Royal Gossip
November 24, 2017, 02:47:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In love with the idea  (Read 1289 times)
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« on: March 02, 2017, 09:15:50 pm »

Was Diana more in love with the idea of marrying the heir to the throne than with the actual heir?   
loveshower loveshower loveshower

Really A Baron
india
Princess

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 10:07:11 pm »

Yes.^
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 09:30:56 pm »

Was Diana more in love with the idea of marrying the heir to the throne than with the actual heir?   

Yes; it wasn't Charles the man she was marrying, it was Charles the fairy story prince; if he had been the Honorable Charles Windsor, Diana wouldn't have given him a side glance and he would have ended up simply another member of her set, not someone she could bring herself to love.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 11:34:45 pm »

Kuei Fei, I like you mentioning about Charles the fairy story prince. How many young ladies were enthralled with the idea of marrying the Prince?

Really A Baron
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 01:48:38 am »

So many. Charles once kissed a random woman and that woman followed him to another place wondering if it meant something special and she had to be told that there was nothing there and she needed to move on. I think it's intriguing that Diana had a poster of Charles and ended up idolizing him so much that he ended up being unable to live up to her constant expectations that he would be eternally charming and handsome and keep rescuing her.

I think that it's coincidental that like Diana, Kate did the same thing. I think Kate and Diana and those like them want to constantly be swept up and away and not at all face the rality that their princes are human and have needs of their own, emotionally and psychologically that these admittedly immature young women can't accept since they want their idol to be extraordinary to a point where they aren't allowed to be human.

I think Charles (as mentioned by Tina Brown) needed Camilla to talk dirty with, to be more of a man than a prince all the time. I think William is unable to cope with Kate's constant determination to be a damsel in distress in need of rescuing. Diana also had her victim complex and Kate has one in spades. It could well be that a huge problem royals have isn't the lack of privacy, but the lack of being able to be human.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 12:45:29 am »

If the Prince of Wales had been any other young gentleman than Charles Windsor, would Diana still have been enthralled with the idea of marrying the heir to the throne?

Really A Baron
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 02:42:47 am »

Yes actually; Diana was always looking for a man to take care of her, her entire life.

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 09:01:44 pm »

Diana was courted by Prince Charles .. and she fell in love with him.   Unlike her sister she would have loved him no matter if he had been a dustman.   

sandy
Princess

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 07:56:50 pm »

Charles had to do the courting. He pursued Diana not the other way around. He needed heirs which is why he pursued her.
dianab
Countess

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 08:26:06 pm »

Yes; it wasn't Charles the man she was marrying, it was Charles the fairy story prince; if he had been the Honorable Charles Windsor, Diana wouldn't have given him a side glance and he would have ended up simply another member of her set, not someone she could bring herself to love.
Agree. She grew up reading these Barbara Cartland novels, she was treated for her family as a second class citizen (that girl wasnt particularly good at anything), when this important man started courting her it was a boost to her self-esteem... she probably thought she was living a real Barbara Cartland novel. If he was just a aristo I doubt she would care for him. Look at the men fell for after Charles... couldnt be more different of Charles. All of them commoners, no one of them believes/d in a 19th century lifestyle. Diana herself told to Peter Settelen, her attraction was this man in a high position had taken an interest at her. I dont see her as calculating or malicious. Just naive, sheltered and full of illusions.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 08:56:15 pm »

Diana came from a family that also instilled a huge amount of family pride into her and she believed she was entitled to the best and a prince was 'the best.' I don't think she was ignorant of the luster that a legitimate royal connection would bring and I do not think that she was unaware that her family was trying to get her sister fixed up with a prince and I do not believe that she was unaware that for two hundred years, the Spencers were in fact always trying to get a member of their family into the RF via a legitimate marriage and having their lineage entwined with that of the royal family. A huge reason the Spencers moved like a military unit in protecting Diana is in fact because they were not going to let the tabloid press wreck up to two hundred years' worth of ambition to gain a member of their family as a married-in royal. Diana wasn't an ordinary young ingenue in the least; it was ambition mixed with idealism and nothing else.

sandy
Princess

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:30:29 pm »

I think Diana liked that her father was proud of her when he found out the Prince proposed and she accepted. Her mother did not share her misgivings with Diana as she told her biographer later on. She fell for Charles and could not believe he was courting her and wanted her to be his wife.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 11:46:43 pm »

Did Prince Charles ask Earl Spencer for Lady Diana's hand in marriage?

Really A Baron
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 12:39:33 am »

^Yes, Charles did ask Earl Spencer's permission, but he asked Diana first if she thought marriage to him would be too horrible and told her to think it over. After Diana returned from a trip to Australia with her mother and step father in February 1981, Charles asked and got Earl Spencer's blessing for the match.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2017, 12:48:41 pm »

Diana told Morton that Charles called Earl Spencer  after Diana accepted (but he did call his mother first). Diana's friends and siblings and mother  knew she had accepted but the announcement was not made until Diana returned from Australia.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 06:45:09 pm »

I am sure the teenaged Diana was swept off her feet at attention from the most eligible bachelor in the UK.   Also, she thought that as Heir to the Throne, he could never divorce her.  That was important to her after her scars from her parents' divorce.

Alas, nothing was as she thought . . .
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 03:43:15 am »

Diana was more British and had more Royal blood than Charles could ever hope to have.  The royal family needed Better genes, British genes and Tall genes.   She was used and ill treated.  I doubt the monarchy will be able to move past that stain. 

FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:55:21 pm »

Do you believe that the British monarchy would not be in dire straits if King George VI's elder brother, Prince Edward, as Prince of Wales, would have married a respectable and responsible foreign Princess and he would have remained on the throne as King Edward VIII with an ideal wife as Queen Consort?

Really A Baron
Tatiana
Countess

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 11:46:55 pm »

Edward was very popular, my grandmother said she cried when he abdicated, in fact the entire family cried.   I think if he had chosen another wife of childbearing age .. there would none of this lot on Throne today     YES he was loved, and YES he was wanted.  Sadly he had no ambition to be King.

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 11:52:08 pm »

After his romance with one young aristo woman was refused by his parents when he was young (Rosemary Leveson Gower, and we don't really know whether the romance was that serious) Edward never looked at suitable aristocratic girls again. He certainly never investigated the possibility of a foreign bride. Most previous foreign Royal brides had come from Protestant German kingdoms and that was unacceptable after WWI. Edward confined himself to married mistresses and was deeply involved with one (Freda Dudley Ward) for years from 1917 onwards. So Edward being married to a responsible Princess wasn't a realistic option.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: