Royal Gossip
October 20, 2017, 10:44:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help!  (Read 173 times)
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« on: October 03, 2017, 02:31:24 pm »

I know there is an answer to this, and I am certain that Yooper will know this answer, as I'm sure others of you will, as well.

I'm trying to think back to my logic classes, but it is foggy . . .   What do you call the process of realizing that a belief you hold makes no sense and so you say, "If this statement is false, then the facts upon which it is based need to be reexamined."    Does that make sense?    I'm sure it doesn't, but hopeful some of you will know what I'm getting at and can give me the correct terminology.    Thanks ever so!!   

flower
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 02:46:18 pm »

It does make perfect sense but the words elude me today.

Sorry.  sorry

But does the phrase false premise help? Or flawed premise?
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:59:19 pm »

You're moving in the right direction, Little light!   Perhaps if we drink another cup of coffee, we'll get there!     bored3       Thank you.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 03:32:33 pm »

Apohenia comes to mind and false awareness from my logic/psych classes.  Am I close, Miss H?

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Joanna
courtier

Isabella of Portugal, Holy Roman Empress

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 03:47:22 pm »

It makes a lot of sense. The conclusion is not correct or forces people to re-evalute the process of inference, to search for validity (there can't be false inferences if the premises are all true), then we have to move from validity to completeness. Completeness means that if the theory you have is true /if it's valid) you can prove it. At least this is what I remember.

I don't remember philosophy all that well but in science we have to put this knowledge at use, we use this as one of the elementary parts of the scientific method, but it takes the form of experimentation. If the experiment shows unexpected errors then it obliges us to reformulate the theory and this means we have to search for errors in the inference process. If the experiment shows acceptable results then theory is no longer a theory, it becomes a sound fact/belief. I hope I was of any help. flower
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 04:01:04 pm »

Yes, thank you, Yooper, apophenia is in the wheelhouse!

And Joanna (obviously a scientist)  this is beautiful:    If the experiment shows unexpected errors then it obliges us to reformulate the theory and this means we have to search for errors in the inference process.

You all were a tremendous help in helping me put my thoughts to words.  Thanks so much.      Hi
Joanna
courtier

Isabella of Portugal, Holy Roman Empress

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 12:24:30 am »

Glad to be of help, do keep us updated please! flower
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: