Royal Gossip
June 29, 2017, 01:31:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Books on the honeymoon  (Read 354 times)
FrederickLouis
courtier

« on: January 17, 2017, 09:56:13 pm »

On his honeymoon with Princess Diana aboard the yacht Britannia, Prince Charles brought a novel by Sir Laurens van der Post. Seven books came on the honeymoon.   
Should Charles have brought the books?   
study study study study study study study
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 11:01:29 pm »

Did he take books on his honeymoon with Camilla?  Doubt it.  Weren't some of these books for Diana to read as well? 
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:24:51 pm »

I think this was part of the problem... they had different interests, incompatibility problems. Charles enjoyed reading and wanted to share some of his books with his new wife. Diana viewed it as a slap in the face that her new husband was ignoring her.

To be fair, he had known Camilla a lot longer and she had probably read the books by the time she and Charles married. Lots in common, lots to talk about. Maybe he did bring books, maybe not.

I don't agree with adultery, but I think the incompatibility issue was sad. Difficult, but not impossible to work through. If they wanted to make it work, they should have compromised. Have some time each day dedicated to reading, and some time for activities together. I think it would have helped them both with personal growth (going outside their comfort zone, doing an activity they wouldn't have chosen to do on their own) and being able to understand their spouse better.
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:12:19 am »

leogirl, That is an excellent idea that Charles and Diana have some times for activities together. She may have been a young twenty year old when she first married him, but sooner or later, she would have to know more about him.
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:01:16 pm »

he had known Camilla a lot longer and she had probably read the books

Sorry, leogirl, but this really tickled me.  Camilla read a book?     laugh

No, their interests were sex, fox hunting, and more sex.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 07:15:50 am »

Laurens van der Post was a fraud who deceived people about everything from the amount of time he actually spent with the Bushmen to his military record during World War II. His claim that he had brokered the settlement in the Rhodesian civil war was a lie as was his insistence that he was a close friend of Jung's.  His books are a hard slog to get through, he taught Charles to talk to plants.  Charles swallowed all he said hook, line and sinker.     Charles should not have expected a girl just out of her teens to swoon over this nonsense. 

sandy
Princess

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:28:56 pm »

I doubt very much Camilla even opened the  "intellectual" books. She was said to like "light reading" and judging by the taped conversation with Charles, I doubt they had "intellectual" conversations. Diana and Charles did not have Camilla in common. Van Der Post also expounded on the "virtues" of mistress keeping and kept a mistress and had a wife too. Charles probably found that very "intellectual" discussion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: