Royal Gossip
August 14, 2018, 04:12:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am starting my small book publishing company - need advice from you all  (Read 883 times)
deGuernsey
Countess

« on: November 30, 2017, 03:36:45 pm »

I am working on starting a small book publishing company separate from my other endeavours. I am getting the legal info from a former CEO which is great.I admit my background in the business doesn't include book publishing so this is new to me. I thought of forming a corporation to protect my assets just in case of lawsuits, etc. I also thought of self publishing but that isn't as professional looking as having a legal business. I will go that route if necessary but at the moment it looks like a sole  proprietorship is what I will go with. For now. I will most likely incorporate it at a later date.

I am forming the business because it is a childhood dream of mine. I wanted to publish comic books and graphic novels, books for children and adult non fiction. I know sometimes authors can have a book that can be controversial at best. I won't shy away from that. In fact, I have my own stories to write in addition and some are controversial but true.

What I want is for some of you to please give me suggestions for my business. Have any of you started a publishing company or worked for one? Do you have any suggestions or warnings for me? Seriously. I know you are a varied group of ladies and very knowledgeable. I do hope you don't mind my asking for advice. Like I wrote earlier this is a new branch of the business for me and I want to do it right. So any books to read, pitfalls to avoid? Book ideas?  thankyou

I watched a movie about the Amanda Knox case and one of the characters, a journo, said my advice is to write the story as fiction that way the truth can be told. That has to be one of the best suggestions I have heard yet. It isn't full proof of course but it is still one way to get the truth out...  flower tehe  spy spy

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 03:47:09 pm »

If you're starting a company in the US, a Limited Liability Company (LLC) is the way to go.  It protects the individual from many things such as the taxman and major losses.  For instance, if you owe a ton of taxes but can't pay, no one can take your personal assets (home, car, savings).  There used to be a down side and the income tax level was higher than general corporations but, love him or *despise* him, the Trump tax plan saves your fanny on that so it's the safest, structural bet for a startup.

If none of this applies, I apologize.  I'm not sure how a LLC works in other countries.  However, wherever you are, check all the pros and cons of taxation, personal responsibility and consequences of a loss with your country's Corp Laws.  They usually have a parallel to the US' LLC.

And, most of all, congratulations to you and your initiative!  flower

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Akasha 85
courtier

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:03:52 pm »

Awesome girl you go for it  thumbsup
Don't have any legal advise for ya but, and correct me if I'm wrong here, aren't you from the euro side of the pond? Because i think E U provides smal loanes at good rates for one person startups like yours

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

“To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.”
― William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

“Four things you can't recover:
The stone after the throw, The word after it's said, The occasion after it's missed, The time after it's gone.”
― Deanna Wadsworth
LadyLaura
Countess

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:04:16 pm »

congrats and best of luck to you!!!  flower

loveshower

can you publish my books?  tehe tehe
deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 04:15:24 pm »

Thanks. I, like many people, have shied away from the LLC but I do like the legal protection of the corporation. Its much more work and paperwork than I want to do right now but I may need it eventually.  I am being told the LLC is good way to go but I must be stubborn because I am not considering it. The one problem I have with the sole proprietorship is the potential liability. It's an easy and quick startup, and it is better than self publishing but... well, theres my dilemma...  I want to publish immediately but also make sure everything is legal and above board. Honestly, I am more concerned about possible fines if I don't follow all of the gazillion rules and regulations than I am of someone suing me for writing stories and truthfull exposes. Do you know how many stories there are in the world to tell? Literally everyone has something to say! It's mind boggling at times.  And the corruption going on in business, government, etc, is just ripe for exposing. I guess you can tell my angle? I like investigative journalism style books. I also like biographical/autobiographical works. They make the best screenplays.  thumbsup 

What do you all think of the name Lolliepop Publishing? That's my daughters nick. I can't think of any adult sounding names that I feel good about....

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 04:26:35 pm »

^That's true re an LLC.  It is a lot more paperwork and I tend to get lazy because I have a built-in lawyer for a son because an attorney is definitely required.  When I built a townhouse complex, in which I live, the paperwork was ginormous but boy did it save my a$$ with our gov and ANY copyright or attempted outside attacks.

I understand your reluctance, but something of this version will help you down the road. Just my .02.

I like the sound of Lolliepop Publishing but another caution that it does sound like a company for juveniles unless that's what you're focus is.  Sorry to be so business-like in voice.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:41:10 pm »

Wow! Thanks for the kindness everyone!  thankyou hug

^^^^I am in USA right now but once I am actually publishing whether sole proprietorship or self publish I will be making the trek to Quebec to visit cousins (Bonaventure to be precise) and to the UK and Eire (also to visit with cousins) so I will be a bit mobile at first. I can write/work virtually anywhere I go and it is a potential tax write off which is a major plus. I love travelling. I feel quite a few writing seminars coming up...  tehe

I want to get started immediately so I am pushing hard now to finalise everything. I do need to find a good copy editor. That is something I have put off doing but nope, not any more... They are just expensive unless I go the starving student route at least until my business is turning a profit ... food for thought. There are just SO MANY rules and regulations and laws to learn Shocked

^^ ^Are you a writer? I start with publishing my own work as it is the easiest but I will always want submissions when my business is going... if you are serious thumbsup

That's the great thing about this endeavour: I can publish the books I want to publish. loveshower I am just shy about the sole proprietorship route but it wouldn't make a difference if I self published or sole pr really except looking more professional... the name of the first book I am publishing is called Moon Magic.

^ Heck, no, write away! I started this thread for advice, remember! I appreciate it. It is a good thing you having a lawyer for a son! Lucky you. I did think of the name being a bit juvenile which is a good thing for my children's books but not so good for my adult non fiction works. It is possible to create a juvenile branch later and use the name. But when it comes to adult sounding names I am not sure... any suggestions anyone? flower

Barnabe et Kitty...
Akasha 85
courtier

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 04:48:42 pm »

How about Gritty Grim Publish for the adult one, since your giong the investigator road...

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

The stone after the throw, The word after it's said, The occasion after it's missed, The time after it's gone.”
― Deanna Wadsworth
deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:57 pm »

^ That has a nice ring to it... GG Publishing for short... you just might be on to something there...

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:57:50 pm »

^^You're so metal, Akasha.  Love it!

deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 05:01:39 pm »

Other possibilities...

The Real Deal Publishing (I'm thinking no)
d'Glamorgan publighing (it has a nicce Welsh ring to it)
Flaming Sword Publishing (might sound too religious)
Neo Publishing (from the character in The Matrix)
Wolf Publishing (as in fierce... I would use Red Publshing but that may sound just too commie...)
Wisdom Publishing (enlightening the masses to hidden truths, scandals, etc - also see Neo Publishing)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:03:58 pm by deGuernsey » Logged

Barnabe et Kitty...
Akasha 85
courtier

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 05:04:52 pm »

legs
Your welcome
i just had this film noir image of an nyc pi/journo popping up in my brain : ya know dick tracy stuff, overflowing ashtray next to a typewriter, sheap bourbon on the side, shady kinda office.
That sorta thing and it looks grittty grim so yeah...

― Stuart Chase

― Deanna Wadsworth
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 05:11:53 pm »

^Aah, I see now.  That makes sense.  Gum Shoe Publishing would work with that genre too.  That's a clear US reference, tho.

^^I dunno.  I like Flaming Sword.  I get a flowing tresses, heavy cleavage romance vibe from it, however.

What's wrong with deG Publishing?  Very unusual and covers all platforms.

deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 05:16:52 pm »

^^So far that is the best name yet....  easter-lol  

^ Right now it's a toss up between d'Glamorgan and Gritty Grim. I considered Clever Dick Publishing but then realised a clever dick was a smart mouth person in UK and well, in America, well.... let's just say it sounds way too adult, don't you think?  People might not think of dick as being a detective.... 

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 05:21:41 pm »

^I highly advise against using the word "dick".  It's an big insult in the US, not that we matter.  Just FYI.

How many genres again so I can focus?  This is fun and exciting!

deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 05:27:39 pm »

^Jajaja! I know but I was trying for a play on words there... hmmm... massive fail on my part...   tehe

I am publishing children's books for younger readers and then also the harder hitting adult non fiction like exposes, biographies, and books that may or may not be controversial whether written as fiction or non fiction (did I just confuse myself?) tehe . The comic book and graphic novel section will come later...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:30:23 pm by deGuernsey » Logged

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 07:07:55 pm »

^Thanks!  So very broad spectrum.  Open Book Publishing.

deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 08:14:13 pm »

^ I know! I wrote up thread that with my own company I get to publish the books I want to publish. That's one of the great things about owning my own company!!! I won't have to deal with the often strict guidelines of a major publishing house. I will simply bypass them and publish what I want and I won't need permission, etc. It's great!  loveshower

I will definitely have one or two well-defined departments such as: 01) children's books for younger readers, 02) true stories whether written as fact or fiction (as I said earlier, sometimes that is the best way to get the truth out!) and this includes exposes on individuals and corporations many bigger houses may be hesitant or downright afraid ( laugh) to publish and 03) biography/autobiography. After that, whatever I feel needs to be in print and I agree with publishing the book then I print.  

Open House seems exactly right!  tehe So far, d'Glamorgan Publishing and Gritty Grim Publishing are the best two so far. Gritty Grim sounds so silly, I love it!

Even though I have a lot of story/book ideas I am always looking for more. Believe it or not IG has provided me with quite a lot of subject ideas I would lilke to publish books on. I am considering publishing biographies on Peggy Entwistle, Pancho Barnes, Mary Anning and Sophie Scholl.  But that won't be at least until spring of next year. I can set a start date then.

Gosh, there are just sooo many corrupt people and corporations in the world! People like me will always have something to write/publilsh about.  spy tehe tehe spy
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:18:47 pm by deGuernsey » Logged

Barnabe et Kitty...
deGuernsey
Countess

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:25 pm »

I forgot I am going to have to form an LLC to publish other people's work!!! Drat!!! Now I HAVE to deal with the paperwork! Shocked

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 08:39:26 pm »

^Yep.  Sorry!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: