Royal Gossip
May 27, 2017, 09:10:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Footwear  (Read 3824 times)
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« on: February 24, 2016, 05:27:59 pm »

I would be delighted if Victoria Beckham move the fashionistas from high high heels to flats.  Flats and kitten heels can be quite stylish and are so much safer and healthier.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3462334/Victoria-Beckham-makes-shocking-revelation-favours-flat-shoes-towering-stilettos.html

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:46:18 pm »

ick It is not halloween Miss H!

I love my nikes (thanks yooper!) But I still think heels are more elegant and that we use too much sportswear. And I *despise* kitten heels they are really uncomfortable.

I nearly always wear flats but with a bit of heel as without it they are also uncomfortable.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 08:00:45 pm »

^'So glad you're liking the comfort of Nike, Alex.  Their engineering right now is tops.  Yay!

For me, anything over 2.5" in a heel is a no-no.  The high high heels are extremely damaging, in the long-term, to foot issues as well as lower back problems.  I'm kind of loving the new squarish heel and it provides a lot of support and looks nice with slacks or a dress.  Not as clunky as I thought they'd look.  Flats with about a 1-inch are my go to work horses, tho.  I stand for long long periods of time, tho.

Whenever I do a really big special fundraising event that requires evening dress, it is now standard to provide, in the goodie bag, a pair of elastic sleep flats for women to wear to the car because 1. People drink and fall down, and 2. They're in pain.  Call me crazy, but that's ridiculous.  The smart, elegant women always wear a two inch heel and stop there.  Slightly tapered, not kitten-y (although I do love kitten heels with capri pants for dress up cocktail hour - very California).

What I really don't like about the high high 4"+ heels is that it makes women walk like horses and are not very elegant, really.  So, I have to agree ^^.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Miss Hathaway
Countess

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:20:39 pm »

Heels should never be higher than this, in my opinion:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sT0p4aztwus/UawD1EqteWI/AAAAAAAABLk/dl3iPJrJLVY/s1600/Collage3.jpg

The problem is, it is hard to find nice shoes that height these days.

I do love a nice casual flat, though:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.stylelist.com/media/2013/07/princess-diana-styletrans-070113-13-1372710105.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/18/article-2465697-187EEA3D00000578-890_470x706.jpg

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/prince-charles-with-his-arm-around-his-wife-princess-diana-as-they-picture-id52113952

I hope the fashion changes quickly.  I needed a nice pair of heels for a wedding last fall, and it was impossible!!

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:58 pm »

^That top pic with the heel height is as high as I will ever go.  They're still out there but it does take some hunting.  I suggest gilt.com when they have a sale because when they do (and so does ruelala.com) they have the sale by heel height.  Super helpful.  Nordstrom is fabulous, too.  Good luck!

It's funny because I just got angry the other night watching the (thank God) last season of American Idol and one of the contestants was walking in/out with a super high heel and making her gait so clompy that she started to take her shoes off and JLo screamed "Never take your heels off.  Never!!!  I don't care how much they hurt!!"  And I thought, what the heck?  You're going to promote ill-health and discomfort and bad back alignment and awkward ungraceful strides just because of a high heel shoe?  I gotta send an email on that one to the AI folks because it really is bad health advice but it's a reality now. 

I had a doctor once say to me, "I've advised against panty hose, high heels and jogging but nobody listens so I'll just watch my colleagues collect $ for knee and hip replacements."   And, he's right.  Luckily, panty hose are gone.  They're gone, right?

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 03:18:52 pm »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/london-fashion-week/victoria-beckham-on-her-new-grown-up-style-i-just-cant-do-heels/

VB – brand and woman – have loosened up, in every sense. For instance, flats are now part of her uniform. Today it’s a take on Nurse Ratchett white leather loafers. “I just can’t do heels any more. At least not when I’m working,” she says. “I travel a lot.” True. She’s just returned from half term with the children in LA after the New York show, and is off to Hong Kong for the opening of her second store there in three weeks. “Clothes have to be simple and comfortable.”

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 12:05:08 am »

To heels make nearly every outfit better. Though these last year the trend was ridiculous with those high heels and with big platforms.

I also go for comfort and if I'm wearing high heels but can't keep I change to flats and if not possible I prefer to take them out. Maybe is not the most glamorous but I prefer to enjoy the party than remain sitting.  tehe

For me this kind of heel is the most elegant and I also have to mention that I love those shoes  flirt.

Panty hose are a no? So what do you wear under dresses in spring/autumn?  huh

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 06:28:16 am »

^That heel height is out of my league and comfort zone and I walk very badly in them.  Some do much better than I, tho!

Panty hose?  I don't remember the last time I wore them.  Maybe 20 years ago?  In spring, it's bare legs and, if need be, rain boots.  In autumn, tights and boots, boots, boots.  Easy.  'Depends upon where you live, I suppose.  Kate Middleton's hose are a constant giggle over here and I know it's an ordered thing for her but it does look old fashioned.  And panty hose, in the States pretty broadly, have been thumbs downed by the AMA so, for health reasons, women just said goodbye to them.  Flats, really nice slip ons with invisible socks is mostly what I see.

Women tend to spend more money on structured clothes where I work.  That translates to very well-tailored blazers and slacks with flats.  Standard issue but jazzed up with scarves or handbags/jewelry.  Just the right amount.  In California, it's knits and flats, dressy sandals, occasionally the platformed heel shows up but it's really frowned upon now, and that goes double for the nude heel.  O.U.T.

livylivy
Countess

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 10:28:39 pm »

loveshower I love heels and manolo BFF2
In my opinion 12 cm heel is too high though. I m pretty short ( 5.3) so I wear heels but 7 cm ones, sometimes, especially for night outfits I wear 10 cm heels.
I don' t like trainers honestly. I have one pair but I use them to go to the supermarket and to walk my chinchilla because they run extremely fast
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 10:47:27 pm »

12 cm are too high unless they have platforms and then they are not as elegant. I love that image of you running after your chinchillas!  tehe

Funnily I've bought a couple of heels this weekend to wear going out and at work. They are the best type of heels, not too high and big. They even have straps to the ankles.

Though I've fallen in love with trainers again after buying my last pair they are so comfortable  flirt

livylivy
Countess

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 11:08:35 pm »

flirt yes they are!!! but honestly i feel better with heels, some cms more suits me  tehe and also i love the noise of heels while I m walking
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 07:40:55 am »

I can only wear a medium size heel now. Being 5' 3" I do like a bit of a heel especially when wearing a dress. My favourite brand is a maker called Hispanitas. They are made in Spain are like works of art. I only buy them in the sales.

Recently bought these in the sale. There a bit higher than I tend to wear but they are quite supportive around the ankle.

http://www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/women-c1/boots-c3/arlene-womens-ankle-boots-p22370
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 07:43:06 am by Freya » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 04:15:11 pm »

^Are they as comfortable as they look?  Wow.  They're really handsome booties.  And they look well made, too.  But, that's Spain for you.  That, for me, is the highest heel I'd go with but are so workable with my height as well (5'4.5 yes, I take that half an inch).

Freya
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 05:02:59 pm »

^
It's difficult finding a balance between comfort and style but Hispanitas seem to do this. The boots are very comfortable and I also have a pair of loafer type shoes and a couple of pairs with a slight wedge heel.  I am tempted to buy another pair of boots in the sale in blue. I am sure you could get them in the US.

These are a bit like the wedge heeled ones that I have got but with a different decoration on the front.

http://www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/women-c1/shoes-c2/nate-womens-dress-shoes-p22364?attribute[1]=4052
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 05:10:50 pm by Freya » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 05:29:18 pm »

^Thank you!  Those look ultra comfortable as well.  It's the shipping that's the killer getting them to the US.  Something to save for!  Those boots are perfection for my needs next fall (hope they're still around).  flower

livylivy
Countess

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 08:53:36 pm »

Nice comfortable shoes, they' d look very well with a pair of trousers in autumn/ winter for the office!  thumbsup
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 08:12:17 am »

^
^
It took me ages to find some ankle boots because I broke my ankle some years ago and I can't get the side zip over the ankle even if they fit the foot.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2016, 03:53:18 pm »

^I feel your pain.  I cracked the side of my right ankle a year or two ago and I have to have some support or else I'm in trouble.  That's why these, which are really more of a shoe-boot might work.  Pull on booties that are flat are my only resource now and I rarely wear them because they're too casual and never look quite right.  It's a tough call getting just the right boot all the time.

Fredericka
royal watcher

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 05:14:53 pm »

There's nothing worse than seeing a woman trying to walk down the street in high heels, but failing - wobbling all over the place and looking very uncomfortable.

Yes heels do make an outfit look better, but I'm a fan of a block heel (5-8cm) ... it's high enough to show an outfit off and flatter the legs, but low (and solid) enough to be comfortable to walk in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: