Royal Gossip
November 16, 2018, 06:21:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grenfell cookbook launch September 20  (Read 5766 times)
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« on: September 17, 2018, 01:47:29 pm »

Duchess of Sussex will host an event at Kensington Palace on Thursday to mark the launch of the Grenfell cookbook. The Duke of Sussex will join her for the event.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RoyalReporter/status/1041624750194388994

Good for the people of Grenfell.its a good idea plus it's something Meghan always wanted.

Tweet about what they will be doing
https://mobile.twitter.com/scobie/status/1041625205775450112
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:54:29 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 01:58:52 pm »

https://78.media.tumblr.com/f4c4842e213a79667bb18da1e5d8ee48/tumblr_pf7301QpOP1uh38om_540.png

Keep Calm and Carry On
Cali San D
Baroness

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:11:01 pm »

Smart PR, the BRF gave her an event with non white people that she was meant to represent with her marriage to Harry and it's before their tour next month. wopedo  bored3
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »

Let's bring people together and strengthen communities through cooking

Profits from the sales of Together will support the Hubb Community Kitchen, helping to keep it open for up to seven days a week and to widen its reach to others in the community, so it can continue changing lives and bringing people together through cooking.The Duchess is supporting the project in her role as Patron of The Royal Foundation, whichThe Royal Foundation is administering the transfer of funds from the sale of ‘Together’ to the Hubb Community Kitchen and related community projects.
https://www.royalfoundation.com/project/together-cookbook/

The Duchess of Sussex Supports Cookbook Celebrating Community Kitchen

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Sussex is supporting a new charity cookbook, which celebrates the power of cooking to bring people together.

Supported by The Royal Foundation and published by Penguin Random House companies, ‘Together: Our Community Kitchen’ showcases over 50 recipes from women whose community was affected by the Grenfell Tower fire.

Last summer, a group of women gathered in a communal kitchen at the Al Manaar Muslim Cultural Heritage Centre in West London, where they could prepare fresh food for their families, friends and neighbours. As they cooked together and shared recipes, as a community they began to connect, heal and look forward. Word spread and more women joined in – this was the start of the Hubb Community Kitchen.

The proceeds from the book will support the Hubb Community Kitchen, enabling it to stay open and to thrive.

The Duchess of Sussex first visited the kitchen in January 2018 and has continued to make regular private visits. United by their passion for cooking as a way of strengthening communities, The Duchess was inspired by how the project empowers women at a grassroots level, and championed the cookbook project as a way of ensuring the kitchen can continue transforming lives and communities through cooking. Her Royal Highness has written the foreword for ‘Together’, which features the women’s own personal recipes from across Europe, the Middle East, North Africa and the Eastern Mediterranean.
https://www.royalfoundation.com/duchess-sussex-supports-cookbook-celebrating-community-kitchen/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:23:14 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Cali San D
Baroness

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 02:32:40 pm »

https://www.royalfoundation.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/1280x768_uchess-of-Sussex-Credit-Jenny-Zarins-1-768x461.jpg

I see she is wearing the apron but it's not up to her chest like the other women, her shirt is open, she could get burns when pouring hot liquids.  sly
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 02:39:11 pm »

Ok, so...

Good news:  great idea, good optics and pr for Sparkles and the Hubb Kitchen.

Bad news:  there is no indication how much of the sales go to the Foundation nor how much is tax deductible.  In addition, the wording upon purchase (I checked) allows for the funds to go to the D/D of Cambridge and Sussexes wing of the Foundation, OR the Hubb kitchen.  

Also, when I do the math, which I shouldn't have to, the Aim is 250k pounds.  The book is 9.99 pounds and they want to sell 50,000 copies.  That means the sales, at that price point, would be 500k pounds, so we know already that 50% minimum does not go to the Foundation but to the book publisher.

Without a clear breakdown of where my money is going, which portion is tax deductible and how it is divided within the Foundation, I would not purchase the book.

It would be far, far better to donate directly to the Hubb Kitchen.  That would send 100% to the charity.  (Unless you are dying for a cookbook with a dedication written by Markle.  I would rather focus on the charity, frankly.)

This is just plain lazy fundraising and continues to frustrate me on every single level.  And the shipping charges are equal to the price of the book outside the U.K.  No thank you.  

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
CarryingOn
Duchess

http://media.tumblr.com/6fa12932f6e3affcfb7d37c57f

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 04:00:57 pm »

^ So in reality, it's really not a good idea in terms of the good of fundraising for the Hubb Community Kitchen to remain open.

Personally, I don't think books are the most cost efficient idea for raising money for charities.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 04:12:45 pm »

The Duchess of Sussex supports 'Together' cookbook celebrating community kitchen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gXwBYs2Ulw

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 04:33:57 pm »

^^Cookbooks are, generally, a good idea.  Especially, in this case, for a kitchen.  The problem with this project is that it is not donor-focused.  Any donor needs to know upfront if any portion is tax deductible and what percentages go directly to the org of choice.  They are not doing that.  And, it’s extremely unprofessional not to do so.

The only way these initiatives really work in a stellar way is if the book publication costs are underwritten.  For instance, is this publishing company making a profit?  Do they donate any of their costs to publication?  Highly doubtful.

Or, you have the org make the book at home with loving hands, which people love.  Binding machines, like punch hole, are everywhere and I have never had any company not donate the usage for a project.  Same with copying of pages and cover design. 

This, however, requires professional staff who know what they’re doing and organize the efforts.  These are cherished volunteers.  Then, and only then, is the project 100% for the charity, which is what they are saying in a highly veiled way.  But, it’s not true.

That’s why it’s lazy fundraising.  It requires effort. Great idea, good pr for MM but where the bottom line falls, not much $ for Hubb Kitchen nor good stewardship for the donor.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 04:55:36 pm »

I agree with just donating the money straight to the charity. I can’t believe that the cost of shipping’s so high to ship within the U.K. I’ve read in the blogs that the forward that she wrote is 3 pages long and has lots of paragraphs that that starts with “I”. She’s talking about herself and what she’s done regarding charity.  bored3  Isn’t the purpose of the forward to highlight the purpose of the kitchen and how it’s helping in the community and to mention the women that run the place and how people can help keep the kitchen open?  
It’s not a good look for the Foundation as Yooper said, the breakdown of how much will go where and what’s tax deductible regarding donations hasn’t been revealed. Why pay the Foundation to distribute the funds when a direct donation can be made to the kitchen. Better yet, visit the kitchen and purchase the book that should be on sale there and also make a donation. Meghan’s promoting Mehgan.
It’s hard to believe that this is in London. I’m used to seeing white black and brown people. This looks like she’s in the Middle East somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:04:13 pm by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 05:09:50 pm »

I do believe this cookbook idea is asinine and typical of a celeb who no longer has any real career.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 05:21:05 pm »

^^If an actual nonprofit was in charge, windsor, the shipping rate would be at the nonprofit rate.  So, that leads me to the logical conclusion that the publishing co is not affiliated with the org and is making a profit.  That shipping rate, btw, is for outside the U.K.  I forget what it was for inside.  Not sure.

All somebody had to do was pick up the phone and ask, oh, let's say Range Rover to underwrite the publishing and shipping costs in return for a thank you at the end with their logo.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

^It is.  This follows the same formula for celebrity charities.  Instead of bottom-up planning with the charity at the top, the celebrity is the focus.  Major headache every time I did one of these things.  Mostly a loss, really, except for the volunteers who worked the cleanup, prep and thank you letters.

That's right, guys.  Every single person who purchases a book should get a thank you letter and updates on the Project.  Not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:35:56 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

LadyLaura
Countess

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 05:29:30 pm »

is this the scam megs and platypus lips were concocting  spy
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 05:36:47 pm »

@YM - I wish you could write op-eds in publications like the DM when things like this come up. Your insight would open so many people's eyes and maybe force folks like MM to be more transparent about their motives.

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
buflesse
Duchess

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 05:37:29 pm »

Do we know if she volunteered regularly or if she just turned up once?
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 05:39:25 pm »

'I could not be more proud of you': Serena Williams praises her longtime friend Meghan Markle in a gushing Instagram post to celebrate the launch of the duchess' charity cookbook
Serena also changed her Instagram biography to include a link to a video posted on YouTube by the royal family's account. The clip, narrated by Meghan, tells the story of the Hubb Community Kitchen, which started after the Grenfell fire as a way for those affected to connect, cook together, and share recipes.
Meghan explained in the video shared by Serena that she met the women involved in the community kitchen in January 2018, as she settled to her own new life in London.
'I used to call you Meghan (and I still do) but dear Duchess of Sussex your first project Together a cookbook bringing women of all cultures together. I could not be more excited about it and proud of you,' Serena wrote to Meghan.
'It's beautiful — diversity, inclusivity, coming together in grief or joy — there is just so much love.'  bored3
According to one of the women, Meghan came up with the idea for a cookbook after asking why the community kitchen only functioned twice a week, instead of seven days a week — and being told there was a lack of funding.  huh
In the new book supported by Meghan, some of the recipes are family favorites and all have been created by the cooks who support not only residents affected by the Grenfell fire but others in the community.  
'We cook the recipes we've grown up with; there's no stress, and the recipes always work because they have been made so many times — it's proper comfort food… Swapping family recipes and moments of laughter gave us a sense of normality and home.
'We named ourselves the Hubb Community Kitchen to celebrate the thing that we all feel every time we meet – "hubb" means "love" in Arabic.'

Yooper, I look forward to reading your view on this:  eating cookies

The foundation was launched in 2011 by Prince William and his younger brother Harry – and Meghan officially became its fourth patron after her wedding on May 19.
It had an income of $11.8 million last year, and spent $12.7 million — including $10.9 million on charitable activities, of which $5.6 million was made up of grant funding.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6176509/Serena-Williams-praises-Meghan-Markle-duchess-releases-charity-cookbook.html
Foundation’s operating at a loss and now has a member who’s about serving herself and has proven to be a fake and a liar.  bignono.
She’s taking credit for coming up with theidea for the book. I thought that the book was already in progress when she went to visit. Also, all this talk about inclusive and diversity bs has gotten sickening. The book cover and the name of the kitchen says to me Muslim and only women are seen on the cover and the pictures that were released unless I’ve missed the men and the diverse public in the community this is supposed to help.
Serena and Meghan have a pr relationship that’s conducted via social media. Funny how they never spoke at the polo and at Wimbledon.  bored3 Now she’s jumped on this opportunity to erase her poor behavior at the US Open. Great tennis player bad temper and an unfortunate user like simple untalented celebrities.
^claimed she made secret visits. Matbyshe went twice as she’s seen with a white shirt and a stripped one. She’s just about the photo op and then claiming she’s done a lot to help out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:45:31 pm by windsor2 » Logged

Keep Calm and Carry On
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 05:52:54 pm »

No idea where this initiative came from.  It feels like a "how do we make Sparkles relatable to our tragedies?" meeting result with somebody.

She better not show up in something new or expensive, tho.  I mean it.  If there was ever a time to dress down, inexpensively, re-wearing something entirely and appropriately, this is it.

^On first glance, they're missing 2M pounds and in the red?  I'd have to look at the Foundation structure but I'd bet a whole lot it's on salaries, travel and "miscellaneous operating funds".  Any foundation that is losing money needs investigation and review.  Operating costs are necessary but should be paused when the break even point hits.  A solid, growing foundation should show a cushion of funding.

Hmm,  I'll look at it.

As for Serena, shut up and write a check.

The other thing someone mentioned about "diversity" and this project is correct.  The image that only women belong in the kitchen isn't very feminist.  Inclusive would've been men, women and children of all kinds.  They hit and missed there.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:58:43 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:31 pm »

The BRF is such a mess; how can the royals have their foundations running at a loss when they have all that income from all the duchies?

'I could not be more proud of you': Serena Williams praises her longtime friend Meghan Markle in a gushing Instagram post to celebrate the launch of the duchess' charity cookbook
Serena also changed her Instagram biography to include a link to a video posted on YouTube by the royal family's account. The clip, narrated by Meghan, tells the story of the Hubb Community Kitchen, which started after the Grenfell fire as a way for those affected to connect, cook together, and share recipes.
Meghan explained in the video shared by Serena that she met the women involved in the community kitchen in January 2018, as she settled to her own new life in London.
'I used to call you Meghan (and I still do) but dear Duchess of Sussex your first project Together a cookbook bringing women of all cultures together. I could not be more excited about it and proud of you,' Serena wrote to Meghan.

One more black mark against Meg among the public; Serena has just ruined her reputation and image beyond repair and now apparently Serena is reaching out to Meg as a long term buddy.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
windsor2
Princess

Harryite #21

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2018, 06:25:11 pm »

Thanks Yooper regarding looking into the finances of the Foundation. I know that Charles has funded it in the past. Maybe that’s the £5 million in grants comes from. I was the one who mentioned the lack of others being in the kitchen. I’m surprised that as a so called feminist and gender equality that she didn’t enquire where the men and others from the community are.
I guarantee that she’ll wear something new and ultra expensive on Thursday because this is her event and Harry will be part of the scenery; an extra in her performance at KP.
^I’ve no clue what the royal family’s doing regarding having a celebrity represent them as she’s using this charity for her own pr. They just roll on with this mess as if people aren’t aware of what’s going on. If this is the course of where the royal family’s going, they should just step down.

Keep Calm and Carry On
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2018, 06:46:45 pm »

Omid Scobie
Just hours after it became available for preorder, Together has topped @AmazonUK’s Food & Drink book charts and is currently the third best-selling book in the country.
A spokesman for the site tells me that demand has been “extremely high.” #CookTogether

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: