Royal Gossip
May 28, 2017, 05:51:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marie Antoinette  (Read 1353 times)
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« on: June 05, 2015, 10:00:36 pm »

British artist's statue of 'a queen's sex organs' put on display in the Versailles Palace gardens sparks anger in France

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3112442/Huge-statue-queen-s-sex-organs-display-Versailles-Palace-gardens-sparks-anger-France.html

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:03:40 pm »

cannot believe there wasn't a topic about her already as she's been so much discussed here

I'm still reading Antonia Fraser bio on her though it has been hold right now for years, her life was so sad and I was still on the very first years of their marriage.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 12:02:03 am »

^Fraser does a great job with MA.  Enjoy!  You'll want more when you're finished but it propelled me to read more books on her.  When/if you're ready, holler and I'll share.  There's a great one written from the diary of her hairdresser that was a great read, for me anyway.  Can't remember the name but will find it. 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 03:21:17 am »

I really enjoyed all of Fraser's books -

I think this sculpture is really tasteless and ugly too.  It seems now that all artists can do is provoke - they cannot create inspirational or beautiful things.
Ariel
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 11:28:35 pm »

this sculpture, as many art sculptures and performances i've seen lately intend to provoke emotional reaction. the goal is not to create something pretty but to expose the ugly, the taboos, the shocking, the odd, the weird. as such this tube of a sculpture is really good - creates reaction. 
Tpearl
gossip insider

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 02:17:15 am »

Yes
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 12:07:09 am »

I like the fact that Empress Maria Theresa and her daughter Queen Marie Antoinette corresponded by a lot of letter writing. It was sad that Marie Antoinette's aunt by marriage, Princess Marie Adelaide of France bore malice toward her. Adelaide was the first person to call her "the Austrian".         
sauer Angry sauer Angry sauer
Demeter
royal watcher

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 09:43:18 pm »

Glad to see a thread here on MA. Her life was really interesting. I was always fascinated by the ways she tried to maintain privacy and control at court, from the way she did not eat at public meals to the ways she tried to parent her children amidst intrigue and the strictures of court life. She was very much ill-prepared for the life she led as Queen, but the popular image of her as an airhead isn't accurate, either.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 02:50:06 am »

Thing is, she was an Archduchess of the House of Hapbsurg and had a clear knowledge of the realities of royal life. She had no business pulling the BS she did, shirking her duties, ignoring the court, ignoring the people, and then blowing through massive amounts of cash (like you know who) and what happened was a huge reaction against her antics. She knew from birth that she would be married off for the sake of diplomacy to benefit her birth nation.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 11:24:25 pm »

Was Marie Antoinette the patron of any charities while she was the Queen of France?
Demeter
royal watcher

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:28:30 am »

^^ I agree she had knowledge, but I don't think she ever took it upon herself to learn what she was being shown, to internalize it. I think she very much thought that as Queen, she could have all the fun of her play farm, but none of the awareness of the sufferings of the people who actually tried to eek out a living in that fashion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: