Royal Gossip
June 20, 2018, 08:54:34 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EU Referendum in the UK 2016  (Read 17067 times)
marion
Duchess

« Reply #160 on: July 04, 2016, 07:38:01 pm »

Looks like Juncker might be on the way out

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3673325/EU-chief-Jean-Claude-Juncker-mounting-pressure-resign-failures-Brexit-refugee-crisis-Greece.html
Val
Princess

« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2016, 07:56:56 am »

^

About time too, nasty little man.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2016, 08:54:57 pm »

Seems all the doom and gloom about life after Brexit was all lies - just as well so many weren't fooled by it.  It seems the Tat steel works might actually benefit

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3680501/Could-Brexit-save-Port-Talbot-Sajid-Javid-India-talks-Tata-bosses-steel-giant-rethinks-sale-UK-assets-fall-value-Pound.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3680063/What-difference-two-weeks-Osborne-says-City-THRIVE-following-Brexit-remain-world-s-dominant-financial-centre.html

It seems Frau Merkel's aren't over as German now want a referendum !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3681021/Left-wingers-tell-Merkel-not-arrogant-let-Germans-hold-EU-referendum-Brexit.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:57:21 pm by marion » Logged
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »

^Every serious financial guru has been firm that the whole fear-mongering over Brexit was strictly political and that trade, especially exports, would, in fact, escalate.  How people don't see that astonishes me.  Will it require more manufacturing and restructuring in the banking industry?  Yes.  Will it help the economy in the long run?  Oh my yes.

There was an impact study completed, also, by the tourism industry and, as predicted, trips to London/England are shooting up. CNN had a special on it a night or so ago as much as they hated to admit that non-stop bleeding hearts aren't always the answer to everything.  Sorry, but a country's financial strength is in its identity and ability to maneuver easily without being a slave to a larger entity or the lowest common denominator.  Very simple.  And, yes, I know that makes me sound like a Capitalist.  There's nothing wrong with doing good business.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2016, 09:58:45 pm »

^they are going to lose the little manufacturing that remains and most of the finance industry. Even with the best trade deal they will lose most part of the finance industry. The deal with china will fall through also.

UK was in no way slave to the EU. Since their entry they've done what they wanted and had an opt out clause on many deals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opt-outs_in_the_European_Union

Now if they want trade they will have to pay the same and lose power inside the organization.

Doubt that UK will get limit on movement unless they lose a lot on other side. Rumour has it that France wants the banks. But others will want to make an example of this so who knows.

This is why no one wants to notify the decision to the EU. Any deal the will get is not going to be well received.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Val
Princess

« Reply #165 on: July 09, 2016, 12:12:55 am »

The old Commonwealth countries are waiting impatiently to trade with us as are India and China and more.  A trade representative went to India today to negotiate trade (not air miles Andy)!
So many are doing an about turn after Brexit like George Osborbe and the governor of the Bank of England all now saying that the economy will thrive and improve.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #166 on: July 09, 2016, 12:19:31 am »

^^Oh, I fully understand the at-hand and immediate fallout and agree.  It is, however, from a world-wide vantage point that if you are unable to set your own financials, such as corporate taxes, interest rates, import/export exchanges/contracts because you are bound to the one-nation rule, then, yes, you are a slave.  Right now, since Brexit, my personal portfolio took a hit, but because we have a built-in correction in the US, and a 'buy', my globals are in a better position than they have been since the crash of 2008-09.  Before Brexit, any globals I had were solely dependent upon, in regards to the EU, whatever Brussels said it was or however Merkel wanted to mess about with the rate of inflation and trade balance.

For me, it's a different point of view perhaps because this is how businesses run in the US and maybe that doesn't work in England nor Europe. I don't know but competition, freedom to drive the economy by that very competitive price point is the hallmark of any business's success or failure and that is what a country, any country, ultimately is.  I wouldn't want, say, Canada telling the US what our corporate tax ceiling should be.  It wouldn't work.  That, to me, is what I meant by slavery.  I don't care what Canada decides to do with their own economy other than what do we have to do to compete with it or adjust and do better than they.  That's all.

It's waaay too early to predict anything but if trade is one issue that can be pinpointed, and if the corrections work?  The only news will be good for the UK and the rest of those countries who are solvent.  It boils down to whether or not you want to think in a more spread-the-poverty-wealth mindset or one of incentives for independent growth without restrictions.  The second half of that has inherent risk factors but also enormous potential.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Val
Princess

« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2016, 05:24:22 am »

^

Andrea Leadsom, one of the two women running for PM is very much looking to the future and the enormous potential that we will now have.  She is a banker, economist etc etc and can see the huge benefits of Brexit.  Theresa May will drag it out and try and please her Remain colleagues and voters.  Theresa May as Home Secretary doesn't have a good track record on many things including immigration, border control etc etc.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #168 on: July 09, 2016, 04:47:20 pm »

IMO Angela Leadsom is getting the "Farage" treatment - there is a lot of publicity being given to remarks she is alleged to have made saying she would  be a better PM as she has children and Theresa May doesn't.  On the face of it that is a nasty thing to say as TM wasn't able to have children but it would seem that in fact AL's remarks have been twisted - see transcript of part of the relevant interview below

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2016/07/the-timess-transcript-of-what-leadsom-said-in-her-interview-with-rachel-sylvester.html
Val
Princess

« Reply #169 on: July 09, 2016, 05:51:00 pm »

^

Couldn't agree more ie she is definitely  getting the Farage treatment.   It is obvious that TPTB for the reasons we have discussed want May who will drag out Brexit whilst Leadsom will do what the public voted for and execute a speedy exit.

http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/rob-slane-electing-may-will-explode-the-myth-that-the-conservatives-are-conservative/
Val
Princess

« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2016, 07:04:49 am »

Excellent article by Richard Littlejohn

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3685534/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-Mother-Theresa-Maggie-time-tell-new-Prime-Minister-healing-divisive.html
marion
Duchess

« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2016, 05:40:05 pm »

If Theresa May doesn't negotiatate to leave the EU the Tories are going to face massive losses at the next General Election. 

Interesting comment from an "outsider" on the Brexit thread on FB..........

"I see Theresa May's appointment as PM has several positives for Brexit; allow me to explain. Andrea Leadsom stopped her leadership challenge because she didn't want the Tories to end up like Labour; a leader without the support of their MPs. In Government, that would be even more difficult, near impossible.

However, the 90 or so Eurosceptic Tories still have the upper hand and can push Mrs May to trigger Article 50, take us out of the EU, and get the best deal. If she doesn't, those Eurosceptic Tory MPs, who let's not forget, forced Cameron to stay true to his promise of us having an EU Referendum in the first place, could call for a "Vote of No Confidence" in the Government. If May loses that, she'll know it will be virtually impossible to push any legislation through as the Eurosceptics would potentially vote with the opposition and defeat the Government every time. That would result in an early General Election.

A General Election anytime soon would see only ONE party offering the 17.4 million what they want; and what they've already voted for once. Even if UKIP only secured half those votes, they'd likely be the biggest single party with all of the others squabbling amongst themselves trying to claim to be the best Remainiacs in the country. Can you imagine UKIP holding the balance of power in another hung Parliament? Just think what we could achieve!

So, if May & Co don't get the best deal possible, and fudge it, forcing the Tory Eurosceptics to put up or shut up, every Tory MP in a LEAVE majority constituency, will be under pressure to act from their Leave supporting constituents. The electorate don't forget, especially when they've been stitched up and lied to. Just ask the Lib-Dems (Tuition Fees 2011) and 4 years later reduced from 48 to just 8 MPs.

Meanwhile, David Cameron, who'll forevermore be remembered as the (man) who lost his country by campaigning against more than half and lying to the entire population, leaves office even more loathed than Tony Blair! Whoever imagined that would be possible? That smarmy, slimy, posh lying git reduced to the walk of shame. Some will be saying "bye bye" most of us will be saying two other words! Cameron's proffetic claim from 2015, that he won't serve a third term, ringing in his ears. In fact, he's only "served" a little more than one fifth of his second term. Bonus.
"

Val
Princess

« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2016, 09:52:59 pm »

^

Great and very informative article Marion.  Thanks for posting.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2016, 06:23:13 pm »

My pleasure Val
marion
Duchess

« Reply #174 on: July 16, 2016, 06:32:32 pm »

Having voted to shake off the shackles of the EU now we're making ourselves slaves to NS's wishes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3693271/Fury-Scotland-s-Brexit-veto-MPs-react-angrily-Prime-Minister-Theresa-promises-not-trigger-Article-50-Scots-signed-up.html
Val
Princess

« Reply #175 on: July 16, 2016, 09:10:49 pm »

So if this is correct, then why did nobody tell May about it before she headed up to Scotland.

https://scontent.fmad3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13728990_1215225408496168_9005720098071182458_n.jpg?oh=aa8d93bc082cb3f7075fe2b867526bde&oe=57F34705
marion
Duchess

« Reply #176 on: July 17, 2016, 12:23:04 pm »

Maybe she does know and is just trying to string NS along to find out what her plans  are.  Suspect TM wants to reach out to the Scots who used to vote Tory and others that may be persuaded. NS has so little power - not much more that a parish councillor when it comes to it. Scotland cannot go it alone due to the Act of Union.

All those MPs, especially the Tories, who denigrated this country should be de-selected for the next GE.  We have been a trading nation for 600 years; did these *fools* really think we couldn't survive when we left the EU??

I'd like to see Theresa May and her team make the Midlands and the North-East special cases for funding and regeneration. These areas have been ignored by the Labour Party and it was their votes which won Brexit.  We can't continue to ignore these parts of the England; they provide cannon fodder when the Government wants to wage war and they must be looked after in peace-time.  Ministers for these two areas should be appointed immediately and the overseas aid money should be diverted to caring for our people. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:28:53 pm by marion » Logged
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #177 on: July 17, 2016, 05:50:28 pm »

I wonder why it's so vital for Britain to stay in the EU, it's not like it brought advantages.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #178 on: July 17, 2016, 05:56:44 pm »

^ From the UK's point of view it isn't but there will be a big hole in EU finances when we leave - the rest of Europe needs us more than we need them

A friend of mine is an industrialist in the North East – there is a group of them in  the north east, who, for a long time now, have wanted to develop trade with Russia and the Scandinavian and Baltic countries but have been unable to do so because of EU restrictions.  Red tape for applying for EU funding is insane and many are now deciding not to bother as it's actually holding economic development back.
People in the North East have seen their shipping and steel industries in the North, and pottery and car industries (Midlands, esp. Stoke on Trent) and their futures decimated for cheaper products from the EU.
The Tories need to get back to being the party of aspiration and hope for blue-collar workers and their families – traditional Labour Party voters have been ignored by the Metropolitan elite of the current Labour Party.  The Tories could tap into that anger and disenchantment by investing in these impoverished areas and thus bringing back work and, equally important, a better future for the communities.  The work force and the infra-structures are already there but they need to be modernised with the latest technology. It would be a marvellous idea to involve great entrepreneurs like Dyson in this plan and who could be persuaded to put in their own money which would be matched by Government funds.
Overseas aid money would be scrapped and just given for emergencies e.g. earthquakes.  At present it usually gets into the hands of the wrong people and doesn’t; benefit those it is meant for.  It would be better spent on improving industry in the UK which in turn would generate money for emergencies. Priti Patel is in charge and she hates it. I think we will see some interesting developments there.

Val
Princess

« Reply #179 on: July 17, 2016, 10:25:07 pm »

^

Yes interesting developments ahead and we definitely don't need the EU.  As Marion said we are a trading country and will thrive and grow away from the EU.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: