Royal Gossip
September 20, 2017, 12:09:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World News  (Read 1120 times)
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« on: July 16, 2016, 12:35:30 am »

This thread is just as an attempt on my part to try and consolidate world news with all of the disparate and wide-ranging horror that are going on.  We'll see how it goes but for now, please post anything of world news information that is NOT:  US news, UK news, or verified ISIS news.  Let's see how it goes.  (I'll look into perhaps merging some threads after some review - not now) Thanks!!!  YM

http://gawker.com/looks-like-turkey-is-having-a-coup-1783754768

Turkish President Seeks Asylum Amidst Military Coup

Turkey’s Prime Minister Binali Yildirim confirmed Friday that a faction of the military launched an attempted coup amidst reports of low-flying jets, tanks, and blocked bridges. The military, for its part, claimed in a statement that the government has been overthrown.

Reports of an unusual military presence began filtering in around 3:45 p.m. The government has since reportedly blocked access to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

Throughout, the country’s state TV channel blithely broadcasted weather reports, though a photo circulated by a BuzzFeed reporter appears to show soldiers inside the channel’s offices. By 4:30 the channel appeared to be completely offline.

Updating...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 05:58:08 am by YooperModerator » Logged

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:56:50 am »

It isn't clear if there is a winner, yet. . . . .
Akasha 85
courtier

Aren't we a cuty queen.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 01:02:13 am »

twitter is exploding on this one! no pun intended..

Turkey - attempted military coup
France - terror attack
USA - racial unrest
UK - Brexit
These world events are quite #unsettling]

frank corona ‏@fcorona593  9 min.9 minuten geleden Vertaling bekijken
Turkey military coup: tanks open fire near parliament building – live updates

Robert Craig ‏@RC5251  11 min.11 minuten geleden Vertaling bekijken
Standoff Between The Coup Military & Pro Erdogan Civilians? Tense Stuff Unfolding In Turkey. Army Needs The People.

Matt ‏@My_Struggle88  12 min.12 minuten geleden Vertaling bekijken
@KEEMSTAR Some are saying the coup d'etat was repelled and it's over and some are saying a bomb was just dropped on parliament.

Some say it's over, other say it isn't! propaganda vs propaganda, I guess we'll see who's standing when the sun comes up...
It's so chaotic there's lot's of ppl in the street, but are they supporting the coup, erdogan or are they just thrill seekers who wanna watch the riot? nobody knows!
I hope they don't start shooting at the crowds, mass panic can turn very ugly very fast!

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

“To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.”
― William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

“Four things you can't recover:
The stone after the throw, The word after it's said, The occasion after it's missed, The time after it's gone.”
― Deanna Wadsworth
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 05:07:57 am »

according to the press they supported Erdogan.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 05:54:41 am »

It is impossible, for me anyway, to make heads or tails out of this 'coup'.   Who are the good/bad guys in this?  I have heard so much conflicting points of view that nobody seems to know diddly except that, on the surface, it makes the gov look like a theocracy and the coup people wanting a democracy but that ain't necessarily so.  What a mess!!!

Any Turkey experts here?

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 01:35:29 pm »

it's a shame that the coup didn't succeed. i'll try to explain the situation in Turkey in simple words. before Erdogan Turkey was a friendly country to non-believers. but Erdogan came to power with only half of the country believing in him - the idiots on the streets yesterday. and now - there is religious schools again... guess what's the religion. the women should "shut their mouths" because Erdogan said so. so, he is not good news for Europe.

historically, the caliphate was in the Ottoman empire. the caliph is the highest religious and prestigious title there is in the islamic world. kind of like the Pope for us. the successor of the Ottoman empire is Turkey. Kemal Attaturk (attaturk in turkish means "father of the turks") in attempt to preserve the country created a new identity for the ottomans (who were a mixture of all the nations they had under their rule): he called the real, the original ottomans - turks, and therefore the country: Turkey.

to show that this is a different country, with better views, he overturned the Sultan, and abolished the caliphate, as thus - their supremacy over all islamic states. Since then - Turkey has been a conservative country, but progressively democratic. Now - here comes the problem.

ALL arabic and islamic states have in their name: Islamic state of ... or Islamic arabic state of ..... Only turkey has: Republic of Turkey. With a religiously fanatic Erdogan in power for over a decade now the beautiful secular, democratic country, progressive in more than one ways, is becoming islamic state again. (he changed the institution of presidency into a dictatorship and as you can hear him today: everyone who participated in the riot will be punished for treason ... treason to whom? to the country or to his maniacal highness the president).  

So, ISIS terrorists are in a fight to restore their dream of a caliphate, but Turkey - which is going down the islamization route, is a thread to the free world. mark my words - soon his mania for grandour will get him to restore the "caliphat" in Turkey. That's why they are against the ISIS. because ISIS claims to have established something which Erdogan is claiming as his own.

in one word - it is a bad thing that he stays. last time there was a coup - the army demanded to abolish religious schools (and we all know what that means ... brainwashing, 70 virgins in heaven, kill the non-believers, women are worthless objects ... ). Then Erdogan came, changed the constitution to gain more power and returned islamic brainwashing back to school  sauer sauer Angry

And now we can only dream of another coup, because next time the elections will be doctored.
....and the stupid idiots on the streets yesterday. already brainwashed. they are the ones who stopped the riot... to help their populist dictator, secretly practicing in front of the mirror to be a caliph ... chosen "fairly" of course..
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:41:16 pm by Ariel » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 02:26:24 pm »

^ thankyou That's super helpful.  Having another nutcase doesn't seem helpful these days.   I know that I didn't like reading, this morning, that there were going to be "reprisals" by Erdogan's gov. 

"Latest" (it's very hard to get a real handle on accurate news here in the States - for me anyway)

(CNN)After a night of explosions, gunfire and tanks rolling along the streets of Istanbul and Ankara, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan told Turkey Saturday that an attempted military coup was over and the government was in charge.

Here is what we know so far:

At least 161 people died and another 1,440 people were injured across the country.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said at a press conference Saturday the situation was under control

A total of 2,839 military officers have been detained, a source in the President's office said.
Here is the latest.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/world/live-blog-turkey/index.html

Akasha 85
courtier

Aren't we a cuty queen.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 02:48:00 pm »

One of Ataturk's most famous quotes

“He is a weak ruler who needs religion to uphold his government; it is as if he would catch his people in a trap.”
― Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

Perhaps Erdogan should reread his history books again! not a fan of him that's for sure! Lips Sealed

One thing I found hilarious in this whole coup thing is the irony that the man who banned ppl from grouping into the streets 3y ago and restricted social media had to use facetime to call his ppl out onto the streets to protest the military.
The fact that he did that knowing they could have ended as cannon fodder or a human shield is deplorable and I'm glad it didn't turn into a second How Che Ming square!  bignono

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
― Stuart Chase

“To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.”
― William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

“Four things you can't recover:
The stone after the throw, The word after it's said, The occasion after it's missed, The time after it's gone.”
― Deanna Wadsworth
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 02:56:07 pm »

unfortunately they didn't succeed to overthrow the dictator. really unfortunate. the 2300 military will now be killed - one way or another.
Erdogan has had people disappear for years. now not only there is media blackout but he sent text message to all people in the country telling them to show him who is FOR the coup so that he goes and prosecutes them.

...and when it comes to persecution, or a witchhunt:

Turkish authorities have removed 2,745 judges from duty following the coup attempt, broadcaster NTV reported, citing a decision by the High Council of Judges and Prosectors (HSYK).
Five members of HSYK, Turkey’s highest judiciary board, were also removed, state-run Anadolu agency reported.

i think that he'll just keep killing people untill the 50-50 for and against him turn into 70-30 or 90-10
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 02:58:18 pm by Ariel » Logged
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 03:25:51 pm »

sorry for the double post.
just look at the DM article. the "heroic" defenders of Erdogan were beating to death the soldiers - young men, honorable me who surrendered so that they do not open fire against civilians. and those civilians were throwing stones at them, beating them. there is even one who was taking trophy pictures of one soldier which they killed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3693268/Defiant-masses-fight-Stunning-scenes-brave-citizens-rise-against-attempted-military-coup-dragging-cowering-soldiers-tanks-beating-streets.html

@Yooper - I don't want to be a bearer of bad news but Erdogan's defendants resort to violence pretty easily. Just like Trump's supporters.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/07/22/shots-fired-at-shopping-center-in-munich-reports-say.html

Many feared dead after shooting spree at Munich shopping center, German news agency reports
Published July 22, 2016

Police in Munich reportedly said they expect "multiple dead" after a shooting spree inside a city shopping center, prompting a massive police response and an intense manhunt for possible suspects.

There were no official reports of injuries at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall but Germany's dpa news agency reported that police are saying "we expect multiple dead."

The report said the attack started at a fast food restaurant in the mall, shortly before 6 p.m., according to Munich police spokesman Thomas Baumann. He was quoted as saying that police didn't know whether they were dealing with one or more shooters.

The mall is located in the northern part of Munich is not far from the city's Olympic Stadium in the Moosach district of the Bavarian capital.

"Many shots were fired, I can't say how many but it's been alot," an employee at the mall told NTV, according to Reuters. "All the people from outside came streaming into the storeand I only saw one person on the ground who was so severelyinjured that he definitely didn't survive."

Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 01:35:35 pm »

there is a video of a german man who is verbally assaulting the young man before he started shooting.
also the DM says that this kid was mobbed and bullied for 5 years in high school. no wonder he became a loner and so hateful of the germans.
if you treat people like dogs, they will end up defending themselves not in a pleasant way. sorry, but this is all on them.

leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 03:55:49 am »

A lot of people are bullied and/or mistreated... still no excuse to shoot anyone.  thumbsdown

Bullies have been around forever, but only in recent times have there been these shootings. I think young people aren't taught coping skills anymore?
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 04:08:00 am »

Bullies used to be put in their place by teachers and punished by parents. It's not like that anymore. It's almost pathological.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 04:58:13 am »

Well, teachers aren't allowed to punish students anymore. A lot of preschools either don't allow timeouts or send kids to the library when they're naughty. And parents punishing their children is "child abuse." No spanking. No sending kid to bed without supper (even though they've had plenty to eat that day so they're not starving... they just don't want to eat what their parents made for dinner).

But there used to be fights after school, in some ways much more violent but still no shootings. Teachers used to discourage tattling but now everything is "bullying" and kids are encouraged to rat each other out.
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 08:20:30 am »

it's in the culture of the arabian muslims to shoot someone they don't like (their stupid sharia law). same with some african countries but they don't have Turkey to transport them to the borders of Europe.

for all of this I blame Merkel. it's not just about accepting them. the governments also need to set the record straight. instead of giving whoever claims they needassilumn free money, the govs should get them to work, get them to comprehend that in Europe we have distinction between natives vs non-natives and non-natives, unless they study in our universities and unless the non-natives are extra docile and humble, and working their way through life, - they will not be accepted.

someone - and I mean -the governments should be teaching them resilience. and they should be making them check in with government officials once a week, and to go to therapy groups for adjustment to the new reality.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:23:06 am by Ariel » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 10:12:30 pm »

Teaching them anything is basically babysitting them. I dislike how we're supposed to civilize these loonies.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 05:21:33 pm »

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mosul-offensive-highlights-risk-of-fighters-fleeing-to-europe-1476727809

BRUSSELS—European counterterrorism officials have been warning for weeks about the risk of an influx of foreign fighters following the campaign to recapture Mosul, but Turkish officials said their military advance into Syria has cut off the easiest route to Europe.

Counterterrorism officials said Monday they remain watchful and it is too soon to tell exactly what the impact of Iraq’s Mosul offensive will be. But U.S. and European officials said they have not changed their assessment that as Islamic State loses territory, young men who traveled from Europe to fight with the group will seek to return.

“The Mosul attack may inspire radical people to act or eventually return more fighters to Europe,” said a U.S. official.

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/26/world/americas/fidel-castro-dies.html?_r=0

Fidel Castro, the fiery apostle of revolution who brought the Cold War to the Western Hemisphere in 1959 and then defied the United States for nearly half a century as Cuba’s maximum leader, bedeviling 11 American presidents and briefly pushing the world to the brink of nuclear war, died Friday. He was 90.

In declining health for several years, Mr. Castro had orchestrated what he hoped would be the continuation of his Communist revolution, stepping aside in 2006 when he was felled by a serious illness. He provisionally ceded much of his power to his younger brother Raúl, now 85, and two years later formally resigned as president. Raúl Castro, who had fought alongside Fidel Castro from the earliest days of the insurrection and remained minister of defense and his brother’s closest confidant, has ruled Cuba since then, although he has told the Cuban people he intends to resign in 2018.

Fidel Castro had held on to power longer than any other living national leader except Queen Elizabeth II. He became a towering international figure whose importance in the 20th century far exceeded what might have been expected from the head of state of a Caribbean island nation of 11 million people.

Cuba declares 9 days of mourning for Fidel Castro.

This is quite the ending of an era.  I wonder what the future of Cuba will be after his brother steps down (as he's said he will do) in 2018.

Sophie
courtier

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 02:41:37 pm »

And as the US inaugurates a new president.  Trump has said he will cut diplomatic ties.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: