Royal Gossip
September 24, 2018, 01:04:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World News  (Read 3060 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 02:05:44 am »

^No!  I was alone then.  My husband hadn’t fulfilled full requirements to leave his job so I was on my own until March 2004.  I was scared to death and had just started my appointment at Salk in September.  It was a huge huge mess.  I remember the ceiling fans had to be thrown out.  And we were given one hour’s notice by loud speakers to get supplies before driving was banned. 

I evacuated for only one day to a shelter so was lucky. At least my house was still standing.  Unlike so many others. 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Little light
Countess

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 01:12:36 pm »

I didn’t know that YM.

I’m so glad you’re safe and your home not destroyed. Even if it is a mess inside.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:36 pm »

^Thank you, LL!  It was no fun.  That Cedar Fire stands as the largest in CA history.  Maybe that's unfortunately changed now.

My heart just aches for those in the one now especially the firefighters and animals who seem to take the worst hits.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/07/southern-california-wildfires-force-mass-evacuations-in-los-angeles.html

The relentless wind-whipped wildfires ravaging Southern California are expected to worsen Thursday, as dangerous winds are forecast to fan the flames in different directions and force new evacuations around the second-largest city in the U.S.

Winds on Thursday topped 50 mph already in the greater Los Angeles area, keeping residents across the region wary as more than 200,000 people have been forced from their homes and nearly 200 homes and buildings have been destroyed since the fires broke out late Sunday.

“We are in the beginning of a protracted wind event,” Ken Pimlott, director of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (Cal Fire), told the Los Angeles Times. “There will be no ability to fight fire in these kinds of winds.”

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 10:09:10 pm »

^ You were very lucky!

Hope you're all safe from the current fires in LA, saw it on the news. Just wow!
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2017, 02:30:05 pm »

^Thank you!  So many I know are affected but San Diego still spared the brutal brunt of it.  Air quality is abysmal, though. 

And it's still rockin and reelin in LA County/Santa Barbara:

http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_31532108/flames-threaten-rich-california-enclave-residents-flee

MONTECITO, Calif. (AP) -- Firefighters trying to prevent one of the biggest fires in California's history from consuming homes in Santa Barbara and the nearby wealthy enclave of Montecito were hoping less powerful winds would help them after they managed to stop it from burning thousands of residences.

After winds roared at around 30 mph (48 kph), with gusts to about 60 mph (97 kph) on Saturday, they were expected to ease Sunday with gusts of up to 35 mph (56 kph) on Sunday.

But even the lower intensity winds are still extremely dangerous, said fire spokesman Jude Olivas.

The fire that started 12 days ago has burned at least 700 homes and killed a firefighter, but Olivas said firefighters saved thousands of homes from being destroyed on Saturday.

The winds "will go down a little bit, hopefully we can do the same job (Sunday) that we did today," he said.

Earlier Saturday, residents piled into cars and fled on Saturday, turning downtown Santa Barbara into what one resident called "a ghost town."

There were mandatory evacuations around Montecito and neighboring Summerland came as firefighters sprayed water onto hot spots sparked by wind-blown embers. They also drove to the historic San Ysidro Ranch in yellow firetrucks as heavy smoke rose from the coastal hills, blotting out blue skies.

A portion of Santa Barbara was under mandatory evacuation. At the city's zoo, workers began putting some animals into crates and kennels, to ready them for possible evacuation.

California's Thomas Fire Grows, Triggers New Evacuations

Read more: http://www.lowellsun.com/breakingnews/ci_31532108/flames-threaten-rich-california-enclave-residents-flee#ixzz51Wq0FIiM

Little light
Countess

« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2017, 09:03:58 pm »

Apparently you can see the smoke form "outer space."

Well from Google Earth anyway. It's millions of square miles. So huge, I cannot even fathom that size of fire.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 12:38:42 am »

^Yes, that’s true.  It’s hard to fathom just how enormous California is for that matter.  Terrible thing. 

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2018, 04:10:41 pm »

It snowed in one of the hottest places in the world

It's quite a time for weird weather, and it doesn't get much weirder than snow falling in one of the hottest places in the world
On Sunday, Ain Sefra, a desert town in Algeria known as the "Gateway to the Sahara," experienced a substantial amount of snow for reportedly the third time in 40 years. Some reports say parts of the area got nearly 15 inches of snow, but Ain Sefra officially reported less than one inch http://edition.cnn.com/2018/01/09/africa/sahara-snow-trnd/index.html

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2018, 10:01:13 am »

Denmark plans double punishment for ghetto crime

The Danish government plans to double the penalties for crimes committed in deprived "ghetto" areas, where immigrant numbers are above-average.
It is part of a drive to have "no more ghettos by 2030", Prime Minister Lars Lokke Rasmussen said.
The government lists 22 areas as "ghettos", where more than 50% of residents are non-Western immigrants.
The plan would let local police chiefs impose double punishments for some crimes, such as vandalism or theft.
Justice Minister Soeren Pape Poulsen, who leads the Danish Conservative Party, explained the initiative to Danish DR news.
"If there has been more vandalism, violence, threats and so on, then the local police chief can say that this is now a harsh penalty zone, and the penalty will be doubled when you commit a crime there."
He denied that harsher penalties in one area could simply drive criminals into other areas.
"It has to be safe to live anywhere in Denmark," he stressed.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43214596

Danish Government: Double Punishments in 'Ghetto' Areas
COPENHAGEN, Denmark — Denmark's center-right government wants to double the punishment for crimes like vandalism and theft committed in areas with larger number of immigrants and higher unemployment, in an attempt to eliminate so-called "parallel societies" by 2030.

In December, the government presented its "ghetto" list, highlighting 22 places where the proportion of immigrants and their descendants is above 50 percent, unemployment is high and there are a high number of penal code convictions, among other things.

The three-party, minority government said Wednesday its already criticized plan would be formally presented Thursday.

No date for a final vote has been set. Denmark's largest party, the opposition Social Democrats, have said they back the plan, as do the anti-immigration and populist Danish People's Party, the country's second-largest party and a government ally
https://mobile.nytimes.com/aponline/2018/02/28/world/europe/ap-eu-denmark-crime.html

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2018, 07:37:06 pm »

Irish PM hails 'momentous day' and vows to overturn abortion ban by the end of the year after two thirds of the country vote to liberalise strict laws in historic referendum

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5774183/Irish-PM-hails-expected-landslide-vote-legalise-abortion-counting-begins.html#ixzz5GdORIWWw
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

HRH Tiana of NOLA
Duchess

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2018, 09:52:20 pm »

Way to go, Ireland!

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2018, 10:06:41 pm »

^ Indeed, very good news!  thumbsup
Some of the comments from the people who voted "no", wow blink
Fernanda Nunes
Baroness

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2018, 07:02:30 pm »

I am against abortion, fetus is a life, if you verify the suffering that causes a child in the mother's belly to be killed, it is immense, and unnecessary. It is better to have the child and if you can not care, there are many people, like me, capable of adopting and giving their lives for a child they call "son / daughter" hug
My God, pray for Brazil. We are getting like Venezuela, and maybe you do not know, but we do not have gasoline, airports are closed for not having diesel, supermarkets do not have food for sale and what they have is very cost.  Animals on farms  are starving or becoming cannibals, chickens, pigs and etc.
Just as an example, in my law office I always have new clients calling every week, this month I had none, no one with money. The government here stole a lot, and now the country is in a chaos that no one believes we would get to  worship
https://g1.globo.com/rj/rio-de-janeiro/noticia/preco-em-feiras-livres-disparam-movimentacao-diminui-e-vendedores-temem-a-continuidade-da-greve.ghtml
https://g1.globo.com/economia/ao-vivo/greve-de-caminhoneiros-maio-de-2018.ghtml

Motto for the year 2017: "Saying with a loud voice, Have fear of God and give him glory; because the hour of his judging is come; and give worship to him who made heaven and earth and the sea and the fountains of water." (AP 14:7).
http://icmaranata.pt/index.php - Portugal www.igrejacristamaranata.org.br, www.icm.org.br, http://radiomaanaim.com.br/v1/ - Brazil
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2018, 06:51:14 am »

sob
Little light
Countess

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2018, 10:36:54 pm »

Ivanka Trump

No, I'm not talking politics, but since she's involved in politics, this is where this thread belongs.

I'm loving these trousers. So classy compared to those awful jogging or skinny leg jeans. Urgh! I wish they were coming back. (I *despise* seeing fat people, of which I am one, wearing those awful ill fitting trousers, complete with muffin top!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5795811/Melania-decides-skip-Trumps-weekend-Camp-David-trip-22nd-day-without-public-appearance.html

HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2018, 01:15:19 am »

Ivanka is a pretty good and classy dresser, I like that outfit when I saw it too!
Btw Melania as well in her new role. Very classy and good dresser, the two might share a stylist or have good taste, I don't know, but mostly they knock it out of the park!
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2018, 10:39:53 pm »

Gynaecologist who caused a baby to be decapitated during botched birth is cleared to return to work

Dr Vaishnavy Laxman, 43, should have given the 30-year old patient an emergency Caesarean section as the premature infant was in a breech position
    But she instead attempted to carry out the delivery naturally and tragedy struck
    Child was already dead before he was decapitated during the bungled delivery
    Dr Laxman denied wrongdoing but was found culpable of medical failures

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5809063/Gynaecologist-caused-baby-decapitated-botched-birth-cleared-return-work.html

Found guilty of negligence, and yet is allowed to return to work?? Should have her licence revoked and never ever be allowed to work in the medical profession again. What woman will want to see her anyway?

Wild West London: Sixty moped attacks a day, a woman fights for life after mugging and drug crime on the rise as cops hunt for Michael McIntyre gang

Britain is in the grip of a crime wave as thugs run riot on mopeds and motorbikes
    In central London a moped gang stormed a luxury jewellers on Tuesday
    In Birmingham, thugs burst from stolen BMW and attacked a car with machetes
    Michael McIntyre was subject to a moped gang robbing him of his £15k watch

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5809657/Wild-West-London-Sixty-moped-attacks-day-drug-crime-rise.html

Just wtf is going on in London?? And Birmingham for that matter blink
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2018, 03:21:31 pm »

Wild West London: Astonishing moment masked thieves interrupt Australian TV presenter's Grenfell report to threaten her with a GUN and brazenly steal £15,000 camera seconds after she comes off air

Masked thieves stole £15,000 camera from Channel Seven in London as they filmed in Islington street
    Reporter Laurel Irving had just finished a live piece on hardest working Royals when the men approached
    She tried to grab camera back and was told thief 'had a gun' but defiantly told him to 'show her the weapon'
    Dramatic footage shows the moment she tried to stop the masked raiders only to realise the full danger
    Police are investigating and pictures and CCTV footage have been given to Metropolitan Police
    It comes as London's crime rate has soared with violent and knife incidents both up by more than 20%
    There are also sixty moped attacks per day in London and the capital has been described 'like the Wild West'
    Have you been a victim of violent street crime or seen an attack? Email martin.robinson@mailonline.co.uk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5810271/Masked-bike-thief-steals-TV-news-camera-Channel-Seven-London.html

Bat shyte crazy blink nervous
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2018, 01:07:32 am »

Guatemala volcano: Rescue operations underway amid unrelenting devastation
A catastrophic and deadly volcano eruption in Guatemala is affecting more than a million people. The "Volcan de Fuego," or "volcano of fire," exploded just before noon on Sunday. At least 25 people were confirmed dead as of early Monday morning, and authorities said an undetermined number were still missing, potentially trapped beneath thick ash.

The blast belched thick black smoke over an area extending all the way to the capital, Guatemala City, about 30 miles away. More than 3,000 people have been evacuated, and Guatemala's president called for a state of emergency to be declared on Sunday night.

Rescue operations resumed Monday morning after being suspended overnight due to the dangerous conditions. People living in villages near the volcano didn't have much time or warning to escape the lava flow, reports CBS News correspondent Don Dahler.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/guatemala-volcano-volcan-de-fuego-deadly-eruption-2018-6-4/

HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2018, 05:21:53 pm »

'Models are getting skinnier these days!' Viral clip of a fashion show in Saudi Arabia that saw clothes 'worn' by DRONES rather than women is mocked on social media

A fashion show in Saudi Arabia saw models replaced with drones on the runway
    Twitter users were left in hysterics over the bizarre clip shared online yesterday
    Saudi Arabia had its very first fashion week earlier this year

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5816199/Viral-clip-fashion-Saudi-Arabia-saw-clothes-modelled-DRONES.html

sly
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: