Royal Gossip
November 22, 2017, 11:38:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Prince Philip have a middle name?  (Read 545 times)
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« on: December 30, 2016, 11:11:19 pm »

In Prince Philip, Philip Eade wrote: Registered in nearby Corfu Town under the name of Philippos, he was sixth in line to the Greek throne.     

Was Prince Philip given a middle name?

Really A Baron
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:09:32 am »

No.

He is a rarity as he does only have the one name.

When at school in France he was asked to give the teacher his name and he said 'Philip' and when asked for more simply said 'of Greece'. He has no other names.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:56:22 am »

It looks like his father and siblings all just had the one name as well.  dontknow
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 03:13:23 am »

^ Prince Philip and his sisters were christened in the Greek Orthodox tradition. It's not usual, or at least it wasn't then, to give babies in the Greek Orthodox Church more than one name.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:42:46 pm »

www.imdb.com/name/nm0697611/bio   
Birth Name Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glucksburg   
Prince of Greece and Denmark   

Does this mean that Andreou (Andrew) is Philip's middle name?

Really A Baron
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 11:45:28 pm »

^ I don't know about that... IMDb isn't the most reliable source (anyone can edit info) and I can't seem to find that anywhere else except another royal forum where you copied and pasted that message from... http://www.royalinsight.net/forum/index.php?topic=79473.0

It looks like you copied the first message from the thread onto this site as well. huh blink
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:53:53 am »

www.imdb.com/name/nm0697611/bio   
Birth Name Philippos Andreou of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderberg-Glucksburg   
Prince of Greece and Denmark   

Does this mean that Andreou (Andrew) is Philip's middle name?

I think it means Philippos, son of Andreou. I've read several biographies of Prince Philip. In none of them does it state that he has a second name. His father Andreou didn't have a second name. Philip's four sisters didn't have any middle names. Andrew was a member of the Greek Orthodox Church, and a very patriotic man. It wasn't customary at that time for members of the Greek House, who followed the Orthodox tradition, to be given two or more names.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 08:40:26 pm »

Philip was born Philippos and the Andrew part is his patronym. It is extremely uncommon for orthodox Christians (& Slavonic people) to have middle names. Even in countries were a patronym isn't too common (like it is absolutely normal in Russia), patronyms are still used in some documents and pop up in personal documents from time to time (Rosella explained it well already, I'm just basically adding the tidbit about the patronyms).
To me personally it is better to have no middle name than 4 or even 8 like in some dynasties.. One middle name I can see sense with and even two, but all beyond that is ridculous.

PS Or worse, the ridicule of having "Maria/ Marie" as one of the middle names (for boys/ men!! not talking about women here!), like it is common amongst Catholics (still it is so in Germanic countries, esp amongst the now defunct houses).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:44:21 pm by HRHOlya » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 09:52:01 pm »

^in spain until very recently you needed to use maria in a name unless it was a saint's name. But I am not really sure about men using maria, I haven't heard it much. Maybe more joseph/jose?

BTW I like the long names it makes it look different and royal. In spain for the first grandchild of JC they used a long name with a very "funny" saint name in the middle and he ended up being known in the press by that name. The RF didn't like it and the rest of the grandchildren had more normal names which is sad because a tradition was lost and it made everything more"common".

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 10:42:45 pm »

^ I googled about the use of "Maria" for boys as middle name and some said that it is common amongst Hispanic/ Latin people, but I personally don't know whether it's true. I do know with certainity though that it was very common amongst German speaking people and still is done, though not as often (and only Catholics did/ do it), and "normal" people do it as well as old "noble" families, though the defunct houses often still stick with tradition and give their children ridiculous and ridiculously long names with a "Maria" thrown in (for boys & girls).

I was (pleasantly!) suprised that Leonor and Sofia don't have a handful of names (no middle names in fact).
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 12:13:41 am »

^for me it was boring and that they were afraid on how the press/people would end up calling them a bit ridiculous. In spain you can only use two names so they were an exception to this rule so kind of interesting and now it does not happen.

Maria in males I don't think it's quite usual there is the name Jose Maria which was popular.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: