Royal Gossip
May 26, 2017, 03:49:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Phillip is retiring  (Read 1155 times)
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 10:20:58 am »

Philip is 96 years old in June. There is a limit to human endurance and energy at that age. He's been a great support to the Queen since 1947 and has more than earned a rest from Royal duties. In spite of looking spy at Lords yesterday he may not be feeling so great on some days.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 10:25:00 am »

I suspect that this has been in the offing for some time. All they needed was the right time to make the announcement and given that the Queen meet with the PM yesterday it seems that the PM approved the timing.

This also means he is stepping down around the time that William is supposed to be moving to London to step up - again why I think the timing has been in the planning for some time and they were simply waiting the right time with regard to elections etc.
Snowpea
Countess

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38:19 pm »

easter-lol

Willy stepping up? I wonder if Katie will start working to pick up the slack?  eating cookies
HRHOlya
Countess

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 01:41:50 pm »

Prince Philip announces he is completely retiring from royal duties aged 95 after 70 years of sterling service to his Queen and country

The Duke of Edinburgh announces his own retirement from royal duties after secret emergency meeting
    Prince Philip made decision himself and will step back as he and Queen reach 70-year wedding anniversary
    He has carried out more than 22,000 solo engagements since 1947 and given more than 5,000 speeches
    The Queen will continue public duties as she has always vowed to serve her country for as long as she lives
    Palace spokesman said: 'He will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of The Queen'
    All royal staff from across the UK, including Balmoral and Sandringham, were called to London to hear news
    It fuelled feverish rumours around the world about Queen or Prince Philip's health but both are 'fine'
    Royal couple were back to work an hour after announcement attending a church service at St James' Palace

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4472736/Prince-Philip-retire-royal-duties-95.html
----

'I declare this thing open, whatever it is': The gaffe-prone Duke who often said what he shouldn't (although the public loved him for it)

The Duke of Edinburgh has fondly become known for being the most gaffe-prone member of the Royal Family
    On Royal engagements over the years, he has often expressed uncensored and politically incorrect opinions
    After announcing he is to step down from Royal duties, we look at some of his risque, off-the-cuff remarks

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4472798/Prince-Philip-Upsetting-Chinese-men-goatees.html
----

Seventy years and 22,191 engagements: How Prince Philip has been the Queen's 'rock' since their fairytale wedding, becoming one of the hardest working royals well into his 90s

The Duke of Edinburgh is the longest-serving consort in British history
    Prince Philip, 95, is also the oldest serving partner of a reigning monarch
    He gave up a promising naval career to support his wife in her royal role
    Philip has always been one step behind while Queen takes centre stage

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4473052/Prince-Philip-Seventy-years-Majesty-s-rock.html
----

A good thing, really. Everyone should be able to enjoy retirement and if not now, when? I am somewhat happy for him, that he takes a step back and enjoys the time he has left. At their age, they have been going for quite a long time, I have respect for that and admire that they made it to their age and seem to be so fit.
Regardless of anyone's feelings towards the monarchy, I think the Dutch and others do it right, when they abdicate after a while for the heir, so they get to enjoy their retirement and the heir can start without a heavy and sad cloud hanging over them.

Though what a fuss! I think they could have announced this with less frenzy..

^ Yeah the Cambs stepping up... I seriously doubt it, sorry. In one of the articles it was still pointed out how Phil outperformed the Cambs and Harry put together.. If they want to step up and step in for Phil, then they'll have to work their backsides off, something none of them want to do, esp after so much time of doing diddly squat and holidaying like crazy.
india
Princess

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 02:08:44 pm »

Maybe they made such a big deal about this announcement to try and distract the public from The Dork Willy's and Council Cath's frivolous lawsuit in France.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 02:39:58 pm »

let's see if Will and Kate will come up with more pathetic excuses like the children needing them 24/7
theduchess
Baroness

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 03:27:43 pm »

It's a shame the DM had to report the meeting the way they did. I have a feeling the royal reporters had an inkling as to what the meeting was about. I do wonder whether there are serious health issues that have forced him to completely retire. He, too me, doesn't seem the type and has the same sense of duty as the Queen.

All my life, I've been fighting my way upstream.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 04:17:05 pm »

I don't understand why the formality and trouble of bussing in staffers from other royal estates to hear an announcement that is not a surprise to anyone?huh   Anyone else find this odd?     huh
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 04:30:17 pm »

^I do.  I find it extremely odd.  If I had to place money on it, I'd say that the long/short-range plan is that PP is not well at all and this was the appropriate phase-down to allow him to allocate energies towards his health. 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 04:30:31 pm »

I also find it odd.

Now, I'm not as knowledgeable as many, in fact most on this forum, but would it not have been the case that the senior member of staff have a meeting of all of the staff of that particular house and inform them at that meeting? That way all royal staff would know, even if they worked for particular branches of the family.

It seems the way they would do it in the commercial world anyway. But for the Royal Household? I'm not sure, so yes.
It seems odd to me.

Having said that, would the BRF have told all of the staff of any health concerns of the DoE? I would find that strange, since frankly, it is none of their business? That's odd too.
theduchess
Baroness

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 04:48:07 pm »

It depends in what's wrong I suppose. I have wondered whether it was something that has been planned and the meeting was about how it will be happening with an announcement to stop leaks or whether something has been in the works for a while but something happened last night that forced their hand?

All my life, I've been fighting my way upstream.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 04:58:33 pm »

I just don't believe it had to do with Philip.  Who would be surprised if a 95-year-old passed away?  And if he is ill, neither would it be a surprise if he did not recover.   Such is the way of life.

I wonder if it has something to do with the estates themselves?   Maybe the queen has decided she is no longer able to travel to them after her illness last December, and they will be transitioned into tourist attractions for tours, etc.  This is the only thing that would really affect the staff.   And hasn't Charles said he wanted to cut down the number of royal estates?  Not sure about that, but it seems I have read it in the past.
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 04:59:35 pm »

Must confess I find it very odd too  -  I think the way it has been announced, so suddenly, is very odd.  If it was all planned out etc then I dona´t think it would have been done in this way, and bringing all the staff down to London.  I agree with Little Light, about the head of each mansion/palace gather all the staff together and make the announcement, a couple of hours before the public announcement so that they are aware of what is happening once it goes public with the press.

I suppose time will tell, but I really do find it really, really odd.  Good for him if he is retiring, he is old, he has done well,  Not a fan of his, never have been, but still I think he should be able to retire like other people.  He must get tired, and has had some health issues/surgery in the last 10 years.  He looks like death warmed up at some engagements.  Nothing wrong or urgent about a sudden gathering/announcement abut that, not at all.   Very weird.  I do wonder if he had some sort of funny turn at some stage yesterday to bring this announcement forward, althugh he looks okay today, just never know do you.

I did catch sight of this comment on the internet, which I found quite interesting and I have read a few others along similar lines.  It has made me wonder if any truth in the camouflage timing re the France case, again, who knows.  Interesting comment though

A though has occurred to me. Perhaps PP is terminally ill and has been for a while but has managed to conceal it. They can no longer conceal this and it will soon become visible so he has decided to pack it in before that happens.

And of course timing it as it does ensures the France cour tcase gets kicked into the long grass...for a few days.

Astonishing that they brought in all the staff from across the UK though.

I do hope he gets some decent retirement time away from engagements, he has shown up the younger members of the rf big time with the amount of engatements he does, especially considering his age, he should have been retired years ago.
india
Princess

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2017, 05:06:09 pm »

He's probably so disgusted, disappointed and depressed with Willy and his nightmare wife and all they have done to bring about the destruction of the monarchy.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2017, 05:46:44 pm »

I think it's to present the more acceptable, duty and service to the Nation face of the RF and to distract from the Cambridges' venal, petty and spiteful court case against the French photographer.  The contrasts between PP and the indolent Cambridges are so strong that they must cause some degree of concern in the RF.  PP's retirement is a good way to take the press's ire away from the Cambridges for a day or so. '
HRHOlya
Countess

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2017, 06:59:34 pm »

'Sorry to hear you're standing down, sir.' 'Well I can't stand up much longer!' Prince Philip, 95, seals his retirement in typically humorous style as he prepares to end 70 years of royal duties

The Duke of Edinburgh announces his own retirement from royal duties after secret emergency meeting
    Prince Philip made decision himself and will step back as he and Queen reach 70-year wedding anniversary
    He has carried out more than 22,000 solo engagements since 1947 and given more than 5,000 speeches
    The Queen will continue public duties as she has always vowed to serve her country for as long as she lives
    Palace spokesman said: 'He will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn. The Duke has the full support of The Queen'
    Royal couple were back to work an hour after announcement attending a church service at St James' Palace
    Sir Michael Atiyah told him: 'I'm sorry you're standing down' - Duke replied: 'Well I can't stand up much longer'
    All royal staff from across the UK, including Balmoral and Sandringham, were called to London to hear news
    It fuelled feverish rumours around the world about Queen and Prince Philip's health but both are 'fine'  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4472736/Prince-Philip-retire-royal-duties-95.html
----

I agree, there's sth odd going on for them having handled the announcement this way. I don't think the retirement came out of nowhere or over night, but I think that you are on to sth when saying it's a distraction from the ditzy duo and their French disaster.
For people who claim that they don't want fuss, they sure created a hell of a fuss. Carting in all the staff from all over the country suddenly, journos standing & waiting for ages...
India probably hit the nail on the head, Phil couldn't bear it any longer:

He's probably so disgusted, disappointed and depressed with Willy and his nightmare wife and all they have done to bring about the destruction of the monarchy.
----
PS Here's a fun one

One's on Facebook! She's 91 but Royal author BRIAN HOEY reveals the Queen sends texts, has a smart phone and iPad - and even her own private social media account

Queen's mobile is encrypted - and is said to be impossible to be hacked into
    Two people she most often speaks to on phone are her daughter, Princess Anne, and her racing manager, John Warren
    Royal mobile is kept fully charged at all times by Angela Kelly, the Queen’s personal assistant and senior dresser

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4471180/Queen-sends-texts-smart-phone-iPad.html
----

Operation "Distraction from the useless gnasher and his flasher; and the ditzy ginger and his hungry divorcee" has been working well, at least today & for now. Can't make many of these over the whole trial period & "romantic courtship".
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:03:23 pm by HRHOlya » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 07:51:40 pm »

The way the Windsors acted you would have thought that someone had died; all they had to do was make a simple announcement.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 08:08:07 pm »

the Queen intervenes during extreme cases. She just allowed the embarrassing suit for $$$ by her grandson and his wife. Now unless she can pull strings behind the scenes, this travesty will take place. They will be very unpopular if they "win". This Prince Philip announcement will not obliterate the Cambridges story.
Val
Duchess

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 10:25:20 pm »

They are always very naive with their PR and probably thought that dragging in the media from everywhere would take the focus of the lazy greedy duo's court case.  By thinking that they underestimated the public's perception and as usual it's a big fail as everyone is now questioning the necessity of doing it that way.
HRH Tiana of NOLA
Countess

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 10:43:39 pm »

I would have to agree with the others that think the way this was done smells fishy. Why cart everyone down to London  when this could have been announced to each post in a morning stand-up meeting? I would not be surprised if he's dealing with something terminal and this was their way of letting him fade into the background without anyone questioning what was going on.

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: