Royal Gossip
September 24, 2017, 05:52:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Divorce Among Royalty  (Read 2753 times)
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« on: June 14, 2016, 02:33:27 am »

I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss, royals who have divorced and the issue of settlements, alimony, and titles.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:26:58 am »

I haven't any knowledge about it and I would like to get some. So it seems to be very interesting. Where should we start from? I mean the age. 

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:36:43 am »

Princess Alexandra of Denmark:

*Managed to keep her princess title and HRH, until she remarried
*Managed to get a generous pension
*Managed to keep a huge house/mansion

I just disagree with all that since if you leave, you shouldn't be able to keep a title and second, that is taxpayer money that she was drawing on. I don't like the idea of an entire parade of endless ex-wives supported in style by the taxpayer.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:47:12 am »

It occurs to me: Sarah, the Duchess of York. Does she has the title? Why does she live in RF? Does Andrew keep support her from taxpayer's money?

Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 01:58:14 pm »

It occurs to me: Sarah, the Duchess of York. Does she has the title? Why does she live in RF? Does Andrew keep support her from taxpayer's money?

^ Sarah has the title Duchess of York because in Britain all divorced women customarily keep their exes name until they themseves remarry. Sarah lives partly at Royal Lodge and partly in the ski chalet both of them bought together in Switzerland. She shares Andrew's home in England at Royal Lodge because he invited her to move there when she was broke. (Andrew himself doesn't get taxpayers funds unless he performs a Royal engagement and he doesn't support Fergie except by offering her accommodation.) She supports herself, originally through her divorce settlement, then later by her various, hmm, business deals like Weight Watchers, flogging stuff on US shopping channels, and her other enterprises.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 10:15:12 pm »

Duchess of York is a title, not a surname; if anything her last name should be Ms. Sarah Windsor and that should be it. HM made a huge mistake when she allowed Fergie to keep her title and frankly I would have stripped her of it. I dislike how Alexandra (Denmark) was granted a title of Countess in addition to keeping her title of princess (plus tiara/orders/precedence) and showing up at state banquets. This idea of an ex-wife being given so much is absurd. A small pension of alimony and comfortable home, plus the promise of connections to build a career on should be enough.

Chances are yes, Fergie is supported by the taxpayer. By living with her husband she's staying on royal grounds enjoying the fact that taxpayers pay to support that estate. Andrew has nothing in his own right and frankly has no business supporting his ex-wife like this and he needs to move on. I dislike how Fergie has made such a mess of her life that it's prevented Andrew and his daughters from finding spouses and in Andrew's case, having more and more heirs and a family life. Earl Spencer didn't let his exes shack up at Althorp and frankly has moved on and had more kids.

meememe
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 07:20:11 am »

Sarah and Diana - like all other divorced wives of peers of the realm were/are able to continue to use their titles as a 'surname' with their first name as well so they both went from HRH The Princess of Wales and HRH The Duchess of York to Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York.

They both lost their royal status as HM stripped them of that status that came with their marriages but she couldn't change the common law right of a wife to keep using their titles without asking Parliament to strip all ex-wives of that right e.g. Mrs John Smith on divorce becomes Mrs Jane Smith. This is no different.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 08:14:04 am »

Royals are not like everyone else, they are different. I am tired of this 'normal person' scenario playing itself out. Royals, their actions, affect their countries. You marry in, you get the title, you walk out, you go back to your old social position. Tough luck if you don't get a title as a calling card.

Fergie has shown that the exes do often exploit their titles and frankly if she had been named "Ms. Sarah Windsor" she would in fact be neutralized. It was because of her title that she's gotten bribes and been invited to jet set gatherings and basically live off of her ex-husband's generosity.

I say this because allowing a title to be kept prevents the husband from being able to move on and enables the wife to hold on to past glory. I think that if Fergie and Diana had been in fact been told they would be called "Ms. Sarah/Diana Windsor" then it would be a lot different. Easier to move on.

It's not right that an ex-consort be allowed to carry on a title that is no longer hers and I do hope that the Windsors learn from Fergie's antics and if a divorce between Kate and William occurs, that Kate is reduced to "Ms. Catherine Windsor" and moved out of the palaces. No fat settlement either.

It's really to me, that if Charles wants to trim the BRF, he should first put an end to Fergie's exploitation of her position and strip her of her Duchess of York title and then start making it clear that ex-consorts will not be titled or get housing on the grounds of the palaces or estates.

I also dislike the idea of royal exes being allowed housing on the estates. I mean, why should royal men be stuck with an ex-wife on the grounds of his home turf, which can prevent the man in question from bringing dates or potential spouses around to show to their kids and Sovereign.

I mean really, how on holy mother earth is it right that Fergie live with Andrew and continue to be a presence in his life for so long, preventing him from having ladies over and basically find a new wife and have new kids. Creepy as heck and frankly really controlling of Fergie.

rainbow
courtier

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 11:27:48 pm »

I think fergie really knows where all the bodies are buried. Better for her to be in the tent a bit rather than outside pissing in.  Andrew and fergie are co dependent. It wouldn't surprise me if their marriage was an open one, it was the front page coverage that did for her.
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 09:02:59 am »

I think it's strange that Fergie lives with Andrew after divorce.

cate1949
Princess

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 11:04:32 pm »

Royal Windsor Lodge is not supported by the taxpayer- Andy spent millions renovating the place and pays a rent.

Royals are like everyone else in that the law still applies to them - no one could legally strip either Fergie or Di of their legal right to use the "Diana, Princess of Wales" or "Sarah, Duchess of York" without changing the law which would also have meant that a divorced woman could no longer use her ex husbands surname.  Imagine the protest that would have caused.

Windsor Lodge is huge - a veritable castle.  I feel confident given its size that Fergie has her own space and that Andy could bring his lady friends there without bumping into Fergie.  The whole idea was that the girls would have both their parents around.  I think Andy wants Fergie around - if he didn't she would not be there.  It is pretty weird but those two had a pretty weird marriage too.

And even though Di was still at KP - Charlie had no trouble moving on !!

here it is:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/150729918750097363/http://

I agree exorbitant alimony payouts are wrong - but Fergie did not get that much - something like 3 mil - and part of that had to go into the girl's trust funds.

Alexandra was treated very well - but I suspect the Danes learned something from the D and C divorce and she was pretty popular if I recall correctly.  And wasn't there a suspicion that her hubby had not always spent his evenings at home?
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 11:37:33 pm »

^ Alexandra of Denmark had a spark of spontaneity and fun along with a dignified manner that Danes did indeed respond to, judging by the news reports. Of course this was before Frederik's marriage to Mary and apparently it's all soured a little now the two sons are growing up, mutterings about the allowance (appanage) still being paid to her, and of course her second marriage has broken up too. Still, she was very much loved in her day. There were rumours about Joachim (and Fred) in nightclubs, enjoying life a little too well and that probably paid its part. A moved on remarkably quickly though.

Fergie didn't ask for much, just famously told the Queen the only thing she wanted to retain was her friendship. Typical Sarah, warm hearted but completely feckless. The Royal Family lawyers took her at her word, though. I don't think that sort of divorce will ever occur in the annals of the BRF again!
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 05:14:16 am »

Thing is, Fergie went on to make millions and interestingly, because of her commercial activities, the palace decided that it was going to be unsuitable if Diana did the same and so basically Diana had to sign an agreement promising never to engage in commercial activities.

Royal Windsor Lodge is not supported by the taxpayer- Andy spent millions renovating the place and pays a rent.

Royals are like everyone else in that the law still applies to them - no one could legally strip either Fergie or Di of their legal right to use the "Diana, Princess of Wales" or "Sarah, Duchess of York" without changing the law which would also have meant that a divorced woman could no longer use her ex husbands surname.  Imagine the protest that would have caused.

Windsor Lodge is huge - a veritable castle.  I feel confident given its size that Fergie has her own space and that Andy could bring his lady friends there without bumping into Fergie.  The whole idea was that the girls would have both their parents around.  I think Andy wants Fergie around - if he didn't she would not be there.  It is pretty weird but those two had a pretty weird marriage too.

This is why Andrew will never move on, not that Fergie wants him to. I think anyone he dates or even wants to marry would require that Fergie be thrown out of the Lodge and I don't think that is something that he's prepared to do. To me it's just a wring dynamic.

kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 10:16:52 am »

I think anyone he dates or even wants to marry would require that Fergie be thrown out of the Lodge and I don't think that is something that he's prepared to do.

^ That's the point.  It will be a really interesting situation, I think.

HRH Tiana of NOLA
Countess

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 02:52:40 pm »

^I don't think Andy has any intention on marrying anyone but Fergie. Right now, he can have his cake and eat it, too. Fergie gets to be a kept woman with all the perks of royalty without the obligations. Neither one of them are concerned about upsetting their little universe.

"You just keep your eyes at one of of the biggest gaudiest floats with a Mardi Gras princess about to kissed herself a... a frog." - Princess Tiana
kolkomilko
Duchess

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 07:56:50 am »

^ Who knows what Andy wants. If I were him I wouldn't marry her again. In my opinion this situation is because of their daughters.

Val
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 08:37:35 am »

It is alleged by those close that she is the keeper of his ghastly secrets and any marriage or continued friendship is a trade off.  This is in addition to the daughters' situation and presenting a united front for them.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 11:33:01 am »

Kinda off topic here.  This is not Fergie's thread.  Thanks - YM

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 06:52:39 pm »

I don't think ex-spouses should get pensions from the taxpayer and they should not get vast estates and palaces. Prenups should be the requirement before any engagement announcement and frankly even courtesy titles should be forbidden. You leave with what you bring and not much else. Exes shouldn't be allowed to make money off of the connection. It's not 'nice,' but exploitation via association has to end.

Little light
Baroness

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 10:27:06 pm »

Absolutely KF. It needs to be addressed. That's why the Wales' boys were/are involved with some people who wish to profit by association with them. Whether they be friends or partners.

And not just them either. I'm thinking Princess Beatrice's ex too. That way, they might filter out the 'gold diggers' etc.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: