have ordered another batch. I noticed on that link that it's classed as #1 in the Amazon US celeb and TV show section and it's only been a few hours. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/7661753011/ref=zg_b_bs_7661753011_1

Pippa, eat your heart out!
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2018, 03:33:31 am »

IMO, the category's wrong as it's based on Meghan and not the charity. All of the marketing seems to refer to the book being hers and she came up wiyh the idea

Meghan’s helping hand for fire victims
First opened in September last year the Hubb, which means love in Arabic, welcomes cooks on Tuesdays and Thursdays but organisers hope it will become a seven-day operation if the cookery book raises £250,000 from sales of 50,000.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1018973/royal-news-latest-meghan-duchess-sussex-grenfell-cooking-hubb-recipe-book
I don't know how this book will raise that amount of money when the proceeds will be given to other things.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 03:40:33 am by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2018, 03:44:10 am »

^It won't.  The math doesn't lie.  

^^It's not "available again" in the US.  That's inaccurate.  Not if it's in pre-order status and not available until Sep 25.  

Windsor, I've reviewed the Foundation associated with this.  I'm going to check on a couple of more things and send the annual report copy fy2017 to an accountant at a nonprofit.  Two interesting things popped out, tho.  They are 2Mpounds in the red and salaries, operational costs come just shy of 2M pounds.  That's roughly 25%+ of all the budget.  I have never seen such a high figure in my lifetime.  Also, on Dec 31, 2018 (at midnight 1/1/2019, I assume) the Princess Diana portion that has been restricted funding will become unrestricted.

It will be interesting to see the actual breakdown of this charitable endeavor and what, if any, funds are allocated to the Grenfell initiative.  Oddly, Hubb Kitchen is not a nonprofit nor has that status.  I don't even see it as a wing of the giving branch to victims, the funds of which, have been appallingly mishandled.  15% has been distributed to victims, to date.  That is a shocker.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:05:18 am by YooperModerator » Logged

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2018, 03:48:14 am »

Something is up; clearly there can't be a sold out status if the book isn't even available and as for charitable organizations in the red, something UP and it isn't nice. I do not think the money is being managed honestly and as for the book, I think the BRF is getting ahead of themselves. If it's not available to the public for pre-order, how can it be a best seller?

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 04:01:34 am »

^It can't.  No book that has never been available for sale can be a "seller".  Not yet anyway.  Now, Amazon could be using the #1 best seller tag from the U.K., tho.  But, that's just marketing.  The fact is, it has never been available for sale in the US yet.

However, and this is where it gets finally interesting.  The publishing house, which is making money off of this is based in, you guessed it, the USA.  They are an imprint house under Crown Publishing, under Penguin.  Soooo, the US company gets the 50% profits from sales plus whatever advertising and operating fees.  That's how itnworks.  Also, one of their authors is that Chopra chick.

https://marketlist.com/writers_markets/2882/clarkson-potter

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 04:23:11 am »

Meghan hunted down the publishing company (one that has world wide distribution) and she would naturally know more about a company in the States than she would about those in Britain, where she's lived for less than a year. And she knew that because of her Royal connection it would sell well in the US. Crown is a very reputable company and has published books by George W Bush, the Obamas and Martha Stewart as well. It's possible from her Tig days that Meghan knew who Martha Stewart's publishers were.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_Publishing_Group
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 05:17:26 am »

Yeah, I’m sure nobody, if asked, within the BRF, would ever know of a London or UK publishing company so that it helped the country within which she now resides, gets financial subsidizing from and leads.

Much easier to help a US company make money off of a UK tragedy.  She gets to help and make friends in the States.  I don’t think that’s her job. Yes, that makes sense.

This is now all about her, fundamentally.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: