Royal Gossip
August 24, 2017, 12:11:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World News  (Read 1094 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 07:19:45 pm »

Trudeau steps in it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/world/americas/justin-trudeau-fidel-castro.html

AMERICAS

Justin Trudeau Criticized for Praising Fidel Castro as ‘Remarkable Leader’

“While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for ‘el Comandante,’” Mr. Trudeau continued. He added that Mr. Castro was “a legendary revolutionary and orator” whose death had brought him “deep sorrow.”

“I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away,” Mr. Trudeau said. (His father, Pierre Trudeau, served as prime minister for over 15 years.) “It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.”

Justin Trudeau’s affectionate comments were a radical departure from American reactions to Mr. Castro’s death — the White House diplomatically said it hoped for warmer relations with Cuba, while President-elect Donald J. Trump gleefully posted on Twitter, “Fidel Castro is dead!” — and his statement was quickly condemned by political observers in both the United States and Canada.

From Twitter, and my fave:

"While a controversial figure, John Wilkes Boothe will be remembered as a lover of the theatre" #trudeaueulogies

Five Worst Responses to Castro's Death:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/26/five-worst-responses-fidel-castro-death

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:29:34 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 10:22:21 pm »

Trudeau is an idiot - a cute idiot - but still an idiot
Vesper
Countess

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 10:43:48 pm »

He's not even that cute, Cate.   tehe
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 11:23:58 pm »

So they're finally admitting he's dead. Some people suspect that he died up to 10 years ago.  shifty  spy
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/30/13775200/2016-world-chess-championships-magnus-carlsen-sergey-karjakin

2016 World Chess Championships are heading into OT with a chance for ‘Armageddon’
Defending champion Magnus Carlsen aims to fend off a challenge from Russian Sergey Karjakin
by Roey Hadar  Nov 30, 2016, 9:00am EST

Defending World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen and Russian challenger Sergey Karjakin will play a set of tiebreaker games in New York on Wednesday to determine the winner of this year’s World Chess Championship. Carlsen and Karjakin came to a 6-6 draw on Monday after playing 12 games over an 18-day span.

Carlsen, the Norwegian defending champion and No. 1 seed, entered the championship as a heavy favorite, but Karjakin, the relatively unheralded No. 9 seed, has proven a worthy adversary. Karjakin even won one match despite playing on the black pieces, a situation generally regarded as disadvantageous.

The two players reached a draw in 10-of-12 matches, with each one winning only once. Now that they have played all of the allotted regulation games, the two will play games of rapid chess, also known as speed chess, to determine the winner.

Since championship chess plays with a clock, instead of giving the players almost three hours of time to use for their moves as in regulation, they will play four games with only 25 minutes of time each. The clock gains varying increments of time for every move the player makes, but if the player runs out of time, he loses.

If you want to watch the game live and don't mind spending $7USD to do so:

https://worldchess.com/nyc2016/

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:08 pm »

http://time.com/4603863/dylann-roof-verdict-guilty/

It took twelve jurors less than two hours to decide the fate of Dylann Roof, the avowed white supremacist who killed nine parishioners in a Charleston church in 2015. On Thursday, after an emotional seven-day federal trial, Roof was found guilty of all 33 charges of murder, attempted murder and federal *despise* crimes.

Roof faces either the death penalty or life imprisonment for his crimes.

Roof will be defending himself in the penalty phase in January.  If the court ruling is death, Roof can choose between lethal injection or electrocution in the State of South Carolina. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: