Royal Gossip
August 20, 2018, 02:00:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photoshopping In Newspapers/News Media  (Read 883 times)
Mememe
Baroness

Artist Credit: www.murielbarclay.co.uk

« on: September 27, 2015, 04:37:17 pm »

We've touched on photoshopping in relation to the royal family in a number of threads.  This particular thread can be used to discuss royals but I think we could use a thread to discuss photoshopping as it is found in everyday articles.

When I read this article, I was astounded by the presumed/assumed photoshopping that has taken place on the picture of a German woman. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3250057/German-murder-victim-Petra-Pazsitka-disappeared-31-years-ago-turns-alive-living-Dusseldorf.html

Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:42:32 pm »

OMG that story.

But in a more general sense if it's published I just think it has photo shopped. Even normal people use it to look better.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 03:42:08 am »

When did photoshopping first begin?

Really A Baron
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 04:49:16 am »

^ Don't know, probably very early 1990s, but for decades before smart Society photographers would ensure that lines, wrinkles, double chins and thick waists would disappear during the studio process when their clients' photos appeared in magazines like Country Life, and for Royal portraiture. I know the Queen Mother asked Cecil Beaton in the 1950s to leave a few lines to show that she hadn't been untouched by the years.
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 12:07:55 pm »

^ Not only that, but realistically a form of "photoshop"/ "retouching" has always existed, photoshop is just the new modern computer version.
Paintings didn't always truly depict their subjects either. They were often done to flatter the person.

There's a story, I forgot the names of the people or the country of origin (was a few hundred years ago), but it was a match made by the parents and the groom had seen paintings of his bride and agreed to marry her. When she came over, just before the wedding was to take place, he refused to marry her and was horrified at how different she looked in real life in comparison to the "life like" paintings he was sent before.

The same is going on with photoshop: celebrities are barely recognizeable anymore and "normal people" using filters kill their pics themselves, often overdoing the soft-focus feature, so that looking at their pic for longer than 5 seconds gives me a dizzy headache...

I always love unretouched pics when they are published! Esp when compared to retouched ones, like day & night. Old magazine covers are nice, when skin looks like skin. People are crazy for HD, which makes everyone see every pore on your face, but then retouch into sth entirely different..  stop

Queen Victoria's pics were retouched with a pencil! All her portraits were done to flatter her.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 12:51:36 am »

Teresa Cristina of the Two Sicilies was the Empress consort of Emperor Pedro II of Brazil. The Princess was married by proxy to Pedro II in 1843. Pedro's expectations had been raised when a portrait was presented that depicted Teresa Cristina as a beautiful lady. He was displeased by the bride's looks upon their first meeting later in 1843.

Really A Baron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: