Royal Gossip
November 21, 2017, 03:18:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Age Difference  (Read 705 times)
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« on: April 04, 2017, 11:09:41 pm »

At the engagement press conference, Prince Charles made light of the age difference.   
He declared, 'I just feel you're as young as you think you are. Diana will certainly help to keep me young.'   
Did Diana try to keep Prince Charles young?

Really A Baron
Sheridan_is_appalled
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 12:26:31 am »

No, and why would she?

I haven't played since I stopped
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 12:57:41 pm »

I think that a lot of the things PC said at the interview were said to "paper over the cracks" in their relationship.

When he was asked about love he infamously said "whatever love means" which was immmediately preceded by PD saying "of course". I know how I would have felt if my intended said that. But that's me.

I don't think he loved her in a romantic sense, but felt he had to do his duty and a lot of the things he said were for the papers, and felt he would grow to love her. And some people do. IMHO.

The difference I feel is that instead of sticking it out and working through their problems, he/she/they walked away from their vows and we know what happened afterwards.

And no I'm not apportioning blame. There are three sides to every story. Your side, their side and the truth.

So I don't think she tried to keep him feeling young. I just think he felt the age difference more keenly than she did.

Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 04:35:42 pm »

Charles has always been old, even as a child.  He's too much of an introspective, gloomy gus to ever be joyously young and carefree.

Also, even though he obviously wasn't in love with Diana when they were engaged, he was obviously quite infatuated with her in the very early years such as when they went on their Australian tour and he was constantly touching her.   If Camilla had not started feeding Stuart Higgins with insider gossip and otherwise interfering with the marriage, C&D might have had a chance to develop a real marriage.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 01:06:51 am »

At which royal event was the Age Difference of Charles and Diana first apparently obvious?

Really A Baron
Sheridan_is_appalled
Baroness

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 01:18:06 am »

The wedding.  She looked like she could have been his daughter.

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 01:58:04 am »

^ ^ It wasn't so much specific events IMO, that made the age difference a huge chasm, along with other things, Charles's feelings for Camilla, differences in temperament, points of view, virtually nothing in common. These impacted on their private life together, while the front in public life continued almost to the end. They made a good Royal team in public.

I think the main diffence between them as far as the age gap went was that Charles was always old for his age. When you think about when he was born his late teens coincided with the 'Swinging Sixties' in Britain. He never reflected that in image in clothing, or anything else. Charles gravitated towards older people for friends, confidantes, Lord Mountbatten and van der Post for example were both in their seventies when he was in his twenties.

Diana when she wed was a very young (just) twenty. Scarred by her parents' divorce, taking refuge in the romance books of Barbara Cartland, she was very much of her generation in most other ways though, in music, clothing and urban pastimes. (While Charles liked communing with nature and hunting and fishing she was a town girl) I just don't think these two should ever have married.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 10:19:03 pm »

Was there any indication of the Age Difference when Lady Diana attended any of the polo matches of Charles?

Really A Baron
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 10:37:06 pm »

At the polo matches. ?     

FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 10:32:38 pm »

^Yes, Diana attended some of the Prince's polo matches when she was engaged.

Really A Baron
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 01:46:45 am »

FL,  why would an age gap matter at a polo match. ?    All ages attend polo matches. 

FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2017, 01:20:55 am »

How much of an interest in polo did Lady Diana have? Did her father or her brother Charles play polo?   
How much did Diana understand polo?

Really A Baron
Stargazer
courtier

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2017, 02:11:10 am »

I'm not sure about polo, but according to some only met 12 times before they were married. He read her Jung on their honeymoon in Scotland. She was 20 and into 1980s music and roller bladed around the palace. I'd say there was a huge age gap!
this makes interesting reading.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/princess-dianas-life-and-death-obituary-1282386
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2017, 03:35:57 am »

Charles wanted someone he could mold and turn into a woman he wanted, not a woman for who she was. Diana was supposedly going to be malleable and be a perfect mini-Charles and LOVE reading about Jung and all the philosophers when in fact she was just starting out in life.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 05:33:15 pm »

I don't think Camilla reads, does she?  Not very deep or educated.  So why did he want to force his 20-year-old bride to read boring stuff and get all philosophical?   Charles was a *fool* and has caused great damage to the monarchy.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 01:25:57 am »

If only the clock could turn back time to the wedding of Charles and Diana.   
If only they had the perfect marriage.

Really A Baron
Sheridan_is_appalled
Baroness

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2017, 02:14:50 am »

^ It's gut-wrenching to watch it again, knowing how things turned out.   Diana believed that Charles truly loved her.

Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 06:02:00 am »

King Tampax and his old squeeze .   Camilla is older than Charles , she led him by the nose.   sigh

CathyJane
Duchess

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 08:12:55 pm »

I'm thinking maybe it was a little lower than his nose.  Cool
sandy
Princess

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2017, 10:10:46 pm »

Charles should not have gone into the marriage in a half hearted hoping to 'learn to love' Diana. That is just plain wishy washy and unrealistic. If he did not love her then he had no business marrying her. He also had Camilla around as his 'friend' which only made matters worse.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: