Royal Gossip
October 18, 2018, 05:27:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations  (Read 2532 times)
Little light
Countess

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 01:11:57 am »

We had one. And the UK voted to leave the EU.

I'm sick and tired of people wanting another vote/referendum just because the outcome was not what they wanted.

It was a clear majority in favour of leaving, whatever your personal wish, and to reject that is to reject the very democracy and voters who voted to leave.

We cannot keep having referendums until the outcome is what some people want.

If it was, we'd have to call it a "Neverendum!"
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 02:32:38 am »

^May I steal everything you said there?   thumbsup

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 01:58:56 pm »

^^ My thoughts too. A decision has been made and that's it. Otherwise no one needs to take any decision/ vote/ whatever seriously.

"Neverendum"! Love it! Exactly though.

But it has in a way become a neverendum... And I can't believe how many are now seriously popping up as "experts" saying the only way is another referndum..
 Shocked dontknow
marion
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 04:50:46 pm »

We'll all I can say is I never wanted Khan as Mayor  so please can we rerun  that vote? 
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 05:30:31 pm »

^He’s not a monarch so he comes up for a vote eventually, right?

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
marion
Duchess

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 05:48:37 pm »

^yes and not a moment too soon!
If I voiced my opinions of Khan I would surely be banned !!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 06:51:26 pm »

^Banned from where?  Here?  All, I hope, unpleasant words are auto corrected or changed unless you have something to teach me.   nervous  Opinions are your right, tho!

marion
Duchess

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 07:51:26 pm »

^Yes here !!! Still best kept to myself  Lips Sealed
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:10 pm »

I generally keep away from the politics sections in forums and the like, here too, but do occasionaly peek. I have to say, as I have said before, that I find people here more open-minded, balanced, informed and fair in political discussion than elsewhere, incl other royal forums. Reading here about politics doesn't drive me up the wall and make me lose respect for people/ posters, like it does in other places (just say "Hillary for president" and you have me running for the hills, pulling my hair out. She was on the Graham Norton Show last Friday, totally ruined it and stole valuable screen time from others. Had the others not been there, eg Jack Whitehall, I wouldn't have watched  Angry Well, here's a peek at one of my opinions haha). People here don't parrot "XY is a good politician and WZ bad and their country is a bad bad place and poor, everyone wants to leave" and I find that here people see the shady side of politics and deals that are made between countries etc. I haven't read any of the political threads in a while, but every time I did, incl last time some moons ago, that was always my impression.

So I kind of think that no one's opinion would here provoke a ban, warning or similar, like it would elsewhere.

Nonetheless I get not talking about one's (political) opinions, as they are seen as "conspiracies", "idiotic" or similar, because one doesn't parrot mainstream media or reads more or simply has a different opinion.

The older I get the more I understand the old rule of "no talk of politics, religion or money at the dinner table/ in fine society" and adhere to it too.
Little light
Countess

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 06:31:41 pm »

My apologies fellow posters. I thought this term was widely used as the term Neverendum is used in Scotland quite a lot. Why?

The background is that3 years ago, there was a referendum in Scotland on whether to leave the UK or remain in the UK.

The vote was that should Scotland be an independent country? In other words should Scotland remain in the UK or leave the UK.

It's safe to say, as it did in my own family, some people could not believe a loved one voted in a manner they would not. And no, I'm not saying which way I voted. It is immaterial anyway. And the referendum did bring out both the best and worst in people as the general population did not have a constructive conversation about the matters in hand.

But one side of the campaign was not happy with the result so have been trying to resurrect the matter ever since, hence the term now commonly used in Scotland, Neverendum. In other words this. A matter, any matter, would be "kept on the agenda", so to speak, until the "correct" result as they would have it, was returned. And here it is Brexit.

And I do fear that this might happen here. And that's why I used the term Neverendum. A never ending referendum until the so called correct result is reached.

And MODs I'm just explaining the background of the term that's now commonly used here.

Thank you.  thankyou
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:37:35 pm by Little light » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 08:06:49 pm »

^Well, it was a new term to me and quite appropriate. I am somewhat familiar with the source and we have had the same nonsense here with wanting to adjust a national vote.  I see no reason for the apology, however.

HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:59 pm »

^^ No apologies needed, really. The term, I don't know, maybe I've heard it before, sometimes my memory is like an elephant's, and sometimes like that of a goldfish  tehe

The term is very apt though and funny imo  thumbsup (even though the actual politics are annoying and infuriating as heck..).

I can accept people voting whatever, when they've done research and really believe their choice is an informed good one. I cannot stand people ignoring facts, evidence, the truth and denouncing and ridiculing anything that isn't in line with their own beliefs and calling everything straying a millimetre from their path as "conspiracy". Regardless, I think it's often best kept to oneself who/ what one votes for, for the sake of peace. sigh
Little light
Countess

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 11:07:57 pm »

Thanks for that. I didn't want to get into a political conversation pros and cons of Brexit or not.

And I'm glad I phrased it properly so no political inferences could be made.

thankyou
Val
Princess

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 08:42:47 am »

Questions from another forum

Can the Tory MPs who are threatening to vote against the Government in the next Brexit debate be de-selected immediately by their Constituencies?  It is alleged that Soubry, in particular, needs to be removed asap because she is said to remain the Liberal MP she once was.  People are particularly disappointed in Tom Tugendhat.  He has strong EU links through his father and his uncle and is married to a Frenchwoman.  His Constituency voted Leave and it is said that he is going to defy them.  Dominic Grieve also has strong ties to Europe as his mother is French, is President of the Franco-British Society, was awarded the Legion d'Honneur in 2016 and broadcasts in French on the French media...
marion
Duchess

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »

I read that Soubry had several thousand pounds for her election fund from an EU connected organisation.

The names of a bunch of Remoaner MP 's were published as the main headline of the Daily Telegraph yesterday and they were furious, saying the press was bullying them . More likely they were just angry that their plan to detail Brexit talks was outed.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 07:11:53 pm »

What repercussions for Brexit negotiations?
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/881625/Germany-coalition-talks-EU-agenda-Brussels-Merkel-Jamaica-coalition
marion
Duchess

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 08:28:10 pm »

Just what Brexiteers have been saying for years

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/881380/brexit-latest-news-jacob-rees-mogg-brussels-no-deal-harm-eu-theresa-may-barnier-davis
Val
Princess

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 08:45:55 pm »

^

Exactly and there are Brexit fast and with no deal groups springing up all over the UK.
Val
Princess

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2017, 01:49:47 pm »

An  extract from "City a.m."  as a recommendation that now is the right time to offer a last (suitable for us) deal, which if rejected, causes us to turn and walk out.  The item (there's a link to it at the bottom of today's "Brexit Central") is looking at what effect the German election may have on Brexit - at the very least there'd be delay, and at worst, the dreadful President Macron getting more power & making life even more difficult for us.

And of course, if Frau Merkel cannot form a coalition, there will have to be another election - aaarrgghh!!  The delay; the complications!  NOOO - let's go now!

So, could we walk out with 'no deal'?

Yes, because Britain can make the valid point that there are far too many problems facing the EU already: the dark clouds of a looming Italian banking crisis that would spread contagion to France and beyond; the weakness of Eurozone economic growth without the continued supply of QE; the continuing impact of massive immigration, its resulting multicultural change, and the public response of rising tension and support for populist movements.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2017, 09:01:33 pm »

I doubt this comes a surprise to anyone
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5118301/Theresa-final-Brexit-Bill-SECRET.html

What happened to the idea that we as taxpayers are the masters of those we vote into government. I think we have a right to know how our money is bring spent
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: