Royal Gossip
November 22, 2017, 07:03:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone interested in genealogy? Have you a copy of your family tree?  (Read 1211 times)
deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« on: October 30, 2016, 02:08:31 am »

Is anyone here interested in genealogy?  Have you found you are related to or descended from legendary, famous, unforgettable people? Any criminals in your family tree? Have any of you found out you are related to each other? Wouldn't that be something!   tehe flower  Care to share? flower

I have a very interesting family tree. From blue bloods to soldiers to founders of cities and states and countries to entertainers to Scottish bordellos owners. Jajaja!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:14:20 am by deGuernsey » Logged

Barnabe et Kitty...
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 03:03:38 am »

The problem is that I have very common last names in my family tree, so it's difficult to pinpoint which people are my ancestors.  dontknow
deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:39:18 am »

^ Have you tried a variation of a name? For instance, I have a McGinnis in my grandmum's mum's mum's side. McGinnis can be Magenis, MacInnes, MacGinnis, etc. Origin of name can be Irish McGuiness and misspelled by Americans umfamiliar with name or it can be from the Scottish MacInnes. A little digging helps. Also, have you tried public members family trees on Ancestry.com? Many have sources like baptismal, marriage and census records. They are usually a good find. Hope this helps. flower

I don't know about my Slavic grandfather's family. That's going to take some researching I don't want to do. tehe It's going to be A LOT of work me thinks. They rest is easy for me as it's already in history books online etc. Luckily. But that darn Slavic line... rot! Jajaja!  tehe

Barnabe et Kitty...
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 06:17:08 am »

I use familysearch.org (free).
Joanna
courtier

Isabella of Portugal, Holy Roman Empress

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 11:31:48 am »

I have much interest and I'm making my genealogical tree. I have very unusual surnames so, the unfortunate thing is that I found that my family has many secrets and apart from that, there's a lot of inbreeding, which I had no idea about, nor did my parents, we're uncovering lots of secrets ick
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 12:40:43 pm »

I guess what I'm most proud of is that, on my great-grandfather's side, I can trace back to a family blood birth in 1742 and a patriot during the Revolutionary War which has made each woman in my family a member of the DAR.  That's a Daughet of the American Revolution.   Kiss

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 02:46:25 pm »

^ I have heard of the DAR but don't know? Do they have family trees of old New England families?  dontknow Please forgive my ignorance but what is a blood birth? Are you descended from Mayflower families? How interesting! I have read that many of the people who came to America in 1500s and 1600s have THOUSANDS  of descendants! !! Shocked

One of my more curious ancestors is Fannie Molyneux. She was born on Prince Edward Island to Robert Molyneux. British National Historical whatever it is and many genealogists have this as the Robert Molyneux who fled to Canada with his children basically in order to keep his head attached to his shoulders before going back to Ireland! This in 1700s. Well, it is written Robert Molyneux is of the Irish Molyneux whose family include the man who looted, er, first discovered King Tut's Tomb and Lord Porchester QE II close confidant and friend.  Apparently Robert Molyneux had 13-19 children in Ireland, France and Canada. I haven't enough evidence to satisfy myself either way but then again I haven't done much research. The jury's out on this one as I clearly dont have the evidence the above have but interesting nonetheless. thumbsup

I have seen MANY mistakes made on my family tree and posted to the internet so I just read and use if indisputable evidence is attached. I do follow The Book of Dow even though some mistakes are listed in the book. Haviland genealogy,  too. Military records and wills, probate, etc have been useful.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:50:53 pm by deGuernsey » Logged

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:59:58 pm »

As to your question re the DAR, New England is just one of many, all, states who have registries of the DAR.  Records are kept in the national archives in Washington DC and heavily vetted.  Blood birth means no adoption or through marriage.  There has to be a blood trail very much like the monarchy,  any break in that negates your membership.  Make sense?

So, in my case, my great grandfather was married to a blood line of the DAR which passed down to me through my maternal grandmother.  No break.

We have found no direct link to original settlers of Jamestown in my family but early 1700s, yes, but it should be noted that any members and their direct blood relatives of those original settlers are exempt from taxation.  Proving that is very heavily examined but are quite elite in the US.

Your family history is fascinating and worth looking into!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 03:05:19 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 03:05:15 pm »

So the DAR is for women who have a male who fought in the Revolutionary War? 

Blood line, right, got it!  I never thought of it that way but makes sense.  tehe That's what we all look for, really...  tehe

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 03:06:15 pm »

^Correct. But, it's male or female.  Women fought I the Rev War, too.

deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 03:16:40 pm »

^ thanks for the info. Yes, my family tree is a mixed bag so to speak but rarely boring a read. I could go on and on about the famous, infamous, locally well known etc people I am descended from and cousins to. That being said I cringe to know of the criminals in the more modern generations. But don't we all have a few to make mention of?  Shocked  Embarrassed but then again I may have more than just a few. Oh, well. tehe  I try to focus on the good people and not the bad so much. tehe blink

Barnabe et Kitty...
deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »

This is some of what I can find on internet.

QE II - her mum QE Bowes-Lyon - her brother David Boees-Lyon  his wife Rachel Spender-Clay  her mum Pauline Astor  her father William Astor  his father John Astor  his brother William Astor  his wife Caroline Schermerhorn  her father Abraham S  his mum Elizabeth Bussing  her father Abraham B  his mum Sarah Slover  her father Isaac S  his sister Susanna S. Her son Jacob King  his son Charles K. His wife Charity Pennington  her sister Alice P her dau Elizabeth Flowers  her son John Sullivan his wife Sarah Neilson her mum Mary  Rafter her mum Mary Marguerite McKemzie her father Lawrence McKenzie  b. Ireland.

Now, Lawrence McKenzie is my gr gr gr gr gr gr grandfather from his dau Mary Marguerite McKenzie who married Thomas Rafter.  What are the odds this line is accurate?  I would say slim to none even though I haven't researched it.

There are other lines from QEII from her mum to my ancestors such as Benjamin Haviland and Lucy Craw to name two. Also, from PD (shudders) to my ancestors which some link her American ancestors to brothers wives and their sisters sons to my ancestors (see Rosella's post in Surrogacy Thread) and from Camilla Parker-Bowles to the above Mary Marguerite McKemzie born in Canada. What are the odds this is accurate? I would say slim to none although I admit again I have not done the research.

I am saying there is a lot of guessing and if  someone else wrote it so it must be true going on so it makes me weary at times sifting through the half truths etc.  Wikitree is the biggest offender in my opinion. The LDS is good and bad but needs additional research to support or disprove the trees...
 flower  Okay rant over.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:45:41 pm by deGuernsey » Logged

Barnabe et Kitty...
deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 03:16:14 am »

The problem is that I have very common last names in my family tree, so it's difficult to pinpoint which people are my ancestors.  dontknow
I hear you.  I was doing well until I found a Samuel Smith married an Elizabeth  (maiden name?) Smith in England moved to New England in 1680s (I think). Samuel Smith's father was Samuel Smith and his mum was Mary Morton or was it Morgan... amd there are differing camps as to who Samuel Smith Sr parents...you can imagine my eyes crossing... I Ihave even stepped away from the Smith line several times but I just am sooooo confused. It's ridiculous of me but there it is. I simply can't make heads or tails of this line and both camps use sources. I don't know how to trace this common name. blink Shocked

I guess what I'm most proud of is that, on my great-grandfather's side, I can trace back to a family blood birth in 1742 and a patriot during the Revolutionary War which has made each woman in my family a member of the DAR.  That's a Daughet of the American Revolution.   Kiss
Today I came across a source for my John Craw and Rebeckah Galpin where someone had received confirmation from a SAR.  Jajaja!  And you had just mentioned it!!! I guess my ancestors fought on both sides!!!
I use familysearch.org (free).

I think I mistook this site for another. There are sooo many sites out there!!  I found a millennium file source attached to several of my ancestors on ancestry.com and it said from Provo, Utah. I think I know what site you are referring to. Many on ancestry use it.... I'm going to log on to familysearch in the next couple of days... thanks for the tip. flower

My most interesting find in the past week... McBaith/McBeth from Scotland. I am beginning to think my grandmum was more Irish and Scottish than English? huh??   Thanks everyone for responses. flower

Barnabe et Kitty...
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2016, 08:08:47 pm »

I found out that some of my ancestors were named Dallas from a village in Scotland, and they were the ones who were the founding fathers of Dallas, Texas in the USA! And it is  still known by that name today. My family name as it was then!

So   hello to my American cousins.  and other cousins I've yet to find too.  hello

And it was amazing to find out how many could not write their names and had to sign it with a 'X'.

But for the Grace of God, or because of advances in education, that might have been me. 
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2016, 08:47:37 pm »

^How cool, you little yellow rose, you!

^^Oh my!  You should really contact the DAR and see about getting an application!!!!  I'm so excited for you.  We are all, indeed, cousins in one way or the other, aren't we? 

deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2016, 02:22:27 am »

I found out that some of my ancestors were named Dallas from a village in Scotland, and they were the ones who were the founding fathers of Dallas, Texas in the USA! And it is  still known by that name today. My family name as it was then!

So   hello to my American cousins.  and other cousins I've yet to find too.  hello

And it was amazing to find out how many could not write their names and had to sign it with a 'X'.

But for the Grace of God, or because of advances in education, that might have been me. 
Awesome. Have you visited Dallas?  I didn't know Dallas was a Scottish name!  There is a large Scottish and Scotch-Irish community in Dallas and the Scottish Rite Hospital is HUGE here. I know the Celtic Festival is big yearly and there is a St Paddy's day parade that gets a lot of media attention. IIRC it is on Greenville Av. Hope you find more cousins!

I have found my paternal grandfather had three siblings I have never heard of before! I wasn't raised with this side of my relations so this is truly new to me. The same grandfather also was married to Mexican woman and having babies with my grandmum... I take it from the years of birth of cildren he went back and forth between women! I now wonder how many other children he had! I wonder if my aunts and uncles and cousins know about me?  Shocked

My paternal grandparents were quite scandalous and had multiple children from many different partners. They were ahead of their time!  dontknow I also have to face the fact my maternal grandfather killed my pregnant grandmum. Grandmummy and my auntie both died. My grandfather was never arrested or charged with a crime.  OMFG!!!! There is so much good in my family heritage, great really, and then there is the downright shockingly cruel.... bye Shocked

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2016, 04:19:06 am »

^Wow!!!  How did you find out about your maternal grandfather murdering your grandmother?  Do you know how/why?  How awful!!!   We've got nothing that exciting in our family.  Except for my grandmother's brother, Jim.  He spent a great deal of time, as a scientist, living with the Eskimos and got one of the women in the tribe pregnant.  They put her out on an ice flow to kill both her and the baby!

My grandmother left me a picture of the two of them being tossed up and down on a huge trampoline along with the story.  Poor woman and baby.   bye

Sophie
courtier

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 12:47:32 pm »

^ Oh, that is so sad! 
deGuernsey
Baroness

Gra

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 05:38:19 pm »

^^ bye  OMG!! That is soooo cruel! Do you mean to say they actually photographed the poor woman and child floating away on ice? And why would they wait until the child was born? Oh, my... sob I don't mean to sound crude but I always heard that the men offered up the women se*ually to visiting men as this was a way to welcome the stranger. I guess that was an old wives tale! But how fantastic to work with the Inuit! Was this in Canada or Alaska or Norway or?  Gosh, you have some real goodies in your family tree (minus the murder)!  thumbsup tehe

As for my grandmum my grandfather beat her quite a lot even during her pregnancies. Her family told her to leave him but she wouldn't and then it happened and she and baby died days after childbirth. I had heard of it since I was a child but didn't want to fully believe it. Unfortunately, it made the papers and that was undeniable proof for me. Odd in that my grandmum was the great love of his life and he treated her so badly. It must have been the booze. He was a Slavic chronic alcoholic. There is sooo much more to this story but  I will leave it at that.  flower I find I still love him dearly but not as much as my grandmum who is said to have been a truly wonderful woman and decent human being. I am proud to hear that. Always. hug

Barnabe et Kitty...
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 05:46:12 pm »

^Good grief, your story about your grandparents.  The damage the alcohol abuse can do.  So sorry.

And, no, no, no, the photograph of my grandmother's brother and the woman was during a festival.  It was to just remember the woman that he supposedly loved.  And she was rejected by her tribe and put on the ice while pregnant.  She did not survive nor was expected to.  They did the same thing to the very elderly who were going to die anyway.  Those were strange days.  This would be, I'd guess, around Civil War era.  My grandmother was the youngest of 16 children and Jim, the eldest. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: