Royal Gossip
July 20, 2017, 07:31:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth II - 90th Birthday Celebrations  (Read 31068 times)
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2016, 11:52:40 am »

One article said cucumber sandwiches from Marks and Spencer, a few other sad bis and bobs and that was about it.  Times must be hard for HM - must be down to her last 4 or 5 billions pounds by the sound of it  laugh laugh

This birthday not going down well with the public

https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12540618_1112844105392991_5259445857836334276_n.jpg?oh=d358f004eda773af151578cac4f43e9b&oe=5739AA62
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:58:48 am by gingerboy24 » Logged
Val
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2016, 01:09:28 pm »

^

They must all be totally lacking in grey matter to think that the public would accept something like that.   Perhaps they could invite the genuine immigrants for  free and give them a day out, might go towards a little damage control.   Perhaps pensioners too who can't even afford to heat their homes and feed themselves.
Whiffy Leaks
courtier

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2016, 01:55:48 pm »

Immigrants? Hell no. Unless they've been here for years and contributed to society. Or, as you said, low income pensioners. Or people that have been nominated for awards for good works but didn't quite make the cut. That would be an appropriate guest list.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2016, 11:56:11 pm »

Of course no one is being forced to go so if there is the sort of opposition being suggested then they won't sell the tickets and it will be a flop ... but I suspect that they will be oversubscribed for tickets and will easily sell the 10,000 tickets.

That doesn't seem that much for a 'once-in-a-lifetime' event. I have paid way more than that for an event I will only do once e.g. over $1000 Australian dollars for dinner on Sydney Harbour on New Years' Eve. Well worth that price. I also paid way more than that for a day at Wimbledon on Centre Court - another, for me, 'once in a lifetime' event. If people want to spend the money they will and if they don't want to do so then they will not spend it.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 12:40:53 am »

This event should have had corporate sponsorship with the monies going to the charities after cost over-run in HM's and those charities' honor, not the charities/patrons paying up who are, in fact, HM's charities.  This isn't rocket science.  I've honestly never heard of anything so vulgar, whatever the price point.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 01:01:11 am »

They have some corporate sponsorship e.g. the people proving the hampers but ... the corporations have to see a benefit to themselves to put up the money.

Any left-over money is going back to the charities.
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 04:45:50 am »

This a party and you don't usually have a party and ask people to cough up. I know some people ask quests to pay for their own food and drink at weddings but I don't agree with that. I would certainly provide meal, drink on arrival, wine with meal and toast.

Quests do not pay for the garden parties so why not do a few more of these?
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 05:59:23 am »

^^That's not how corporate sponsorship works.  There is a massive pile of $ for charitable support and any company chosen gets, in essence, much less expensive advertising in print, ad placement, photos, etc.  It's that simple.  Just slap a Nike swoosh on it and you're done, iow.

Nobody should pay to celebrate HM's party except private distributors of tat.  Charities should pay zip.  It's such bad PR that it's not worth whatever savings vs ill will it will generate.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2016, 12:38:41 pm »

Of course no one is being forced to go so if there is the sort of opposition being suggested then they won't sell the tickets and it will be a flop ... but I suspect that they will be oversubscribed for tickets and will easily sell the 10,000 tickets.

That doesn't seem that much for a 'once-in-a-lifetime' event. I have paid way more than that for an event I will only do once e.g. over $1000 Australian dollars for dinner on Sydney Harbour on New Years' Eve. Well worth that price. I also paid way more than that for a day at Wimbledon on Centre Court - another, for me, 'once in a lifetime' event. If people want to spend the money they will and if they don't want to do so then they will not spend it.

But Wimbledon isn't kept afloat by your tax-dollars and the New Years' Eve in Sydney is also a full business event and highly sponsored and no tax-dollars being used again, other than perhaps the wages for police and fire department.

The Queen however is fully paid by the British public and this was to honour the Queen for the work she has done with her 600 patronages. The honouring-part happens to coincide with the 90th birthday of HM. But since the big event planning organisation of Peter Philips got involved, the charities have to pay money to be present. I am sorry, but that is wrong.
You don't ask people money to be present to honour your grandmother (or yourself). And if the Queen would be so committed to these charities, she would ask the people to donate money to the charities instead of attending some sad luncheon on the street.
Believe me...having been to Wimbledon on several occasions, the decor and entourage at Wimbledon is much better than on the Mall in the midst of London. And I much rather see a few tennis players on center court than whatever 'carnavalesk' entertainment Philips has in store for the people.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2016, 06:45:08 am »

Of course no one if being forced to go.

If a charity, or its people, don't want to pay then they don't pay and they don't go - simple.

There will still be people who think it is worth it to attend this event. If I was eligible and in London I most certainly would pay such a small amount to attend such an event. Just being in the Mall - which I think is stunning and way better to look at and experience than Wimbledon when there are half a million or so people there (have been there for such an event and it was an amazing atmosphere with everyone being excited and joining in with everything that was happening - great day).

The Queen is actually not fully funded by the British taxpayers - she doesn't receive a salary at all. Her expenses are paid for - but then my boss pays any of my work related expenses as well so nothing unusual there. Her private income comes from the same sort of source as any other large British landowner such as the Duke of Westminster - rents from tenants on properties she owns. In her case the Duchy of Lancaster.
Val
Duchess

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 10:18:07 am »

^

The whole event and surrounding hoopla has gone down like lead balloon and generated much extremely bad feeling.  Having Peter Phillips to run the event and do the catering is a major fail of the same magnitude as the disasterous 'It's a Royal Knockout' of yesteryear.   Someone needs sacking for such a not thought through idiotic blunder.
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 11:12:17 am »

The security will be costing a fortune and that won't come out of their purses. It will be paid for by the London taxpayer.

I don't think that it's a good idea on the Mall. Would have been better to do a number of special events in the grounds of BP. Easier to secure.
Countess of Holland
Duchess

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 11:30:19 am »

To me it is just sheer arrogance. The charities want to thank the Queen for her years of support. Now that I understand, I guess many have benefitted from the connection.
But to ask organizations to pay money so they can honour you...that is just arrogant.

But there will always be people who will pay that kind of money, just to be able to say they were there. A fool and his money...

gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2016, 08:34:44 pm »

Well, the old buzzard sure knows a bit of class when she sees it  laugh laugh laugh

Happy 90th, Wor Majesty! Ant and Dec host a horsey Royal tribute to the Queen to mark her birthday 
Popular Geordie pair chosen to present star-studded ITV show
Event will be staged at annual Royal Windsor Horse Show held in Windsor Castle
Dame Helen Mirren, who played Her Majesty in film The Queen, will have key role along
The Queen herself will attend the 90-minute event
For more on the Queen's birthday visit www.dailymail.co.uk/thequeen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3403051/Happy-90th-Wor-Majesty-Ant-Dec-host-horsey-Royal-tribute-Queen-mark-birthday.html

Seriously, these two, and HM there fore the whole time  -  she sure has gone down into the gutter with the medds, that much is a dead cert for me.

Val
Duchess

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2016, 10:25:08 pm »

^

Couldn't agree more, it's not what the public want to see from a sovereign, they just don't get it.
The next thing QE will be reading the weather report like Charles did or even being a guest interviewer on the Jeremy Kyle show.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2016, 10:59:31 pm »

Part of the point of monarchy is the mystique surrounding them - they seem to think that by mixing with the common folk it makes them more popular but it does quite the opposite.

Why are the RF all over Ant and Dec all of a sudden anyway - first it was the interview they did with harry and willy and then charlie.  Is there something we are missing here?
Whiffy Leaks
courtier

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2016, 09:25:28 am »

^ Theyre hoping for some of A&D's popularity by association.
And Val^^, the RF and in laws would be perfect fodder for th JK show.
Does anyone else think Queeny has either given up or lost the plot?
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2016, 11:28:24 am »

Deleted comment by me ~ Alex
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 12:08:11 pm by Alexandrine » Logged
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2016, 12:13:22 pm »

Please let's remember to take into consideration which topic we are talking about. Anything that can be a crime should be only talked about with links to press articles.

@Gingerboy your post could have been very misunderstood and am still not sure if there was an insinuation or not but I'm going to delete your post because it could have been taken any way. As I said please consider that some topics are very delicate and should be treated as such.

Thank you

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2016, 10:56:02 pm »

How very cosy Ma'am! The Queen's grandson has won the contract to stage her 90th birthday party. Sheer business savvy? No, he's got THREE clients - and two are granny and his mum!

Clad in jeans, a striped shirt and a high-visibility vest, the man driving a JCB forklift truck around Horse Guards Parade near Buckingham Palace could have been just another workman preparing the site for a big event.

Far from it. The person behind the wheel was Peter Phillips, grandson of the Queen, mucking in during preparations for the 2014 London leg of the Longines Global Champions Tour show-jumping event, which his firm organises each year.

Cynics could be forgiven for wondering whether Mr Phillips — his mother, Princess Anne, turned down a title on his and sister Zara’s behalf — was stage-managing his image as a no-nonsense operator.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3412968/How-cosy-Ma-Queen-s-grandson-won-contract-stage-90th-birthday-party-Sheer-business-savvy-No-s-got-THREE-clients-two-granny-mum.html#ixzz3y6wlnPSf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: