Royal Gossip
September 21, 2018, 07:34:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Princess Mary  (Read 25139 times)
Lieblich
Baroness

« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »

^ I think Fred actually said that Margrethe wasn't a good mother, Henrik wasn't a good father, and he didn't have a great childhood. Can't remember specifically, though.

I dont think anyone can understand what the Donaldsons were doing as official representatives during an event with Chuck and Milla. It took most by surprise I think. Have we ever seen any other in-laws act as reps like that? Princess Alex's parents? Marie's parents? No we havent. Does Marge like Mary's parents, and is she perhaps close to them? I still don't think that entitles them to be reps to any other royal family. Weird  huh

I think Marie's parents were invited to a gala dinner for Marg's jubilee, and the Donaldsons weren't. It's all very weird.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »

I think his childhood was similar to Charles'. A mother who was more interested in state affairs and a father who didn't connect with him.

He said that Mary helped to bring him close to his mother but I really doubt it.

I don't think Mary's parents were in an official capacity they just let them be in the church and meet C&C in a casual manner. Maybe it's a kind of technique by Margrethe to control the in laws, from time to time she gives them a "gift".

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
christina01
courtier

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2012, 03:42:20 am »

I'm not saying it's right, but that was the way royal children were brought up back then. This new lot of royalty have mainly married commoners, who would find it alien leaving their children to be brought up by others primarily. I don't know about other royal families, but Mary and Fred do have four nannies. FOUR! Charles is really the only member of his siblings who complained about the way he was brought up. Noone else appears to have complained. I saw a interview with Princess Anne once, and she stated that her upbringing to her was normal. She didn't know any better. To her everyone was brought up the same way. Fred complained about his childhood too I believe, yes. His brother never complained however.  dontknow
June
Duchess

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2012, 04:07:38 pm »

That's right, chris.  BFF2

But really, Fred is a whiner, who just wants to do as little as possible. The poor little rich boy routine garners him the requisite amount of sympathy he requires to live his hedonistic lifestyle.  thumbsdown

To be honest, I don't think much has changed with the way royal babies are being raised. As you say, Mary and Fred have an ample supply of nannies.  sigh I think that, generally speaking, royals are becoming more accessible, warm and fuzzy - or imparting that impression - which spills over to their private lives, perhaps.

Royal houses have changed the blueprint in order to be accepted, they are far less stiff, so I just think they are raising the children accordingly. I believe royal children were trained to understand that they had to always have a "stiff upper lip" in public, but that is no longer the case. Decades ago, if children were too pampered behind the scenes, they would have grown up with the notion that this was the norm. That's my theory ...  dontknow

Anyway back to Mary ... rather than have me reiterate what others have stated well, I'll provide these two links, which explain almost the whole story. In fact, just to prove that it isn't rumour, speculation or gratuitous slur, apparently, Fred himself spoke out about how he met Mary through a woman who knew European royals (scroll down):

http://royalcorrespondent.com/2011/02/04/happy-birthday-to-hrh-crown-princess-mary-of-denmark-shes-39-years-old-tomorrow/

It has been settled by Fred himself that Mary knew that foreign princes would be at the Slipp Inn because the woman, Beatrice Tarnawski, knew Mary's flatmate, Andrew Miles. There is some debate as to exactly who invited Mary go to the pub, but that doesn't really matter. Mary had a close friend (Andrew Miles), once removed, who knew royalty. There is just no way Mary didn't know Fred et al would be at the pub. I'm also willing to bet that she was given the brief on the eligible bachelors and just how "eligible" they were. shifty I'm sure Mary re-wrote history and said she didn't know who Fred was. But, IMO, she omitted to say she didn't know until she was told by Beatrice and/or Andrew.

Now, what I can't confirm is that it was alleged that the princes were "looking for a good time" with Aussie girls.  shifty Make of that what you will; personally, I believe it. There was a bit of rumour about Andrew Miles; I know neither what exactly or if any of it is true.

Now, here is a blog, the writer of which obviously isn't a fan of Mary's. This adds some commentary on the issue, which seems accurate to me - knowing Mary's form. I do know that this Beatrice woman was upset that she was snubbed for the wedding. Now, whether or not that was because she talked to the media prior, or whether that was after she was snubbed, I'm not sure. Either way, Mary has proven to be a person who will ditch her moral compass to get what she wants. My guess is that Beatrice knew too much about Mary.

http://aboganindenmark.blogspot.com.au/2007/10/mary-and-frederik-met-at-olympics-in.html

Remember, this is the same woman (Mary) who threw out her deceased grandmother's letters before she moved to Europe.  thumbsdown

Ok, happy reading ... any questions, just ask.  Hi

I could discuss other things about Mary too, nothing that exciting, but just little tidbits which get glossed over.  tehe
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:57 pm »

Just curious.....
Has Mary yet learned to speak Danish correctly with the proper pronounciations? My heart goes out to Mary trying to learn Danish, it really does. I've been trying my hand at a few sentences in Norwegian since I've been here for a few months and it's awful.  sigh I am going to attend classes to learn Nowegian,the next time I come to Oslo, even though to learn the language fluently , takes years of practice, living it, making mistakes as you learn.

How long did it take Mary to speak Danish?  huh
What I find is, I can read(understand) Norwegian words more easily than actually speaking them.

[/URL]
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2012, 04:48:44 pm »

Commoners also use nannies. I don't think the problems were being raised by nannies per se but the relation with his parents. When Fred was growing up it was another era, his mother shouldn't be old school at all. But she is cold as fish and his father has always been jealous of his position. I don't think you can compare what Fred felt with Joachim's childhood, they may have different experiences or simply one decided to be open about it and the other not.

(For example Anne was liked by her father, Charles couldn't say that.)

Now about the nannies, I think that all CPs have a large number of nannies but we know about the danish because they are a bit more open on that topics as no one will criticise them anyway. For me having nannies is not a bad thing the problem with Mary is that she said that she wouldn't have them which was very idiotic.

@SG it happens to me, although my english writing is advanced (or I hope so!) my speaking skills are abysmal. Imo it's easier to learn to read a language than try to speak it, moreover if the pronunciation is very different from what you are used to.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
June
Duchess

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2012, 05:30:29 pm »

@ SG: according to some Danes on forums, Mary is utterly hopeless and cannot speak the language well. That is my take on it. Please remember, unlike yourself, Mary had access to the finest teachers and time to learn. It was part of her job description. Whilst no doubt it's a difficult language, Mary had an advantage over most others and she still can't get it right, apparently. The woman can barely string a proper sentence together in English, so it's hardly surprising.  laundry

@ Alexandrine: my opinion is that Fred is a whiner and his parents were just indicative of their social class and preparing their son for his birthright. They probably just didn't want to raise a cry-baby, soft King who couldn't bare to handle the tougher aspects of his position. I think that is perfectly reasonable. He wasn't born to be like others, he was born to be King.

I've never read that his father is 'jealous of his position'. He may well be ... regarding his mother, the Queen, she also used to ensure he was well looked after on his ventures away from home. I believe he was embarrassed by her attention to his well-being. That's hardly what I would describe as being uncaring.
June
Duchess

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2012, 05:31:56 pm »

It is good Mary is lending her name to this charity, if only she would purchase a few less expensive things of her own, such as Prada handbags, and donate that money as well!!!  thumbsup

Exactly, chris.  thumbsup It's definitely a worthy cause and it's nice to read, but it's hardly from her own personal efforts or sacrifice, is it?  shifty

Let's get real: this is HER JOB, for which she is paid above and beyond the value of her labour.  eating cookies
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2012, 05:45:37 pm »

There was a famous episode when Margrethe was ill and couldn't preside over an important event in Denmark, don't remember which one, well the role landed on Fred's lap for Henry's consternation who thought that he had a more important position that his son. He was so angry that decided to leave for France. Henrik has never dealt well with his son being more important than him.

I think there is a difference between raising a cry baby and simply not having a relationship with him.

I agree that he is a whiner because even having a "bad" childhood he should have been able to get over it and do something with himself. I

Miss_Sonya
gossip insider

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2012, 05:52:06 pm »

^ it was the New Year's reception of 2002 if memory serves
June
Duchess

« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2012, 05:59:39 pm »

Thanks for that information re Henrik - I had no idea.  thankyou

Re this: 'I think there is a difference between raising a cry baby and simply not having a relationship with him.' I realise that, but that is the extreme comparison. There is no evidence that Fred did not have any relationship with his mother. She may have been distant, cold even. But that doesn't mean he didn't have a relationship at all with her. From all accounts, he was close to his grandmother, which would have gone some way to ameliorating the frosty relationship with his mother.

Fred appears to be a real sook, crying regularly and looking like he's teary often. Frankly, I think his version of events is coming from a very weak perspective. I think Fred suffers from mental illness. At some level, he craves normality and wishes he had a mother who was affectionate toward him. But he wouldn't have lasted in the real world for one week. Granted, Daisy has admitted she wasn't that maternal ...

I just think that his mother has shown that she cares for him and he has said so himself. He was born royal, to be King and I think some of these homely, loving expectations are ones from normal families. That is fine, but I think it's unrealistic to assume that any royal would have the love and affection of what say, we as regular commoners, enjoyed. They say there is always a price tag for everything in life ... he did get to marry the woman he wanted. If his mother was such a shrew, she could have said "no" to Mary ... but Fred got his own way.
Miss_Sonya
gossip insider

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 06:03:19 pm »

^ it has been reported that Fred has suffered from depression in the past. Since it was never refuted by the RF I assume it's true.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »

AFAIK the relationship with his mother has been always been frosty.

The grandmother part also reminds me of Charles and how he was pampered by the QM.

christina01
courtier

« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2012, 04:56:33 am »

You have that right June  Hi, it is her damn job, and considering she is kept by the people and lives a luxury lifestyle, the least she can do is give some back.
HC
Countess

« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:06 pm »

Christina01

CP Mary receives an apanage decided by the government. That apanage is not supposed to be used to charities.

CP Mary is able to give charity through her foundation.
HC
Countess

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2012, 06:03:22 pm »

Well
I'm a dane and I can assure You that CP Mary speaks fluently danish. I do not know Anyone that is not astonished how fluently she speaks the language. Yes she has an english accent but most danish think an english accent is charming.

And CP Mary is the most popular royal person in Denmark and that says a lot as the Queen and CP Frederik is also extremely popular.

Frederik has said that his speach about his father spanking - it was a danish saying the one you love you spank - was meant as a fun part of the speach -  and he would never had made that joke if he had known how the reaction would turn out. The reaction was strong as it turned out to be yet another issue between the danes and Prince Henrik. Danish parents don't spank children but in Prince Henriks family it was a part of normal upbringing. So again difference in culture that makes the danes think less of Prince Henrik.

Frederiks relation with his mother is very close. They have recently been travelling on sledges through Greenland living in litttle tents and had a marvellous time.
pechoolo11
royal watcher

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2012, 07:01:53 pm »

I can understand the criticism of Mary. Her first meeting with Fred wasn't exactly a fairytale. They met at a pub and Mary rubbed his chest. This is an account from Beatrice Tarnawski, the friend of Mary's flatmate, Andrew Miles.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/11/04/1036308258205.html

After Mary met Fred, she enrolled in a Starmakers course. When she was in Australia last fall, an Aussie news program showed some video footage of her in the course. She and some other women were practicing how to walk. It starts around
1:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfMZObKeQ1Y

this site has a couple of pictures from Starmakers

http://royalcorrespondent.com/2011/02/04/happy-birthday-to-hrh-crown-princess-mary-of-denmark-shes-39-years-old-tomorrow/

Her accent when speaking English sounds really phony. She sounds completely different from her siblings.

I've heard that Mary speaks English the majority of the time. Her english in the documentary was awful,as you said how she  pronounced lineage was cringe worthy.

She mispronounced the word "lineage" in the DR documentary about royal jewels. She pronounced the word as two syllables: line-age. I don't know how a native English speaker can mess up the pronunciation of a simple word like that.

At least Mary kept her mouth shut before the engagement, unlike Marie.

June
Duchess

« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2012, 09:56:20 am »

Well
I'm a dane and I can assure You that CP Mary speaks fluently danish. I do not know Anyone that is not astonished how fluently she speaks the language. Yes she has an english accent but most danish think an english accent is charming.

And CP Mary is the most popular royal person in Denmark and that says a lot as the Queen and CP Frederik is also extremely popular.

Frederik has said that his speach about his father spanking - it was a danish saying the one you love you spank - was meant as a fun part of the speach -  and he would never had made that joke if he had known how the reaction would turn out. The reaction was strong as it turned out to be yet another issue between the danes and Prince Henrik. Danish parents don't spank children but in Prince Henriks family it was a part of normal upbringing. So again difference in culture that makes the danes think less of Prince Henrik.

Frederiks relation with his mother is very close. They have recently been travelling on sledges through Greenland living in litttle tents and had a marvellous time.

With respect, let me 'assure you', you can't 'assure' me of anything without substantiation (ie credible links) of your submissions. Otherwise, I'll just treat them as opinion with which I disagree.  flower

HC
Countess

« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2012, 02:08:26 pm »

June
If You was a dane then we would not have this argument. That is why I can only "assure" you.

How can I prove this when You are not a dane and don't understand danish?

The only prove I can provide is the fact that CP Mary is more popular amongs the danes than the very popular Queen.

But nevertheless I will give you this link to a 9 hour documentary about the danish royals.

Perhaps one of the links work.
Enjoy.

http://www.dr.dk/nu/player/#/kongehuset-indefra/8592
http://www.dr.dk/DR1/Dokumentar/2010/Kongehuset_indefra/
http://www.billedbladet.dk/Kongelige/ArticleFolder/2010/3/Video%20Se%20Kongehuset%20indefra.aspx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOhXplJo8M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK3dUAwzUQ8
Miss_Sonya
gossip insider

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2012, 02:15:03 pm »

Margrethe and Frederik's trip together was official business May of last year. Taking an official trip together doesn't necessarily mean they are close and it's not like he would say he thinks his mother is a *female dog* in an interview. You may very well be correct but that is not the impression I get.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: