Royal Gossip
October 15, 2018, 08:56:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diana, Tiggy and Charles  (Read 4429 times)
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« on: February 02, 2013, 08:16:21 pm »

The Tiggey confrontation had witnesses and is well documented, she went to a lawyer.

February 12, 1996
Vol. 45
No. 6

Diana Draws Blood

By Michelle Green

Lashing Out at Tiggy Brings a Legal Warning and Enrages the Queen   royalguard

Reports that became public last week suggest that Diana, 34, has recently played into the hands of those who may not wish her well. On Jan. 24, British papers pegged her as the source of a false rumor that Charles's aide Alexandra "Tiggy" Legge-Bourke, companion to Princes William, 13, and Harry, 11, when they are with their father, had become pregnant by Charles last year and had an abortion. According to witnesses who gave their accounts when the story finally surfaced, Diana strolled over to Tiggy—whom she reportedly views as a rival for her sons' affections—during the Waleses' Dec. 14 staff Christmas party at London's Lanesborough Hotel. "So sorry to hear about your baby," she allegedly said to Legge-Bourke, 30, who replied with a stunned "What?" before dissolving in tears.

Two days before full details of the scandal hit the papers, the princess's longtime private secretary Patrick Jephson, 39, resigned. Reportedly, after receiving a tongue-lashing from Di, he retorted, "You can't treat people like this," and walked out

Shocked  Shortly after the party, it seems, the tale reached the Queen, who talked with Legge-Bourke—a favorite, whose mother, Shan, is a lady-in-waiting to Princess Anne. Tiggy vigorously denied that Di's accusation had any basis in fact—as did Charles, 47, when his mother consulted him. Some of the Queen's courtiers, at least, concluded that the troubled Diana had fabricated the story to besmirch Tiggy—apparently because some are promoting her as a more popular companion for Charles, and a more acceptable would-be queen, than his longtime mistress, Camilla Parker Bowles, 48 (see story, page 171). Says one knowledgeable source: "The Queen was absolutely furious and totally in sympathy with Tiggy."
After sparking the Queen's anger, Di made an apparent plea for public sympathy

As for Tiggy, she has proved far from defenseless. With the Queen's blessing, she asked prominent libel lawyer Peter Carter-Ruck to write Di's solicitors on Dec. 18, asking that she apologize and that the abortion accusation be "recognized to be totally untrue." On Dec. 20, Carter-Ruck warned journalists not to print "malicious lies" about his client. That apparently was intended as a warning to any newspaper that might consider repeating Diana's allegation. (Still, Carter-Ruck lodged no complaint against the Sun or the Daily Mirror when they broke the story on Jan. 24. Sources close to the Palace say Tiggy is reluctant to prolong the scandal—or upset her young charges—by going to court.)

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20102758,00.html

PEOPLE.COM (1996 archives)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:22:13 pm by serene grace » Logged

[/URL]
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:24:58 pm »

It sounds like Diana was set up and frankly what Diana said to her doesn't sound horrible.

If Diana walked up to her and said "I hear you and Charles made a baby but he made you have an abortion sorry about that" then maybe. If there were rumors and Diana commented because of the rumors that make her like most of the people on the planet.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 08:28:57 pm »

I think it's obvious that Diana could be a real b***h when she wanted.

But I've always been curious about Twiggy and Charles, was it all a rumour?

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 08:38:06 pm »

Oh I agree.

I also think there may have been something to the affair rumours.  I also believe that Diana was a sweetheart, but she could also  get really ...itchy sometimes. I'm not saying I blame her after what Charles put her through, but it was mean of her to insinuate "publicly" at a party that Tiggey was with child at one point. (Diana did do that and Tiggey cried according to report above in PEOPLE.) 
(Diana knew exactly what she was saying to Tiggey.) imo
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 08:44:52 pm by serene grace » Logged

[/URL]
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:58:29 pm »

I think every female can be a real *itch when we want to be. I have no doubt Diana said it but that is not an offense to be suing over because there were rumors which came from their interactions with each other.

Tiggy also very publicly said worse things about Diana so maybe it was a  gotcha  moment.
CathyJane
Princess

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 03:54:32 am »

What I'd like to know is if Tiggy wasn't preggers then why did she burst into tears and had to helped from the room. Certainly not the kind of reaction you would expect.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:44:35 am »

Very good question. Why would she if there was nothing to the rumors? So what if Diana said "Sorry about the Baby" it should not have affected her emotionally like that in a public setting.
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:05:54 am »

Maybe Tiggy had had a pregnancy scare, or been told she might not be able to have children, or it just upset her because Diana could do that to people.  It sounds like a particularly nasty kind of thing to say to anyone.  There may have been another comment to go with it that wasn't reported to others.  Tiggy would have known that Diana had it in for her. 

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:17:52 am »

Tiggy has children. The rumor was that the baby was Charles's and she had an abortion. Speaking as a Mother I would feel about Tiggy in a similar way as Diana did because she was trying to in a very public way usurp Diana as their Mother.
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 08:42:39 am »

Tiggy was a single woman from the Queen's aristocratic circle of family friends, never married at the time, working as nanny to the boys.

Tiggy vigorously denied that Di's accusation had any basis in fact—as did Charles, 47, when his mother consulted him. Some of the Queen's courtiers, at least, concluded that the troubled Diana had fabricated the story to besmirch Tiggy—apparently because some are promoting her as a more popular companion for Charles, and a more acceptable would-be queen, than his longtime mistress, Camilla Parker Bowles, 48

PEOPLE.COM

[/URL]
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 08:48:12 am »

Charles denied an affair with Camilla for years but we all know that was a lie.

Yes Tiggy was hired as a Nanny but didn't know that a nanny is just a babysitter essentially and the children have parents. She overstepped her role on more than one occasion which is probably what led to the rumors.
Spice
Countess

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 11:01:57 am »

Tiggy got married in 1999 and has one son, Thomas, born in 2003.  Tiggy's mother was Princess Anne's lady in waiting from 1965 onwards. 

When I said she might have been told she couldn't have kids, I didn't mean that was the reality, I was trying to come up with possible reasons for heightened sensitivity about babies.  Sometimes doctors get it wrong, they tell someone there could be a problem, and it turns out to be wrong.

I don't know when she started dating her future husband, but even an unmarried woman can have a pregnancy scare.  How would we know how she might have felt about that - first shock, then acceptance, then a miscarriage or maybe an ectopic, with a 50% reduction in fertility with the loss of a tube.  That's the kind of thing that can happen to any woman, and in most cases would make you hypersensitive, at least for a while.  The fact that she went on to have only one child means she might have had problems in that area.  Or might not, who knows.  It's just not unusual for a woman of childbearing age to feel sensitive about talk of babies for whatever reason.

Tiggy has often been misreported as a nanny - in fact she was a personal assistant (a bit like Rebecca Deacon is to Kate nowadays), who then was used as a childminding "companion", sort of like a casual governess.  These kids were too old to have a nanny, they were of an age when upper class british kids traditionally had a governess or tutor, then a companion, a sort of chaperone.  Tiggy was only there during Charles' periods of care, which I understand was half of the school holidays... just a few weeks each year.  I'm sure Charles did his best to be with them at those time, sometimes with Tiggy as a hanger-on.  He probably had a number of people around at times.

IMO Diana's obsession with Tiggy was bordering on paranoia.  It wouldn't have mattered what Tiggy actually did or  didn't do, Diana would have imagined she was the devil incarnate.  Classic insecurity of a mother who was unwilling to let any other woman be in her children's lives.  As it turned out, the kids liked Tiggy (and still do), there was no affair with Charles, and no one was trying to muscle in on Diana's patch.  Not as dramatic and sensational as the way Diana or (later) the tabloids wanted people to believe, but closer to the reality all the same.

I really liked Diana and I still respect her and feel warmly towards her... but my God she could be a dramaqueen sometimes.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
serene grace
Princess

Appointed Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 11:58:21 am »

I always wondered why Di got so worked up over a possible affair with Tiggy at that point, wasn't Charles single by then?   blink

[/URL]
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »

She probably saw her as competition in terms of Charles, her children and the public.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 04:27:40 pm »

Personally I think there was something going on with Tiggy and Charles, because even Camilla hated Tiggy. Tiggy also was presenting herself as a surrogate mother so it is no wonder Diana was riled. And you are right - why did Tiggy burst in to tears when Diana said ' Sorry about the baby' if there was no truth in it? Otherwise she would have just said 'I'm sorry, what are you talking about?'

it doesn't make sense.

AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 05:52:49 pm »

If Diana had done nothing - the following would not have happened.

Two days before full details of the scandal hit the papers, the princess's longtime private secretary Patrick Jephson, 39, resigned. Reportedly, after receiving a tongue-lashing from Di, he retorted, "You can't treat people like this," and walked out.

Patrick Jephson did not stand up for Diana's behavior and it is quite clear he had had enough of it.  By saying "You can't treat people like this," there was clearly a history of this as he used the plural - he didn't refer to one person such as Tiggy.

As to why the statement Diana made could hurt anyone - that's easy.  It's called emotional abuse and as it was in a public place it was humiliating.

I think Diana felt threatened but that was no excuse for her behavior and to give her an excuse says that 'abuse is fine'.  It isn't fine.

It is like when Diana pushed her Stepmother down the stairs to the next landing - whether the woman was hurt or not is not the point, the act on behalf of Diana is and was abhorrent.

As kind as she could be, Diana could also be very malicious and beyond normal female bitchiness.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
dianab
Countess

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 08:53:37 pm »

Tiggy got married in 1999 and has one son, Thomas, born in 2003.  Tiggy's mother was Princess Anne's lady in waiting from 1965 onwards.
Tiggy have 2 sons one is godchild of William (& was in his wedding) and other is godchild (I do think the older son) of Harry.
CathyJane
Princess

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 03:09:47 am »

Personally I think there was something going on with Tiggy and Charles, because even Camilla hated Tiggy. Tiggy also was presenting herself as a surrogate mother so it is no wonder Diana was riled. And you are right - why did Tiggy burst in to tears when Diana said ' Sorry about the baby' if there was no truth in it? Otherwise she would have just said 'I'm sorry, what are you talking about?'

it doesn't make sense.

It was one of the few things Camilla & Diana had in comon- their hatred of Tiggy. And wasn't Diana worried that Chucky was planning an accident for her so he could marry Tiggy?
Spice
Countess

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 03:40:47 am »

Tiggy have 2 sons one is godchild of William (& was in his wedding) and other is godchild (I do think the older son) of Harry.

Oops, I got that part wrong.  I was reading from an out of date website.  Wikipedia says she has Fred and Thomas.

Spice
Countess

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 03:42:32 am »

If Diana had done nothing - the following would not have happened.

Two days before full details of the scandal hit the papers, the princess's longtime private secretary Patrick Jephson, 39, resigned. Reportedly, after receiving a tongue-lashing from Di, he retorted, "You can't treat people like this," and walked out.

Patrick Jephson did not stand up for Diana's behavior and it is quite clear he had had enough of it.  By saying "You can't treat people like this," there was clearly a history of this as he used the plural - he didn't refer to one person such as Tiggy.

As to why the statement Diana made could hurt anyone - that's easy.  It's called emotional abuse and as it was in a public place it was humiliating.

I think Diana felt threatened but that was no excuse for her behavior and to give her an excuse says that 'abuse is fine'.  It isn't fine.

It is like when Diana pushed her Stepmother down the stairs to the next landing - whether the woman was hurt or not is not the point, the act on behalf of Diana is and was abhorrent.

As kind as she could be, Diana could also be very malicious and beyond normal female bitchiness.

goodpost

It doesn't matter whether Tiggy was having an affair with Charles or anything... Diana had no right to abuse her.  Period.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: