Royal Gossip
July 23, 2017, 03:42:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Poll
Question: When do you think it'll be?
2016 - 2 (6.5%)
2017 - 4 (12.9%)
2018 - 7 (22.6%)
2019 - 3 (9.7%)
2020 or later - 15 (48.4%)
Total Voters: 31

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What year do you think Harry will marry?  (Read 12401 times)
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 08:24:37 am »

I think it depends on the couple. Bigger age gaps can work, but they can also cause big problems. I think it's important that both people are in a similar life stage. If they both want kids vs. if one person already has kids and the other wants kids. Or if the woman is middle-aged and the man is in his 20's, he's still growing up and just because he says he doesn't want kids now, doesn't mean he won't change his mind when he gets to his 30's. If one person is still in school, then a big age gap (more than a few years) is inappropriate. I also think under 28-30 isn't good to have a bigger age gap.

I think with how fast the world is changing, bigger age gaps aren't going to work like they used to. I know a happily married couple who are 15 years apart in age. But I wouldn't consider dating someone that much older than I am.  dontknow
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 09:29:02 am »

^ Sometimes couples meet and they are just right for each other, at whatever age they are, I think. Charles and Diana were dreadful together, not just because of the age gap but because he was an exceptionally old 32 year old when they met, with views and interests that were those of a middle aged person, while Diana was a young 19. I think Harry has a young persona and isn't fuddy duddy in the way his father was. I have read that the 'ideal' age gap between husband and wife is seven years. If Harry met someone at 32 and married a compatible 27 year old at 33, that wouldn't be too bad, IMO.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:33 am »

If the rumour I have read is correct - that the Queen insists on couples being together for at least 5 years before she gives her consent then he won't get that consent before 2021 if he meets 'the one' this year.

If he does marry without her consent then he loses his place in the line of succession and his children are also barred forever but it would be a legal marriage (this was one of the changes of the Succession to the Crown Act as previously it wouldn't have been a legal marriage).

I can actually see him being more like Prince Albert and marrying in his late 40s or early 50s to a woman 20+ years his junior.
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 08:23:55 pm »

if he chooses too much - highly likely. if the queen likes the woman, and knowing that she might meet St. Peter in 5 years - she might want to attend one more royal wedding. highly unlikely, but still possible.
^^ An age gap of 7 years when the woman is below 40 (and is not Demi Moor or J Lo) is ok, but after that - men look for ... fertile women ... as bad as it sounds. And 40 somethings find attractive women between 25 and 35.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 09:27:14 pm »

Five years is too long. I think if I didn't have a ring by three years, I'd assume he wasn't interested in marrying me and I'd have to move on; I'd think he was a user (I am the placeholder until he finds someone "good enough" to marry). I feel like I read somewhere that couples that date for a long time have higher divorce rates because they've become comfortable as singles and the dynamics change when they get married. The exception would be high school sweethearts: if they don't marry until they're out of college then it could be several years, but they were too young to marry at the beginning anyway. But for adults who are out of school, five years is too long. If it takes you that long to decide that if is the person you want to spend your life with, something is missing and there's a better match out there somewhere. Plus, women have their fertility to consider. Are you willing to waste time with someone who could decide after 5-10 years not to marry you? Then you'd have to start all over with someone else? It's best to break it off earlier to give you more time to find a better match.
Liquorice
Baroness

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 10:26:28 am »

Five years is too long indeed. First, Harry must have gained in maturity : a man his age does not need much time to decide if the woman before him will be his wife. Second, if he chooses a woman close his age, chances are she will listen to her biological clock and dump him if he isn't fast enough. And third, Kate has waited at least 7, if not 9 years to get the ring, and you have seen the result !
My2Pence
gossip insider

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2015, 11:49:02 pm »

I think it depends on the individuals. It is clear that W&K are hugely immature for their ages. Other people may be more mature at 20 than those two will ever be.

Once you decide/commit that you are ready to marry, to meet someone, and start a family it can happen very quickly post-30 or 35.

Angela of Liechtenstein is 11 years older than her husband, had their son at 43, and they've been happily married for 15 years.

Mathilde of Belgium is 13 years younger than Philippe, dated secretly for three years, married when she was 26 and he was 39.

I'm not including the UAE couple, because that feels like an affectionate business arrangement to me. She needed an important husband, he needed a Western-facing younger wife.

My wish for Harry is that he pulls of a Felipe and Letizia; no one knows they are dating until they announce the engagement. It will never happen, but one can dream.
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 05:53:36 am »

he'll need to date outside of UK and to not share the good news that he's dating someone with his friends.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 07:51:00 am »

I remember reading some years ago that The Queen had stipulated that she wouldn't give consent unless the couple had been together for 7 years after the failures of three of her four children's marriages and since then the higher profile members of the family have been waiting for around that length of time at least (Edward, Charles, William, Peter and Zara).

Of course, if William and Kate have another two children the Queen's permission won't be necessary IF Harry wants to stay in the line of succession. If he doesn't mind taking himself and his descendants out of the line then he can marry without the Queen's consent of course.

If the seven year rule is true and he isn't currently with the girl then 2022 is about as early as he can marry. I certainly can't see him marrying much before 2020 unless he is secretly dating someone we don't know about. Then again - I am not sure he will marry at all. He seems to have a lot of longish relationships that end up breaking up which suggests he either has commitment issues, or he is attracted to women who do. I don't see him ending up with someone from outside his social class.
Liquorice
Baroness

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:26 am »

IMHO I think the '7-year-rule' dumb. The Cambridges are the counterexample. If the BRF still thinks this way, it shows they are unable to learn from their failures.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 11:30:48 am »

^ I can't see the Queen laying down rules to any adult members of her family about how long they should be with a person before they marry. Just as I don't think that, within reason, she gives orders to any of them about how they live their lives.
She might give advice when asked but even then I can't see her saying to a young relative madly in love who's been with someone a year or two, 'No. You have to wait another five years before I give my consent'. I think the person who wrote the article about the Queen doing anything like that plucked a number out of the air and then exercised his or her's imagination.
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 12:24:02 pm »

I think that there has to be some time between someone marries. At least wait for the honeymoon period of  the relationship to be over and actually see how the two people are really in that relationship. That means - at least one year. In that one year - they must be pretty interactive with each other and that includes - moving in together. Unless you live with someone before marriage you don't know what will irritate you to the point of breaking things off. Also - with Harry constantly traveling to somewhere - that waiting and vetting period should be longer.

Let's be honest - it is very nice that he is 3 months in Africa, 2 months in Australia, maybe a month in US, couple of weeks in UAE, few weeks skiing in Swiss Alps ... all in one year. But when you are in a relationship - you either bring your sweetheart with you, which is highly unpractical in his case because on most places he goes there's no place for women in make up, hairdo, dress and high heels (unless he goes for women who don't wash their hair often one more time), or you agree to have a long distance relationship.

Long distance relationships are for people who are commitment phoebes. And they attract either another commitment phoebe who will be happy to string along for 6 years or a needy person who will trow temper tantrums to get a commitment which in turn ends up driving the commitment phoebe away faster than its to be expected.
My2Pence
gossip insider

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 02:39:38 pm »

I don't think HM would demand 5 years out of Harry and his potential wife, even if she ever required it of others.  She's seen the dangers of waiting too long for the wrong person, she could see the opposite side of the issue.  There's the success of Peter and Autumn, and that was four years meet-to-engagement.  For someone in their early thirties who knows what they want, waiting 5 years is not an option.

Since this is the spare, the gloves would be off media-wise. No protections, PR, and lies like the press did for Middleton. With the social media changes like cell phone video, twitter, location tracking, drones, it would be even worse. After what the press did to Chelsy, I don't see Harry putting his future wife through that for 5 years. If he knew she was the right one, he'd want her under Palace protection as quickly as possible.

"Unless you live with someone before marriage you don't know what will irritate you to the point of breaking things off."  IMO, making the commitment of marriage means you learn to address the issues and get over the little things.  If you can't tell your partner that you can't stand their dirty socks, you aren't at the point in your life where you're willing to do what it takes to make a marriage work.

KGap
courtier

« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 08:55:32 pm »

If the rumour I have read is correct - that the Queen insists on couples being together for at least 5 years before she gives her consent then he won't get that consent before 2021 if he meets 'the one' this year.

If he does marry without her consent then he loses his place in the line of succession and his children are also barred forever but it would be a legal marriage (this was one of the changes of the Succession to the Crown Act as previously it wouldn't have been a legal marriage).

I can actually see him being more like Prince Albert and marrying in his late 40s or early 50s to a woman 20+ years his junior.

I remember reading some years ago that The Queen had stipulated that she wouldn't give consent unless the couple had been together for 7 years after the failures of three of her four children's marriages and since then the higher profile members of the family have been waiting for around that length of time at least (Edward, Charles, William, Peter and Zara).

Of course, if William and Kate have another two children the Queen's permission won't be necessary IF Harry wants to stay in the line of succession. If he doesn't mind taking himself and his descendants out of the line then he can marry without the Queen's consent of course.

If the seven year rule is true and he isn't currently with the girl then 2022 is about as early as he can marry. I certainly can't see him marrying much before 2020 unless he is secretly dating someone we don't know about. Then again - I am not sure he will marry at all. He seems to have a lot of longish relationships that end up breaking up which suggests he either has commitment issues, or he is attracted to women who do. I don't see him ending up with someone from outside his social class.

Which is it 5 or 7 years?  sly

Why so insulting towards Harry?

Whomever he chooses... will likely be better suited for a royal role (he has emphatically stated that he is looking for a woman who will take on the job); then simply marrying one's college mattress and having the media whitewash one's poor choice in wife.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 09:25:37 pm »

I do think HM wants a waiting period to establish whether or not the person is going to last and be able to really handle the position. Better than letting someone in right away after a quick courtship. Making someone wait means that it encourages the royals to start thinking ahead at an early age about what they want in a spouse.

I don't think HM would demand 5 years out of Harry and his potential wife, even if she ever required it of others.  She's seen the dangers of waiting too long for the wrong person, she could see the opposite side of the issue.  There's the success of Peter and Autumn, and that was four years meet-to-engagement.  For someone in their early thirties who knows what they want, waiting 5 years is not an option.

I think the reason WK are a disaster is because William failed to establish boundaries and never should have let Kate move in with him during school and he failed to use common sense. Autumn and Peter are not closely in the succession and I don't think HM wants to let Harry met and then marry someone within a short period of time.

Then again - I am not sure he will marry at all. He seems to have a lot of longish relationships that end up breaking up which suggests he either has commitment issues, or he is attracted to women who do. I don't see him ending up with someone from outside his social class.

I think he's a lot pickier than people want to see; he has a specific type and preference and I do think he's going to marry someone who will be at ease with the BRF and his friends. He likely won't marry an 'outsider'.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2015, 09:24:21 am »

I don't think anyone should marry before 18 months... 12 months dating + 6 months engagement period. Engagement period should be for reflection and discernment, pre-marital counseling (someone to help you go over things, and think of potential red flags that you may not have thought of), and people should be able to call it off at any time. Better to call off an engagement than to get a divorce. There are couples who made it work marrying after just a few dates, but they are the exception. You need to take time to get to know the person. On the other hand, if you are still unsure after a few years then I think it's time to move on. Something is missing, even if you can't quite pinpoint it, and there is a good chance you'll regret getting married/end up divorced. These couples get divorced too, it just takes longer a lot of the time.

I could understand wanting someone to have a friendship before dating, though. Then the total time they've known each other could be up to 5-7 years by the time they get married. Friendship allows them to get to know each other as people--interests, friends, values--before getting into a relationship... at that point a lot of times they can't tell if they love the person or just love the way they make them feel, which is why dating a stranger is difficult (thanks, hormones).

I think he likes blondes as his "type". She must come from a well-off family and have good social connections. I could see him marrying a foreigner from an English-speaking country, but I think the odds are more in favor of marrying someone from the UK, which probably means his social circle.
My2Pence
gossip insider

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2015, 06:13:48 pm »

If it is the right two people, getting married quickly is the correct answer. Some marry after 10 years of dating and get divorced a few years later. Some marry after a few months and are together decades later. It all depends on the individuals.

If I get to play fantasy matchmaker, I ship Harry and Elizabeth Holmes with a marriage in Fall 2017 on his grandparents 70th anniversary. Smart, pretty, blond, and a self-made billionaire. Imagine what the two of them could do for Sentebale with her money.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/elizabeth-holmes/

This is OTT. Is there a "I think Harry should marry X" thread?
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2015, 07:56:06 pm »

Kiss  Kiss    Kiss
^ I already proposed her. the other posters said that she's out of his league and that she's too smart to be just a royal wife...
My2Pence
gossip insider

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2015, 10:01:21 pm »

Ariel, you and I can be a club of two!  She's too smart to be a royal wife like Middleton, but she could be like Maxima or Letizia (along the lines of a Melinda Gates).
michelle0187
courtier

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2015, 11:55:47 pm »

If it is the right two people, getting married quickly is the correct answer. Some marry after 10 years of dating and get divorced a few years later. Some marry after a few months and are together decades later. It all depends on the individuals.

If I get to play fantasy matchmaker, I ship Harry and Elizabeth Holmes with a marriage in Fall 2017 on his grandparents 70th anniversary. Smart, pretty, blond, and a self-made billionaire. Imagine what the two of them could do for Sentebale with her money.

http://www.forbes.com/profile/elizabeth-holmes/

This is OTT. Is there a "I think Harry should marry X" thread?

What an extremely vain choice
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: