Royal Gossip
September 24, 2017, 04:22:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catherine married on Catherine's Day  (Read 641 times)
FrederickLouis
courtier

« on: March 26, 2017, 11:11:22 pm »

The wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton took place on April 29, 2011.   
In the Church of England, April 29 is the feast day of Saint Catherine of Sienna.   
Do you think Prince William chose April 29 to honor Catherine Middleton so their wedding would be on Saint Catherine's feast day?
Sheridan_is_appalled
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 12:06:09 am »

I don't think William had any input as far as the date was concerned.  His stable assistants handled all the details except for those trees.

I haven't played since I stopped
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:40:30 pm »

Do you believe that one of William's assistants may have known about the religious significance of April 29 and thought it would be nice for a Catherine to be a bride on Catherine's Day?
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 11:11:39 pm »

^ I very much doubt that any of William's assistants would have been examining the Calendar of Saints when this wedding was being planned. Getting the mass of relatives in the BRF to gather on the one spot at any time is a major operation, especially with the busiest three, the Queen, Charles and Anne. Timing and logistics would have been uppermost when choosing the date.

William's not religious, and Kate's family certainly aren't, or the Middleton children would all have been confirmed in their early teens. They weren't, and Kate had to be instructed and confirmed before the wedding.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2261908/Hes-future-Defender-Faith--does-Prince-William-church-handful-times-year.html
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:44:35 pm »

The CoE acknowledges many of the saints that were in existence when they broke from Rome under Henry VIII but they don't actually take that much notice of any of them any more. Most members of the CoE wouldn't even know that there are saints outside of the really big ones - Peter and Paul, John, James etc but someone like St Catherine of Sienna wouldn't make it into the regular worship of any CoE church unless named specifically for her.

As a result I very much doubt that anyone took any notice of such a connection but rather chose a day and date that could give a long weekend to the public with an additional public holiday. The government would have had a big say in the choice of date and given its closeness to Easter caused less disruption than having another public holiday some other time in the year as this meant that many people could take an extra long break which the economy could handle as many were already thinking along those lines with Easter one weekend and the May long weekend on successive weekends.
Sheridan_is_appalled
Baroness

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:06:21 am »

^This was what I was trying to say.  William had no say in choosing the day. Not necessarily his assistants that chose it, it what was considered best suited for all. 

I haven't played since I stopped
LadyLaura
Baroness

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 12:24:16 am »

most laughable
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 11:45:05 pm »

How sad that the groom could not select his own wedding date!!  bignono bignono
Stargazer
courtier

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 12:04:30 am »

It's seems like a massive coincidence, entirely possible but maybe the Anglican Church selected or pointed out the date. Odd though we are only hearing about it now!

^I think this is what Willy boy rails against...his lack of freedom, and the personal price he has to pay for it notwithstanding the life of privilege and luxury.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 12:08:08 am »

^^  None of the senior royals have been able to set their own wedding date. Since the Second World War such events have all been set with various conditions and considerations. It will be the same for Harry when he marries. It will probably takes place on a Saturday, as a Government source indicated recently, because, if the wedding takes place at Westminster Abbey, the Mall and the procession route will have to be blocked off and that is better done on a weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: