Royal Gossip
September 21, 2017, 01:26:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In love with the idea  (Read 1080 times)
deGuernsey
Baroness

Failte

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 11:54:49 pm »

I'm terribly confused about British royal history but I always thought Edward was married to a woman named Lady Furness and he left her for Wallis Simpson? I must be more confused than I thought. Shocked

Barnabe et Kitty...
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 11:59:12 pm »

^ No, Thelma Lady Furness was one of his married mistresses. She lasted until Wallis came seriously into play. Thelma went off to the US to support her sister Gloria Vanderbilt in a horrendous custody case and Wallis nabbed Edward while she was away.
deGuernsey
Baroness

Failte

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2017, 12:01:37 am »

^Oh, thanks! Ah, so a sister of Gloria Vanderbilt so that makes her Anderson Cooper's aunt. Interesting.

Barnabe et Kitty...
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2017, 12:19:40 am »

The Gloria Vanderbilt whom the custody proceedings was all about was called 'little Gloria' in the media. She was a child at the time and is Anderson Cooper's aunt, I believe.
deGuernsey
Baroness

Failte

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2017, 12:30:49 am »

^ Wasn't she called Little Girl Lost or something like that or maybe that was Doris Duke or the Woolworths heiress? Anyway, I was shocked when Anderson Cooper was in an interview on CNN I believe and he referred to Gloria as his mother and went on to say his father was a writer and his brother committed suicide which is just so, so sad. bye

Barnabe et Kitty...
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2017, 01:03:12 am »

^ Yes, 'little Gloria' is Anderson Cooper's mother, not his aunt. My bad..! Her mother, Thelma's sister, was in a tremendous struggle with her husband's relatives as there were claims that she led a 'fast life' and was an unfit mother. Little Gloria later had jeans and jewellery lines. Thelma was later divorced and wrote about Edward being cold when she got back. She went to lunch at Fort Belvedere and Wallis played hostess, playfully slapped Edward's hand jokingly and gave Thelma a contemptuous glare as she was doing it. So Thelma knew it was time for her to move on!
deGuernsey
Baroness

Failte

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 01:22:00 am »

^ Oh wow! I didn't know this stuff Shocked

Barnabe et Kitty...
sandy
Princess

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 01:27:26 am »

Thelma made the mistake of going on a sea voyage and telling Wallis to "take care" of the Prince of Wales. Wallis did.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 01:40:21 am »

^As a mistress Thelma should have realized that she couldn't afford to let down her guard.

I think with Diana, Diana wanted to bury a painful past and apparently thought that Charles would be able to banish her inner demons and turn her into an entirely new person. Such is the irony, she couldn't be rescued from unresolved issues and couldn't be fixed by anyone other than herself.

After his romance with one young aristo woman was refused by his parents when he was young (Rosemary Leveson Gower, and we don't really know whether the romance was that serious) Edward never looked at suitable aristocratic girls again. He certainly never investigated the possibility of a foreign bride. Most previous foreign Royal brides had come from Protestant German kingdoms and that was unacceptable after WWI. Edward confined himself to married mistresses and was deeply involved with one (Freda Dudley Ward) for years from 1917 onwards. So Edward being married to a responsible Princess wasn't a realistic option.

During the time of Queen Victoria, Victoria wouldn't consent to any possibility of a match unless the potential bride was summoned to her court to be looked over. This caused a horrendous scandal when Queen Victoria demanded that Grand Duchess Marie (Romanov) of Russia (daughter of the reigning Tsar) be sent to England to be looked over before Victoria gave her consent to having Marie join the family. The Tsar and Empress were outraged at the thought of having their daughter subject to an inspection as if their daughter were nothing but a woman in a brothel. The marriage happened, but there was no premarital inspection.

I do believe that no foreign family wanted their daughters end up being known as one of many looked over and refused by a prince, with the princess in question ending up in a position of being a royal discard. A Germanic princess was out of the question, but regrettably the majority of foreign princesses were Catholic and came from dethroned families. No French princess, no Polish princesses, no Italian princesses would have been welcomed by the public.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 02:37:13 am »

After WWI the George V didn't want anymore foreign princesses at all. He wanted to make the family more British to cement the connection to the British people. That is why he encouraged his sons and daughter to marry into British noble houses rather than look to foreign royals. The only son who looked to a foreign royal house was the youngest, George (yes I know there was another one in John but he never reached marriageable age). By the time George married two of the older brothers had married and there were two children - Elizabeth and Margaret - in the next generation to keep the children of a foreign princess from coming to the British throne.

The BRF don't look to foreigners anymore for future spouses, certainly for those in line of succession to the throne, as they want to be seen as being totally British rather than a mix of British and foreign.

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2017, 03:19:32 am »

How Diana's emotional instability sent Charles into therapy for 14 years: Eminent royal biographer claims Prince was in a 'terrible trap' after his 'tormented' wife refused help and continually sparked rows even when he was trying to pray

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4369674/Diana-s-emotional-instability-sent-Charles-therapy.html#ixzz4cxb70eyg
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What are they trying to do here make people feel sorry for Charles ,make people feel sorry for Diana or this some werid underline message for Kate and Meghan
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:24:37 am by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2017, 05:48:56 am »

^ I don't think it's a warning for anyone, just the DM stirring the pot as usual. They know that there are still many Diana fans out there and that Charles is not overly popular. So they are cherry-picking extracts from Sally Bedell-Smith's forthcoming book in the hope of getting people fired up enough to click on their on line comments section. That's one of their most well-worn tactics but it seems to work every time.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2017, 01:01:00 pm »

Charles is just shooting himself in the foot again. He condones this IMO and Bedell Smith is a hack writer who will try to get in good with Charles. Bedell Smith wrote a Diana bashing book in 1999. I find it amusing about the stories of Charles' praying. There are some crude comments about Camilla and Charles praying, but I won't repeat them here.
HRHOlya
Countess

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2017, 02:23:57 pm »

^^^ Much of it is repeated old suff, part of it known as lies.
Saw the article yesterday and instantly thought that this is the continuation of the "Diana smear campaign", and I'm pretty convinced that I'm right, because 1. there were recently a couple of articles that brought up Charles's less than nice side, incl some behaviour of his towards his wife at the time, and 2. we have to be realistic, Liz is getting older and at her age that cold around Xmas could have been it, the day of Charles becoming king is coming closer, so he's trying to make "queen Camilla" happen.

And to come back to the original question: Sure, Diana was most likely "in love with the idea", like any 18 or 19 year old would be, to be swept off her feet by a prince. It was not the cunning way, trying to move into power and a family that's "ruling", more the romanticised idea of a prince marrying her (sth she also probably enjoyed day dreaming about, likely fuelled by Barb Cartland's books, most little girls and teens still day dream of princes).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:26:31 pm by HRHOlya » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: