Royal Gossip
November 20, 2017, 10:42:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What TV show are you watching now/ Generally TV shows you like  (Read 363 times)
HRHOlya
Duchess

« on: August 28, 2017, 09:25:56 pm »

I hope the subject line isn't too long, if so I don't mind shortening.

Anyway, I thought this would be a nice tie-in to the pinned movies/ books/ music threads and is maybe better than starting a new topic for every show? But having topics dedicated to shows is certainly a good idea too, depending on how much everyone has to say and whatnot.

A very guilty pleasure of mine is TLC's "90 Day Fiance", the whole line: the Happy Ever After, the normal 90 Days, and the new Before the 90 Days.
This is the only reality show I watch all the time. Any other reality stuff I either don't watch at all (about 98% of what's out there) or catch the odd episode out of boredom/ when nothing better is on, and that's rare.
This one is gold though.

Victoria has started this Sunday too, so that's a drama I watch currently.

And Younger! I really love that show, though it's daft in some ways (all shows have their faults).

What I look very much forward to is A Place to Call Home, which unfortunately starts in Oct and not Sept as I hoped... Better late than never!
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 09:31:24 pm »

I don't watch many series because they end up boring me. This is why I like kdramas they end up before 20 episodes.

Right now I'm watching GOT but just ended. I will watch Victoria when it comes to my country. I also watched the Medicis which was decent but nothing spectacular. I want to watch Outlander this autumn.

Guilty pleasure is say yes to the dress and nearly every cooking show.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:23 pm »

I'm the same, shows either become boring after a while or become too stupid to watch or simply go totally down the drain, because they never end (for the money, so many shows get dragged out way too much for tonnes of epsiodes & seasons; which is also what I appreciate about British shows: in spite of huge popularity they end it when they feel like all's told).

I watched the 1st Outlander season, found part of the ending too crass, watched the beginning of the 2nd season, but gave up.

I must be one of the few people who never even started GoT, I might watch it though in the future; I likely will.

Oh yes, cooking shows! I enjoy those and learn quite a bit along the way, but I'm not dedicated to any.

I heard many times that Kdramas are really good and I have bookmarked some, I think it's time I dig into them. Mostly because I appreciate you saying they conclude after about 20 episodes!

I gave up on Grey's, it's a prime example of a show that goes on too long, tanks characters and stories in the process for the sake of drama and continuing add infinitum just for the sake of it being on-air, for no sane reason at all except cashing the money.  sigh
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 10:12:54 pm »

Kdramas may even have less than 15 episodes. And they are usually really well done. Check dramabeans for recs.

I started GOT during the 5th season and only the last episodes. I have only read the last book too. I had read so many spoilers I became interested but as I know what happens and who ends up dead it feels hard to read/watch it.

The too long happen to me with Big Bang. The characters ended up as parodies and some plot decisions left me cold.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
LadyLaura
Baroness

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 04:02:01 am »

Has anyone here heard of the show Isabel?

It is about Isabella of Castile, it's in Spanish, with eng subs. I downloaded it and it's so very good and accurate. 4 seasons I believe. The acting is well done and spectacular scenery. Loves it  flower
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:05:05 pm »

It's done by the spanish state tv. I couldn't get into it, very fake looking to me. But it seems it has a cult following. Have you tried the next series Carlos V? It's about their grandson (the daughter, Juana I, got a film). Though the reviews were not as good.

And then I don't know why they decided to do a tv series about Mary of Scotland and Mary of England. Seriously Felipe II is one of the most interesting characters in spanish history and they decided to do the series about a story told to death.

/sorry rant over

LadyLaura
Baroness

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:26:00 pm »

I didnt know there was another show, Ill have a look...I am crazy about Isabella, and Juana, I find her fascinating.

there is a show about Mary I of england? I will have to search that one also. I have a thing for the Tudors as well  easter-egg-basket
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 10:28:06 pm »

Also I've been told by an American friend that he'd been watching a program on Mary Queen of Scots called Reign. He likes it but doesn't know much about the royals.

I've never heard of it. Is it any good?
LadyLaura
Baroness

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 10:30:46 pm »

I tried watching Reign, but the music is bizarre and I stopped.

I gave up on the Royals, too inconsistent and trashy  easter-lol

easter-lol, I thought you were talking about the show Royals, I never read properly sorry
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 10:39:13 pm »

@Little light It's not very historically accurate according to what I've read about that show. Maybe it's more fun in the guilty pleasure sense?

I didnt know there was another show, Ill have a look...I am crazy about Isabella, and Juana, I find her fascinating.

there is a show about Mary I of england? I will have to search that one also. I have a thing for the Tudors as well  easter-egg-basket

But the show about Mary is more about her feud with the Mary from Scotland. But seriously the reviews for this one are really bad. Try the one about Carlos V or the film about Juana. BTW there is a film about Juana done a couple of years ago that is quite good, you should check it!

BTW this holidays I went to visit the mausoleum of Isabel/Fernando and Juana/Felipe. It was really interesting. Sad they didn't use that cathedral for the next kings/queens tombs and started using El Escorial.

LadyLaura
Baroness

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 11:17:55 pm »

I will for sure check out the Karlos show and the Juana movie, thanks for letting me know.

I have always wanted to see the mausoleum where Isabella Ferdinand and Juana are, it looks beautiful. Spain itself seems so very amazing, would just love to go there! The history and scenery are worth it.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 02:19:37 pm »

^they are these series in case you don't find them

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4418020/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4634422/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0270480/

In respect to the mausoleum it's a bit of a letdown. My mother is a super fan of Isabel and ended up a bit angry that she was buried there. Compared to El Escorial is quite small and kind of unfinished. The cathedral that is part of the mausoleum was never completely finished so compared to many other spanish cathedrals is not very grand.

After Felipe II decided to make in Madrid his court Granada was kind of forgotten and it is very noticeable.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 04:24:02 pm »

Anybody watch "The Good Place"?  It's an episode program on Netflix.

Caught it by accident, thought it was dumb at first, but then it, well, I kept watching.  It's about a woman who dies and goes to "The Good Place" by accident.  She's supposed to be in the "Bad Place" because she's just an awful person so lies about herself all the time to stay there. But, there's a catch...

I hope they make season 2.  The "Judge of All Humanity" is my favorite character so far.   easter-wink

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 09:22:51 pm »

^ Yes! I love that show! And it is coming back for a 2nd season  thumbsup The end was great, can't wait for next season!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 11:05:54 pm »

^Goody!  Thanks!  I laughed when joining Ariana Grande's instagram page was a down vote for her immortal soul.  tehe

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
LadyLaura
Baroness

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 01:23:48 am »

I watched part 1 of the Sissi film last night on youtube, I loved it so much I downloaded the three parts.
Am watching it now, such a nice story easter-egg-basket makes me want to read about her.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 09:46:13 am »

Those films are very sweet; but very sugary - as in far away from reality.. Just as heads up so you won't be too shocked when looking up the real life people in it  easter-egg-basket
Well worth learning about her though, interesting biography!
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 08:33:47 pm »

I even have the books based on romi schneider films on sissi but they are very romanticised (I loved them as a kid, they were part comic part book and was so sad to not be able to finish the series).

Sissi was not even popular until these films appeared.

BTW Elizabeth of Belgium is called Elizabeth because of Sissi in a roundabout way. Her greatgranmother was a niece of Sissi and she was called Elizabeth in her name...

HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 09:57:20 pm »

^ Me too! I also watched the Sisi cartoon as child!! And then when I became a teen and started reading about real-life-Sisi I was shocked, and generally always shocked when finding out about famous/ historical people what they were like/ up to in real life, so far away from their film depictions or brilliant in their jobs but horrid in private...
The films helped to revive "Sisi" and I think the Habsburgs/ Austria can thank Romy et al for the (continuing) surge in tourists visiting the castles etc where she lived and museums dedicated to her.

Didn't know that about Belgium's Elizabeth! Way to go finding a link to name a kid after someone haha
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2017, 08:32:40 pm »

HBO’s “John Adams”.  Again.  It still gives me pause that Adams and Thomas Jefferson, both presidents and framers of our Declaration and gov, died on the same day within 5 hours of each other.  And on the Fourth of July.  What were the odds?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: