Royal Gossip
July 23, 2017, 03:36:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emperor of Japan plans to abdicate in the coming years  (Read 326 times)
beline
courtier

« on: July 13, 2016, 11:51:58 am »

Emperor Akihito reveals he plans to abdicate in the coming years and his family has accepted his decision.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-13/japan-emperor-expresses-wish-to-abdicate-at-some-point-nhk-says

The Emperor is 82 and has reigned for 28 years.
HRHOlya
Countess

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:14:33 pm »

Parliament has approved of a one time bill/ law, which allows the current emperor to abdicate.

Princess Mako's impending engagement though has refreshed a discussion on allowing female heirs, or at least their sons, to remain in the line of succession, as the imperial family is dwindling to a dozen members and less than a handful heirs.

This is a discussion for another thread, but ridiculous how the law they passed after wwii to allow men only on the throne has diminished the number of family members so much and the threat of extinction. On top of that female empresses have sat on Japan's throne and were quite successful. And don't get me started on the fact that matrilineal and matriarchal societies exist and are thriving, most leaning on the logical argument that anyone can be a child's father, but not everyone the mother. Cuckoo children were quite common in the past when women were desperate to have an heir but nothing was happeing (and then the belief that only women could ever be infertile, but never men.....). In Japan a female that gets engaged is no longer part of the imperial family! Bonkers. They have literally dug their own extinction grave and conservatives in Japan are still not budging, even though there is only one child currently eligible for the throne, and if that child doesn't have sons in the future that's it. The only shame is that they are the oldest "royal" family in the world and they are soon goners.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 01:16:38 pm by HRHOlya » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:04 pm »

I believe it reflects japanese society. I am not sure they want a female empress in tbe same way western society is interested. If Akihito does not have male children then they will have to rethink it but if not nothing will change.

And I think Mako will be more happy if she is not empress than she is.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HRHOlya
Countess

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:10:13 pm »

^ That's true, Japanese court life is very hard and she is lucky to get away. At this point, and because the discussion is fresh and there's a need, it seems that there's an 86% approval rate by the people for empresses/ female heirs. Japan is indeed steeped deeply into tradition, but used to have empresses and women didn't have to officially leave the family in the past, which makes it all the more ridiculous today.

Here's a write-up on the situation, a good article

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/world/asia/japan-princess-mako-marry.html?_r=0
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 02:30:39 pm »

I believe it reflects japanese society. I am not sure they want a female empress in tbe same
way western society is interested. If Akihito does not have male children then they will have
to rethink it but if not nothing will change. And I think Mako will be more happy if she is not
empress than she is.

If Japan wants a male only system, that is their right; I dislike how a lot of people think that the Japanese should just change everything and all for the sake of being just like every other nation. I am certain that it's not killing anyone or imposing tyranny and honestly, the custom is refreshing.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: