Royal Gossip
June 19, 2018, 08:51:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Crown (Netflix)  (Read 1481 times)
sandy
Princess

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 09:49:46 pm »

Charles was between two extremes. Being overcoddled by his grandmother which gave him a sense of entitlements and feeling himself center of the universe. This sense of entitlement let him astray in his personal life. His father was harsh on the other side. And his "honorary grandfather" sent a message that it was OK to sow wild oats with many "unsuitable" women before he settled down. All of this led to big trouble. But as I said, after a while Charles was responsible for his own actions and choices.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 09:21:40 pm »

I find it intriguing how so many dark corners of the past are being brought to light. How Philip's family was heavily embedded with the Nazis and how Margaret was clearly never a shrinking flower.

What impresses me is how it explores how difficult Philip made HM's life as Queen; HM wanted to bring Charles home and basically have him schooled at the softer Eaton, but Philip always dragged out the complaint about how he was 'just' a consort and basically browbeat HM to making Charles remain in Gordonstoun.

As for sowing wild oats, I think that was the worst advice possible to give. Basically Charles was raised and nurtured to be a user of women in that area and so while Diana had the ring and title, she was in fact just as used as the women Charles bonked and discarded.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
dianab
Countess

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2018, 01:36:34 pm »

I dare to say that I believe that episode about Charles life when he was at Gordeston... I believe that Phillip could be harsh with his son as it is portrayed in the movie... And a lot of what Charles did in future reveals that he lacked the safety of his home when he was a child... And also remember us how hard can be for a chi being bullied and not meet the expectations of our parents...

As a teacher show me how important it is to help children with this problems.

it's quite obvious why charles end up obsessed with his nanny's clone

I was appalled at the episode involving JFK and Jackie. She flirted outrageously with Prince Philip according to the episode and talked badly about the Queen, behind her back.
from the part of philip, it's given (if that REALLY happened)... if she was really said that stuff about the queen it shows jackie as a intelligent and observant woman - good on her... it's known jackie flirted with few powerful men during her Kennedy marriage - including ari onassis

Then JFK and Jackie were depicted as drug addicted plus he was physically abusive with Jackie, in that episode.

it's such WELL KNOWN about BOTH of them... several bios and TV series talk about that
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:45:58 pm by dianab » Logged
sandy
Princess

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 02:25:43 pm »

the Crown took it further. Later Jackie explained to the Queen that she and Jack took some sort of "drugs." It did not say which ones. And Jack was a wife abuser (according the Crown), physically attacking her.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 02:14:35 pm »

Hugh Laurie to take over from Matt Smith as Prince Philip in the third series of Netflix hit The Crown

Matt Smith, who starred as younger Prince Philip, announced he's leaving show
    Hugh Laurie who starred in Old Etonian and House lined up as replacement
    Creator Peter Morgan ‘very keen’ on Laurie to portray Philip in middle age

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5486027/Hugh-Laurie-replace-Matt-Smith-Prince-Philip-Crown.html

It's not confirmed yet though.

Apparently Helena Bonham Carter will play Margaret (taking over from Vanessa Kirby).
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 10:25:31 am »

The Crown Season 3: Tobias Menzies to play Prince Philip opposite Olivia Colman's Elizabeth II as Paul Bettany drops out... weeks after uproar over Netflix show's gender pay gap

The 44-year-old actor has joined the cast for two seasons as he portrays a mature version of the Royal through the more recent years of his life
    He takes over from Matt Smith, who won critical acclaim for his screen efforts
    However, a huge uproar recently erupted, when it was revealed that Matt was paid significantly more than Claire Foy, who played the titular character
    Claire broke her silence this week, admitting she found it 'very odd' that she became a big part of the gender pay gay row despite never commenting herself

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5556223/Tobias-Menzies-play-Prince-Philip-Season-3-Netflixs-Crown-Paul-Bettany-drops-out.html
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 08:11:49 pm »

The Crown season 3: Helena Bonham Carter CONFIRMED to play Princess Margaret... as she steps out wearing just pyjamas and slippers in London

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5688239/The-Crown-season-3-Helena-Bonham-Carter-CONFIRMED-play-Princess-Margaret.html
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2018, 09:40:27 pm »

Helena BC looks as much like Princess Margaret as I do! The actress who played her when she was younger bore hardly any resemblance either, as well as being about 5ft 10ins when Margaret was around 5ft 4ins. I know they can't get clones for these parts, but some slight resemblance would be nice.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2018, 08:38:51 am »

Helena BC 5' 2" is closer to Princess Margaret's actual height (at 5' 1" she was shorter than HM) but the previous actress was 5' 7" so that is a lot smaller.
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 03:34:41 pm »

Is The Crown worth watching?  I haven't bothered so far.  sigh

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
sandy
Princess

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2018, 04:50:51 pm »

It is. IMO. I liked Season 1 better than season 2 because of John Lithgow as Churchill and the plot about Townsend.

I did not like Season 2 as much, too many liberties were taken as far as history was concerned. I especially did not like the episode with the Kennedys.
Kins
courtier

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2018, 04:54:37 pm »

^Same. I thought the Kennedy episode detracted from the momentum of the series. Could have easily done without that one.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2018, 06:08:54 pm »

I agree with Sandy & Kins.
Def worth watching, you may learn sth new, and I find period pieces (though this is more recent, but still a period piece!) always interesting, the clothes, lack of technology etc etc.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2018, 12:08:12 am »

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: The Durrells star Josh O’Connor is set to play the young Prince Charles in Netflix drama The Crown

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5711075/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Josh-OConnor-play-young-Prince-Charles-Netflix-drama-Crown.html
AnaBolena
Duchess

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2018, 05:48:49 pm »

Thank you, girls.  I've been tempted but hadn't thought they'd be honest in it, so I won't pay much credence to season 2.  flower

dianab
Countess

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2018, 11:22:14 pm »

SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: The Durrells star Josh O’Connor is set to play the young Prince Charles in Netflix drama The Crown

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5711075/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-Josh-OConnor-play-young-Prince-Charles-Netflix-drama-Crown.html
diana and fergie still wouldnt be part of series... maybe camilla would have a little part in? i suppose diana and fergie would be showed in balmoral and sandringham and their weddings obviously... when they become part of series i suppose diana stairs fall and her phonecall to gilbey will be a part and fergie in balmoral when her topless suck toes by her lover pics come out LOLs... maybe there'll be a scene of the queen and philip reading the tampax phonecall, receiving the news of morton book and then dimbleby book - which wasnt exactly a tribute to the queen as a mother and a matriarch... it'll be fun watching a charles and diana scene in Korea...
i wonder if this next season would have a flashback about her darling Lord Porchester and baron plunket (THE only no non family member burried at the Royal cemetery).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:25:47 pm by dianab » Logged
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2018, 05:56:55 pm »

Quote from a tumblr site.

Ch4 have actual scenes from the wedding episode, which are hilarious! You HAVE TO see them (Charles makes prostitution jokes). In case you want to check them out, just go to channel4 YouTube channel and you’ll find it under video or just type it up in YouTube’s search button. You won’t be disappointed easter-wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubvmfwgi0Ng
AnaBolena
Duchess

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2018, 09:54:36 am »

I binge watched The Crown both seasons.  Now I can’t wait for season 3. 

To me, HM comes over as very icy at times, and Philip is just annoying and childish.  Is this just my impression or is this how they really were?

Loved the actor who played Churchill - well done!

HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2018, 11:42:57 am »

^ I'd imagine that is very close to the truth. The iciness being part upper class, part "duty before anything else", and his childish tantrums are well known over being below Chuck in rank, not having his surname etc. Though parts of it re: Phil I can understand, he had to give up literally all he had to marry Liz, and he didn't even have anything except his name & title, and even that he had to do away with... Considering how many years it took until "Mountbatten-Windsor" as surname became a thing, I'd say he was stroppy for a long time, by then he should have gotten over it frankly.
AnaBolena
Duchess

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2018, 03:56:46 pm »

Yes, I felt that for a man, having his children not carry his name was going a bit far.  Thankfully, HM gave a bit on that at a later date, but I can't recall it being used much at all.

I'd always had the impression Margaret liked fun, but I never thought she was as party-loving as The Crown depicted.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: