Royal Gossip
July 22, 2018, 08:09:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asking for just good thoughts (YM)  (Read 674 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« on: June 18, 2018, 05:05:53 pm »

This is my home town.  My house is mercifully ok with some lake erosion but many displaced and, so far, one possible death.  This storm came in Saturday night.  Never seen anything like it in all my years here.  Our flood (thoughts, good wishes appreciated):

http://whtc.com/news/articles/2018/jun/18/video-flash-flooding-wreaks-havoc-in-houghton/

It’s honestly a lot worse than this.  Government helicopters are flying over now to assess damage for FEMA.  Water must be boiled for drinking in many areas.

Sigh.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kins
courtier

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 05:09:11 pm »

^Oh no! Such awful news. Michigan holds a special place for me too. I have family in the lower peninsula but the UP is a favorite place to visit-charming towns! Will pray for your community!.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:32:54 pm »

How awful yooper! Sending positive vibes  hug

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 05:45:58 pm »

Facebook link deleted by Facebook because one person complained that it was upsetting but it sends everybody to my private page instead.  Jerks.

Much better pics/video for those with FB.  

Thank you, you guys!!!!  A 12 year old boy was buried in the family basement by rain/sand.  He has been heli’d out.  No clue how he is but we hear not so great.

^^Thanks, kins!  Yes, it’s a charming, beautiful part of the state.  Not even our winters do this.  Historic.  It’ll take forever to fix.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:11:18 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kins
courtier

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 05:52:31 pm »

^Those pictures are terrifying. My heart goes out to that little boy and his family. Sending so many thoughts and prayers!
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 07:45:36 pm »

Horrid news. Hoping for the best and sending prayers flower
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:53:21 pm »

Sending good vibes to the town and its inhabitants. May all be ok at the end.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 11:03:59 pm »

You guys are so awesome.

Governor has declared a state of emergency just now so the rebuilding can begin.  I am so himbled at the people who have come out to help with everything.  Amazing and hopeful in humanity.

Kins
courtier

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 11:13:25 pm »

Any update on the little boy who had to be heli'd out?
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 11:20:54 pm »

^Not a word.  We’re all holding our breath.

My school mate lost her entire house.  It was her grandmother’s and an historic registry home.  It was gorgeous but gone walls and all.  Stained glass windows from the 1800s shattered.  Unbelievable. 

LadyLaura
Countess

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:18:39 am »

sending good thoughts  flower
Val
Princess

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 01:52:46 am »

Thinking of you all.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 12:41:33 pm »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/18/us/michigan-flooding-state-of-emergency/index.html

CNN report.  No word on the young boy yet.  So far, just structural road damage is estimated to cost $100M.  That does not include private or business buildings or homes.  I’ve been asked to advise on how to best handle private donations to bring monies in properly and avoid, well, let’s call it misdirection of private funds.

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 12:55:10 pm »

I hope your house was ok Yooper.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kins
courtier

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 01:20:15 pm »

^Praying for safety for the community. Such a tragic disaster. Thank you for keeping us updated as you can Yooper Mod. So glad you are safe!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 01:55:47 pm »

thankyou thankyou thankyou  However anyone feels about prayer, they are more than well received by this grateful community.

^^Alex, my house was ok after the first round of storms but after more rain Sun/Mon I now see my bracing wall (rocks) has eroded/slipped considerably this morning and will need a full repair or at least filling in because those would crash onto my dock (or on a person! Eeek!) and that's not good.  Nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to what others are going through.  For added fun, I've seen raw sewage in our beautiful waterfront that sits in front of my house.  No one is allowed in the water for the foreseeable future.  And it's peak boating family fun time!  Such a shame.

BostonLibby
gossip insider

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 03:27:49 pm »

So very sorry to hear about your town Yooper.  I can only try to imagine what this must be like.  Best wishes to all of you on dealing with the aftermath for both material and emotional damage.
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2018, 04:40:40 pm »

Yooper, that is just absolutely shocking and sad for someone to lost their life in such a manner.  My heart goes out to you and all the communities.  Prayers and healing warm thoughts sent.  I'm so sorry.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2018, 06:26:25 pm »

http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/content/news/Donations-come-in-for-boy-injured-in-Houghton-floods-485921851.html

I’m so sorry to report that the young boy has died.

In addition, and I hope this comes out right, I am very grateful for this Forum.  It’s a place of friendship for many years and a welcome distraction and “home”.  Thank you.

Kins
courtier

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2018, 08:03:43 pm »

^That breaks my heart. I feel for his family. I will pray for them to find peace in this awful period of grief.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: