Royal Gossip
November 24, 2017, 08:54:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William enjoys the freedom fallen soldiers earned for him by watching rugby  (Read 287 times)
Stephanie
Princess

« on: November 11, 2017, 11:01:00 am »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-5071989/How-Harry-Wills-rugby-remembrance.html stop ick
marion
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:56:36 pm »

This says it all
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:41:22 pm »

Harry has actually never been to the Festival of Remembrance as he always goes to the rugby. The only reason there is any criticism this year is that William is doing the same thing.

I wonder which event the fallen soldiers would have referred - the rugby or the concert???

There was an acknowledgement of the fallen at the various rugby games - not just the ones William and Harry attended but all of the Southern Hemisphere versus Northern Hemisphere games including France against New Zealand.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 11:41:11 pm »

Well, the fallen soldiers haven’t a voice do they?  This is mainly for families, friends and a handful of survivors.  Speaking as one who lost a grandfather and several friends in combat, the games attended by William and Harry come across as exceedingly insensitive. 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 01:01:55 am »

As someone who lost both a great-grandfather and great uncle in the wars and have many other family members who have served I have no problem with them going to the rugby as all games acknowledged Remembrance Day. It is what my family members would have preferred to do as well - and those of them still alive watched the rugby this morning here rather than the Festival.

Each to their own but Harry has never been to the Festival as it always clashes with an England rugby game and he always goes to that. This is the first year he has been criticised for not going to the Festival presumably because William also didn't attend and it isn't done to have a go at William for doing something and then not having a go at Harry for the same thing even though in the past no one has cared that Harry hasn't been there.

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 02:18:32 am »

^ However, Harry attends the Westminster Abbey laying of the crosses on the Field of poppies each Remembrance Day weekend and William has attended no official commemorations this year so far. Plus Harry has only just had the IG to honour veterans , so I don't think the wounded, maimed and dead of all wars are very far from his mind, ever.

Having said that, I don't think that if the dead young men of WW1 could speak they would grumble about rugby games being played on Armistice Day. And if there is discontent about these rugby matches then surely the onus was on the rugby authorities to have the match played on another date than the 11th. They surely must have known some would object. It's not as if Armistice Day is a movable feast. It remains the same date each year.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:42:20 am »

Perhaps it's a different situation in the US.  Veterans Day is a national day of remembrance and respect for all veterans living and dead.  Mostly, however, for the fallen since Memorial Day is more inclusive of all deceased citizens now.

No mail moves, no federal offices or banks are open, and you would never find a tax-funded politician attending any sporting event if there was even one to attend.  There's the official day (if it falls on a Sunday, all fed offices close on following Monday) and the recognized day (Arlington wreath laying) which is always 11/11.

The Arlington Cemetery memorial ceremony is something to see if you're ever inclined to do so and has a very long and fascinating history.

But, on this day, in our country, frivolity takes a holiday so that is how we would and do look at William and Harry's behavior.  However, we don't pay for them nor recognize noble titles here so what they do is relatively meaningless and perceived as usually shallow.

Just don't do it here.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 06:04:36 am »

Next year the 11th November will fall on Sunday.

Are you really suggesting that the NFL won't play there regular games on that day? They certainly played on the 11th November in 2012 when the day fell on the Sunday and also played a game on the Monday night as per usual.

I suspect that 100,000s of Americans will be attending the football on the 100th anniversary with appropriate acknowledgement at the game rather than they have a week off.

In Australia it is normal for there to be football and races on days like this e.g. 11th November this year was the final day of the largest race carnival in the country - the Melbourne Cup carnival and there were around 100,000 people at Flemington and more at other race meetings across the country.

The Wallabies (the Australian Rugby team) - along with the New Zealand, French, Samoan, South African and the home nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland) all played rugby and that is also a regular event with the southern hemisphere teams playing the northern ones. In none of those nations, as far as I am aware, is there a public holiday on the 11th November (the Brits actually have the commemoration on the Sunday nearest to the 11th and not on the 11th itself. The reason there is a fuss this year for William and Harry going to the rugby - as they do every year at this time - is that the nearest Saturday before the nearest Sunday is the actual 11th. This same situation will probably arise for the next few years and then they will be a week apart for a few years and then back again as the 11th moves through the days of the week.

There were also lots of football (soccer) matches played on the 11th around the world with combatant nations taking part as the final qualifiers are held for next year's World Cup. Last year FIFA fined teams who wore poppies at official soccer matches played on the 11th November as the wearing of poppies was seen as making a 'political, religious or commercial' statement which is against FIFA rules.

Clearly each country commemorates the fallen differently and those differences are one of the things that they fought for - to preserve the traditions and ideals of their own countries.

In all the rugby playing nations listed above we all respect the fallen - we just go about commemorating their service and sacrifice in different ways. There are ceremonies and minutes or two minutes silence. Schools have their commemorations on the nearest day e.g. mine had a very moving ceremony on Friday and had a veteran come and address the ceremony as well as all the prayers and music that will be played at the Cenotaph tomorrow in London and was done at our various War Memorials - including in many towns and suburbs in the cities - today.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:08:54 am by meememe » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 06:14:29 am »

^Again, when it falls on a Sunday, it is recognized the following Monday or the prior Friday to avoid this kind of conflict.  Arlington will still have its ceremony on the 11th.  Thought I made that clear. 

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 06:39:55 am »

You said that there wouldn't be a football match for politicians to attend and I pointed out that in 2012 - the last time the 11th November fell on a Sunday there was both a full round of NFL matches and a Monday night game as well - so both the actual day and the day 'in lieu' had football matches for the politicians to attend if they so wanted.

I think what we are really saying is that we are from different countries and we have different ways of commemorating the fallen and current serving officers.

Neither one, I think is right or wrong, but rather just different and long live the differences that those men and women fought for us to experience.
Stephanie
Princess

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:18:25 am »

I find it in very poor taste that Wimpo flees to Cardiff to watch rugby while the RF turns up in force for AD.
And I don't think the fallen soldiers would want Wimpo to go watch rugby. They are dead under the ground and have no voice.
These are young men who left family behind or were so young they never got to start a family at all. Is it too much to ask that the future commander-in chief (wimpo) can be bothered to remember their souls?
Is it out of line to expect that Wimpo acknowledges the fact that the men who returned were scarred for life with lost limbs, disfigured faces and suffered from shell shock syndrome?
I don't think so.
Without them, GB as a free nation wouldn't even exist today, let alone a RF.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 12:58:51 pm »

^It's that simple, really and their behavior is, for me, insupportable.  I don't know of one single Vet or a family of a fallen veteran who would think going to a game was a cool thing to do.  You fly your flag, take a Vet to dinner, attend a fundraiser, go to church or the cemetery for the Honors.  And good luck with that in a military town like San Diego.  That's funny. Noooooo.

^^I can only take your word for that but it's a strange occurrence.  You can't observe Veterans Day here in the US on a Sunday and Monday night football is kind of a second stringer so I'd be surprised to see a public official at any game on the observed day or the 11th.  Not in my living memory.  Unless it's to hand out an award.  It's just not done here.  Only our players act like jerks at the moment.

What William and Harry do, and this includes this day, would never be accepted by the tax payer.  And I mean never.  We have, roughly, 30M active military plus veterans, plus Gold Star members, plus, plus and the whole country is in a somber and reflective mood so even if you don't care about the Vets to get that, its bad optics PR-wise.  The NFL is just one of many prof sports here as well.  The NBA chose to have a wounded wheelchair game instead this year, for instance.  It's a Big Deal. 

Our military is large, visible daily and loved and I'm proud of that and any public servant who goes against that would be skewered, even by the liberal media.

Plus!  It's not like these two are burdened with a kazillion public service duties and responsibilities, either. 

The Queen gets it right every time.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: