Royal Gossip
October 21, 2017, 11:08:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK General Election 8th June 2017  (Read 1258 times)
marion
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2017, 05:38:31 pm »

More left wing bias from the BBC..I'm not surprised Theresa May didn't take part. Corbyn only  did a u turn at the last minute after saying he wouldn't take part. Those that really run the Labour Party probably behind this decision.
Spitfire
Countess

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »

^  The BBC is nothing more than the propaganda arm of the anti-democratic, UK-hating EU.  The following facts have been compiled by Leave EU and emphasise the biased BBC reporting during last year's Referendum:

BBC bias is clear for all to see, thanks to News-Watch's monitoring, we have discovered that:
•   Despite 52% of voters backing Leave in June’s historic referendum, only 8 of 124 guests on the Today Programme were invited to make the case for Brexit’s benefits in the days following the Article 50 notice.
•   In 40 episodes of Newsnight in the run-up to the referendum, twelve Remainers were offered one-on-one interviews compared to only six Leavers, and twice as much space was given to pro-EU commentators in 25 feature items.
•   Asked on five separate occasions by a coalition of MPs, BBC Director General Lord Hall has been unable to provide the transcript of a single positive BBC broadcast on Brexit.
•   Analysis of a post-referendum “Brexit Collection” programme showed that the offerings included 58% of speakers backing Remain with only 23% backing Leave.
•   The BBC's Political Editor, Laura Kuenssberg went even further, broadcasting the views of three times as many anti-Brexit voices as pro-Leave voices in her post-referendum programme “Britain’s Biggest Deal” – including no interviews with members of the UK Independence Party.

Over seventy years ago, the BBC was the lone voice of democracy in Occupied Europe and people in those countries were executed if they were discovered listening to the banned BBC.  Sadly, the BBC is now supporting another version of the regime against which it once offered hope.  The BBC should hang its head in shame - but it doesn't have any.

The ghost of Frances Winchcombe is finding a new house to haunt.  She has reportedly said: "Carole Middleton scares me to death..."
Val
Princess

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 09:45:50 pm »

^

Excellent post and spot on.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 11:53:53 am »

Are these really the people we want to run Great Britain?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4579760/Respected-IFS-warns-Labour-s-spending-plans-don-t-add-up.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4580110/Special-Branch-kept-file-subversive-20-years.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4577354/Jeremy-Corbyn-addressed-rally-attended-al-Muhajiroun.html

And now Corbyn ditches Diane on the eve of the GE - there's no way she is ill. She was seen yesterday on her way to Broadcasting House for the interview that was cancelled at the last minute, apparently due to illness but she was pictured on Twitter using her phone and laughing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4577354/Jeremy-Corbyn-addressed-rally-attended-al-Muhajiroun.html
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 03:44:06 am »

The Daily Mail's parent company also owns ITV,  the Mail is as biased as it gets.  Take everything with a pinch of salt.

Val
Princess

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2017, 04:51:51 am »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4586042/Stunning-exit-poll-suggests-Theresa-LOST-seats.html

Not looking good for TM at the moment.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2017, 06:15:48 am »

Clearly the Tories are busy looking after the BRF rather than the interests of the nation. Odd how it swings all around and around.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 06:36:24 am »

I've been watching the election results roll in over the last several hours. YouGov polling was quite accurate as it predicted a hung Parliament and the Conservatives losing seats.

This was an unnecessary election for Theresa May to have called. She was sitting pretty on a manageable mandate. Now she'll be scrambling for votes from Northern Ireland MPs to pass anything. On the other hand Jeremy Corbyn's Labour has done very well.

All sorts of issues bearing into this election-the aftermath of the Brexit election, national security, blunders by Theresa such as the dementia tax, resentment at an unnecessary election being called in the first place, and last but certainly not least Theresa's completely underwhelming performance on the campaign trail. She's to blame for the position in which she now finds herself.

Also Nicola Sturgeon and the Scottish Nationals haven't exactly covered themselves with glory either.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 12:19:49 pm »

^That's pretty much what we hear here but our news doesn't do a very good job of explaining all of this.

Is it true that the Queen will have to step in now?  It seems like the U.K. didn't have very good candidates from which to choose but I could be wrong.  I really appreciate any insights from those who are directly involved.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 01:37:39 pm »

There is a fair amount of criticism heading Theresa's way from commentators and within her own party, I would imagine.
 Several were expecting her to resign, but she has gone to see the Queen so it's pretty clear that she intends to remain as PM and form a (minority) government with the help and support of some Ulster (Northern Ireland) MPs. All ten of them. That will mean a great deal of horse trading and an expensive list of demands from these MPs. As Northern Ireland voted very firmly to Remain in the Brexit referendum the spectacle of this Party helping to shore up a government that will be starting negotiations with the EU in something like ten days should be very interesting! However Theresa appears to have made a deal, so she remains PM, for the moment anyway.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2017, 01:57:01 pm »

But DUP are pro hard brexit? Although if you consider that they cannot even form goverment in their region, how well it will work in westminster.

Some say in twitter that Johnson is already looking if he has support...

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2017, 02:21:48 pm »

I don't understand what the Queen has to do with a democratically voted election.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »

^ Boris Johnson, even if he becomes the leader of the Conservative Party will still be heading a minority government. At the moment the Conservatives have 218 seats, maybe 219 as the Kensington electorate is still to declare. Whoever becomes PM will still need to approach other parties to form a workable government majority.

It is true that the DUP campaigned to leave but the Northern Irish electorate on the whole wanted to remain. It is not clear just how much support the DUP has agreed to give the Conservatives. They are in talks at the moment but it appears these were further enough along at around noon London time for Theresa May to convince the Queen that she would be able to form a minority government.

The DUP are a very conservative lot, so if they do go into a formal agreement with the Conservatives they will be driving some hard bargains. At the same time they and Sinn Fein are in negotiations about the Northern Ireland Assembly so they won't want to derail those talks.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2017, 03:25:52 pm »

^^Well, in British Parliament at Westminster (in the House of Commons) the majority party (or parties if there's a coalition) is known as Her Majesty's Government. The main opposition party is known as Her Majesty's Opposition. After the ruling party votes for their Parliamentary leader (the Prime Minister) then that individual goes to BP to see the Queen and are then formally appointed PM. (It's known as Kissing Hands.)

In a situation like today, Theresa May, as PM and the Parliamentary leader of the majority party in the Commons, went to see the Queen at BP and apparently assured her that she was able to form a working (minority) government. If the arrangement with the DUP falls down then she will go to the Queen again and they will discuss if she can somehow form government (to at least pass Supply bills) with any other Party or coalition of various MPs. The Queen would ask her to try.

If she just cannot see any way of forming government then the Queen will send for Jeremy Corbyn, the Leader of the Opposition to see if he can form government with the help of minor parties. If he can all well and good (though personally I can't see how he will be able to.) However the Queen would ask him to try.

At the moment Theresa May seems confident that she can do it. We'll see. The Queen will anyway be keeping an eye on the situation as it develops in coming days
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2017, 03:47:13 pm »

^ I understand all of that. (Double posting, btw). 

What I still don't understand is what a neutral, ceremonial monarch has to do with any of this.  The Queen doesn't even vote, which is also confusing because no one could arrest her for it but the constitution seems clear on it.  So, is she just hearing updates? 

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2017, 04:09:05 pm »

I am very sorry for the double posting, Yooper.

^ In the British constitution the Queen plays a role that's somewhere between a mediator and an honest broker. In situations like this her duty is to encourage May to form government and if that doesn't work, Corbyn. The Queen's role at all times is to advise, encourage and to warn her ministers. She does hear updates of course, but more than that acts as a sounding board.

If there is a complete standoff and no-one can form government then she enters into negotiations with the leaders of both parties to see if a coalition can be cobbled together for the good of the country or that no no confidence motions will be passed in the House so that Supply Bills can be passed.

The Queen, by convention, doesn't vote. (No-one gets arrested for not voting in Britain by the way.) However, she has loads of experience of dealing with tricky political situations, dating back over sixty years. Churchill was her first Prime Minister.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2017, 04:44:06 pm »

It is very usual on parliamentaries monarchies to work like that. Even when they vote (in belgium it is an obligation and even their rf votes). Someone has to ask the best representative to form government. Sometimes it is ceremonial but in others like Netherlands it can be more involved (though I think they removed some of his powers).

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 04:48:56 pm »

Yes, the monarchs are Heads of State and so they have to act as mediators in a political crisis (if they have the power to.) Here in Australia there is also compulsory voting and you get fined for not doing so.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 05:05:34 pm »

^^^ tehe No, what I meant was she can't be arrested FOR voting.  We have no fines or compulsory voting acts in the US.  You're allowed to freely be lazy, uninvolved and therefore the more opinionated, usually.

I get it now and thank you!  I understand her role as mediator and guider and am aware of her decades of experience. I wonder, tho, moving forward, if the younger royals will have such wisdom and objectivity.  Kinda doubt it.

Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 05:53:11 pm »

I think Charles is DYING to turn the mediator role into one where he is co-ruler, while William (via the ambitious Midds) will try to take control as an autocrat.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: