Royal Gossip
November 22, 2017, 11:47:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Royal christening gowns  (Read 717 times)
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« on: March 22, 2017, 10:40:02 pm »

Christening of Prince Frederik of Denmark in 1968     
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaKVe5bb7qU

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:11:14 am »

H.R.H. Prince Alexander of Sweden was christened on September 9, 2016. He wore an heirloom christening gown. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8W3OSjq5cI

Really A Baron
jackiew
courtier

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:45:52 am »

Lovely  loveshower , I liked Fred's gown and the outfit of one of his godmothers the one who took his cap off.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 01:52:44 am »

The christening gown of Queen Elizabeth I of England   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/280208408046518783

Really A Baron
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 03:25:47 pm »

If you are referring to this gown as the one in which HM was christened in, then she would she not be be Queen Elizabeth II of England and Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland?

But I've no idea if HM is QE II of Wales. Or what she would be called in Northern Ireland.

But I do like your historical aspect to royal families FL and do learn a lot from your posts.  flower a great deal actually.

So thank you for that.  thankyou
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 05:32:37 pm »

The gown in the Pininterest FL posted is supposedly the christening gown of the Tudor monarch Elizabeth I, not the present queen. Don't know whether that gown is authentic though. The present Queen is Elizabeth II of England, Wales, (a principality) and Northern Ireland.

To the Scots she's Queen Elizabeth I because the Act of Union (between England and Scotland) occurred long after the Tudors, and Queen Elizabeth I never ruled Scotland. During her time as monarch Mary Queen of Scots ruled north of the border, until 1567 when she was deposed in favour of her baby son, James.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 06:17:07 pm »

^ Good info on Wales, it never occurred to me to ask, even though I kind of wondered how Wales fit, because Liz is queen of E, S & NI... So, Wales is a principality!

As far as I know, Victoria's christening gown has been used in the family ever since her, though the fabric became too frail over time, so they've been using an exact replica for a long time now. Liz was most likely christened in Vicky's gown.

I respect many traditions (every family has them!), but it always strikes me as weird/ odd how much of it Victoria (& Albert) and her son Edward VII introduced and they stick with it to this day. Seeing how long there's been a monarchy in England and how long this dynasty has been ruling, the traditions in comparison are actually fairly new and they don't change any, even just for a bit. Eg they celebrate Christmas the German way ever since Vic & Al..
Victoria was a petulant & spoilt woman, I bet she'd be pleased to see how many things have stuck since she's started them (incl eg keeping the room where Albert died exactly as is!!!!! I think it still is exactly as then!!).
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 06:35:15 pm »

Is that the room at Balmoral, I know there's a chair that is never used since Q Victoria used it, but I've never heard of Prince Albert's room remaining untouched.

Can you tell me more please?

Thank you.  thankyou
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 06:43:43 pm »

I wish I could, I saw that on a programme the other day (or week?) but sadly I don't remember anymore which or what the show/ documentary is called.. Or youtube video? Totally escapes me.
What I remember is that Victoria had the room untouched and even had clothes laid out for him for a long while and then (I think  Embarrassed) only occasionally later, on special occasions or something like that and I'm pretty sure that (according to Vicky's wishes) the room has stayed "Albert's room" and remained untouched ever since.
That's all I'm afraid.. I bet more info is available with a bit of googling, if I'm not too lazy later on I'll look around and see if I can find anything to verify this!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 11:07:14 pm »

Lovely  loveshower , I liked Fred's gown and the outfit of one of his godmothers the one who took his cap off.

That's amazing it's held up this long.  Beautiful work.  What a fun job that would be.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 02:45:53 am »

Wrong thread for this, but Queen Victoria and Prince Albert slept together, he didn't have a separate bedroom, but about twenty years after his death Victoria received a minister in what had been Albert's dressing room at BP and as they sat talking he was amazed to see smoke rising from hot water that was laid out for Albert to shave. Not a thing had changed in that room since 1861, including laying out of clothing, lighting of lamps etc. A painted miniature of Albert was pinned to his pillow in the beds he shared with Victoria, and she sometimes clung to his nightshirt. It was the same in all the Royal residences. However, I don't think these rooms were kept as they were after Victoria's death.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 03:28:07 am »

^Quite correct.  

We have a thread for Queen Victoria and Albert.  Off topic in several posts.  Thank you.  YM

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 10:51:13 am »

sorry You're right, I replied on the room thing about Vic & Albert in their thread!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 02:08:07 pm »

^No harm done and I appreciate the response so much.  That's real teamwork!   thankyou

FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 02:16:34 am »

The christening gown of Prince Carl Gustav of Sweden 
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/436989970064459654

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 01:50:10 am »

The baptismal shirt of Tsarevich Alexis of Russia   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/102949541455090934

Really A Baron