Royal Gossip
June 19, 2018, 12:01:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World News  (Read 2497 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 07:19:45 pm »

Trudeau steps in it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/world/americas/justin-trudeau-fidel-castro.html

AMERICAS

Justin Trudeau Criticized for Praising Fidel Castro as ‘Remarkable Leader’

“While a controversial figure, both Mr. Castro’s supporters and detractors recognized his tremendous dedication and love for the Cuban people who had a deep and lasting affection for ‘el Comandante,’” Mr. Trudeau continued. He added that Mr. Castro was “a legendary revolutionary and orator” whose death had brought him “deep sorrow.”

“I know my father was very proud to call him a friend and I had the opportunity to meet Fidel when my father passed away,” Mr. Trudeau said. (His father, Pierre Trudeau, served as prime minister for over 15 years.) “It was also a real honour to meet his three sons and his brother President Raúl Castro during my recent visit to Cuba.”

Justin Trudeau’s affectionate comments were a radical departure from American reactions to Mr. Castro’s death — the White House diplomatically said it hoped for warmer relations with Cuba, while President-elect Donald J. Trump gleefully posted on Twitter, “Fidel Castro is dead!” — and his statement was quickly condemned by political observers in both the United States and Canada.

From Twitter, and my fave:

"While a controversial figure, John Wilkes Boothe will be remembered as a lover of the theatre" #trudeaueulogies

Five Worst Responses to Castro's Death:

http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/26/five-worst-responses-fidel-castro-death

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:29:34 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 10:22:21 pm »

Trudeau is an idiot - a cute idiot - but still an idiot
Vesper
Countess

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2016, 10:43:48 pm »

He's not even that cute, Cate.   tehe
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2016, 11:23:58 pm »

So they're finally admitting he's dead. Some people suspect that he died up to 10 years ago.  shifty  spy
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 05:38:22 pm »

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/30/13775200/2016-world-chess-championships-magnus-carlsen-sergey-karjakin

2016 World Chess Championships are heading into OT with a chance for ‘Armageddon’
Defending champion Magnus Carlsen aims to fend off a challenge from Russian Sergey Karjakin
by Roey Hadar  Nov 30, 2016, 9:00am EST

Defending World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen and Russian challenger Sergey Karjakin will play a set of tiebreaker games in New York on Wednesday to determine the winner of this year’s World Chess Championship. Carlsen and Karjakin came to a 6-6 draw on Monday after playing 12 games over an 18-day span.

Carlsen, the Norwegian defending champion and No. 1 seed, entered the championship as a heavy favorite, but Karjakin, the relatively unheralded No. 9 seed, has proven a worthy adversary. Karjakin even won one match despite playing on the black pieces, a situation generally regarded as disadvantageous.

The two players reached a draw in 10-of-12 matches, with each one winning only once. Now that they have played all of the allotted regulation games, the two will play games of rapid chess, also known as speed chess, to determine the winner.

Since championship chess plays with a clock, instead of giving the players almost three hours of time to use for their moves as in regulation, they will play four games with only 25 minutes of time each. The clock gains varying increments of time for every move the player makes, but if the player runs out of time, he loses.

If you want to watch the game live and don't mind spending $7USD to do so:

https://worldchess.com/nyc2016/

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 10:29:08 pm »

http://time.com/4603863/dylann-roof-verdict-guilty/

It took twelve jurors less than two hours to decide the fate of Dylann Roof, the avowed white supremacist who killed nine parishioners in a Charleston church in 2015. On Thursday, after an emotional seven-day federal trial, Roof was found guilty of all 33 charges of murder, attempted murder and federal *despise* crimes.

Roof faces either the death penalty or life imprisonment for his crimes.

Roof will be defending himself in the penalty phase in January.  If the court ruling is death, Roof can choose between lethal injection or electrocution in the State of South Carolina. 

marion
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 07:08:21 pm »

Europe's a very unsettled place at the moment what with rioting in France and Merkel possibly facing a snap General Election.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/881505/France-turmoil-Macron-street-protests-mutiny-EU

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/881625/Germany-coalition-talks-EU-agenda-Brussels-Merkel-Jamaica-coalition
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:10:21 pm by marion » Logged
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 04:55:13 pm »

Bosnian war chief DIES after drinking bottle of POISON and yelling 'I'm not a war criminal' after his 20-year prison sentence for campaign against Muslims is upheld at The Hague

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5128353/UN-war-crimes-convict-claims-taken-poison-court.html#ixzz4zqBGWhIc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

War criminal dies after drinking poison as 20-year sentence upheld in court
THE HAGUE, Netherlands — A former Bosnian Croat military chief has died after swallowing what he said was poison seconds after a United Nations judge confirmed his 20-year sentence for involvement in crimes during the Bosnian war of the 1990s.

In a stunning end to the final case at the U.N.'s International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, Slobodan Praljak tilted back his head and took a gulp from a flask or glass as the judge read out the verdict.

"I just drank poison," he said. "I am not a war criminal. I oppose this conviction."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/war-crimes-hearing-halted-ex-bosnian-croat-general-drinks-poison-n824841
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 05:00:28 pm by Fly on the wall » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
marion
Duchess

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 06:06:53 pm »

Good riddance to a hateful tyrant
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 08:54:22 pm »

North Korea Claims New Missile Makes It A Nuclear Power
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/29/567223748/north-korea-claims-new-missile-makes-it-a-nuclear-power

You know, the world just got more dangerous.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 10:08:17 pm »

Man with Swedish Academy ties accused of sexual assault

18 women accuse a central figure in the Swedish cultural sphere of sexual assault and harassment. He is artistic director of a literary club in central Stockholm, and has close ties to the Swedish Academy, which every year choses the laureate for the Nobel Prize in literature.

Several of the described incidents have happened in flats belonging to the Swedish Academy.

The Nobel foundation’s executive director Lars Heikenstein also says that the artistic director will not be attending this year's Nobel Prize banquet after the allegations.

On Thursday the Swedish Academy decided to cut all ties to the artistic director, and revealed that relatives of their members had also been subjected to ”undesired intimacy and improper treatment” by im.

[...]

https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/man-with-swedish-academy-ties-accused-of-sexual-assault/

Many threats from people to boycott the Nobel's this year or even cancel altogether.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 03:25:31 am »

IS it just me or is the entire world unraveling?

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 03:34:48 am »

^Nah.  We just know more things now in a faster and larger sense.  The world has always been a place of turmoil and beauty.   But, then, I am an eternally hopeful person.  I have great faith in people's basic humanity in the end.  All I have to do is look at how we come together in a crisis.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:22 am »

We truly do live in changing times; I am shocked at all the developments and at how the world has shifted so drastically.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 07:27:55 pm »

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/western-wildfires/southern-california-wildfires-spread-putting-thousands-under-mandatory-evacuation-n826946

Los Angeles threatened as wildfires spread, forcing thousands to evacuate
by KALHAN ROSENBLATT and CORKY SIEMASZKO

The hills north of Los Angeles were burning Wednesday as the wildfires that have already devoured a large swath of Ventura County were now threatening the nation's second-largest city.

With several multimillion-dollar mansions in the tony Bel-Air neighborhood already ablaze and flames threatening the Getty Center arts complex and its priceless collection, officials closed down part of Interstate 405 — a key north-south artery. All the while, firefighters rushed to contain the blaze.

Santa Anas are kicking up again tonight.  Thought this had died down a bit.

For those w/FB, a closeup of what these fires are like on the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/barstoolsports/videos/10156076486147502/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:37:54 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

Akasha 85
courtier

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 10:10:03 pm »

If I were a devout believer i'd say looks pretty apocalyptic! 'and He rained fire and brimstone down on earth ' sorta stuff! blink

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

“To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.”
― William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

“Four things you can't recover:
The stone after the throw, The word after it's said, The occasion after it's missed, The time after it's gone.”
― Deanna Wadsworth
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 10:59:21 pm »

^Having been through the Oct 2003 (or 04?), yes, it is a “no atheists in foxholes” experience.  Plus, you can’t breathe very well.

Little light
Countess

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 12:42:38 am »

What happened at that date YM please?

Was it significant?

Thanks
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 12:52:00 am »

^There were 12+ fires in San Diego that made it to within a few miles of the beach.  The Cedar Fires. Just devastating.  I was in an area called La Jolla which is a beach community and there were evacs, everyone wore masks and my home was completely covered inside with an inch of ash.  That was if you were lucky.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Fire_(2003)

Akasha 85
courtier

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 01:41:11 am »

You never told me about that!  blink
Was your mum already living with you there at that time?
It must have been hard to evac with an 80+ yo lady!
Well at least afterwards you didn't have to clean out the whole villa like the one around the corner (was it Cambell or Shiffers place, can't remember? dontknow)
Your cottage must have taken what; a day or so to get ash free?
I image that place took more then a week to get spik an span for Mrs campbell and her 12 bedrooms!  tehe

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

“To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.”
― William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

“Four things you can't recover:
The stone after the throw, The word after it's said, The occasion after it's missed, The time after it's gone.”
― Deanna Wadsworth
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: