Royal Gossip
November 18, 2017, 04:26:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The death of Queen Elizabeth will be the most disruptive event in Britain  (Read 3570 times)
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« on: March 10, 2015, 04:20:25 pm »

The death of Queen Elizabeth will be the most disruptive event in Britain in the last 70 years

Queen Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God Queen of this Realm and of Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, is not going to live forever.

Since ascending to the throne in 1952, the monarch has seen 12 Prime Ministers serve Britain, and lived through another 12 US Presidents. She's now 88. At some point — not for many years yet, we hope — Queen Elizabeth II's reign will come to an end.

But what happens then?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-death-of-queen-elizabeth-will-be-the-most-disruptive-event-in-britain-in-the-last-70-years/ar-AA9sLi3?ocid=mailsignout

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
FortressODaveBarry
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 04:56:10 pm »

"Throughout this period, there will be a massive, hysterical outpouring of public grief. It won't just be a sombre dress minute of silence at sports games — it'll be a punch to the gut of the national psyche. When Princess Diana died, the public turned out in their tens of thousands"

I think people will mourn what the Queen stood for (ie a bygone era), not so much the "omg, I felt like my friend died" mourning there was for Diana.
Rebecca
Baroness

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 05:04:57 pm »

Excellent article! Thanks for sharing!

As an American, it is shocking to actually realize that the death of the queen will result in such changes for the UK. Even requiring new money, passports, police uniforms, mailboxes, etc., it is really hard to understand how one person can be that important to an entire country.

Not to offend any of you who may feel this way, but I have a hard time understanding how so many people could be devastated by the death of someone they don't even know. Whether it be Diana, or the queen, or whomever, I can't understand why people would be grief stricken and losing the will to go on (as the article said some were after Di's passing). Obviously, one would feel sadness, but I would only feel totally grief stricken if someone close to me died, not a woman through her birth is some how superior to others, her 'subjects'.

I am totally antimonarchist, as I believe no one is superior to anyone else as a result of their parentage. I can truly not imagine bowing to Elizabeth II, or anyone else. I hope in the near future no more kings/queens will rule on this Earth.

flower
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 11:06:52 pm »

I was in London at the time of Diana's funeral and the mood of the people (great sadness) and the mounds and mounds of flowers were unbelievable. There are documentaries of King George VI's funeral in 1952, showing huge crowds out in the streets as the funeral cortege went by. His coffin was taken by train from Sandringham  (where he died) to London and one documentary shows people standing in the fields as the train goes past.

So much is physically marked ER, on buildings, artefacts etc. there will have to be some changes. Some are forgotten. JIn some corners of Britain there are still little postboxes etc marked VR (for Victoria) that have never been touched. The big change will be singing the national anthem 'God Save the King' instead of Queen, which will seem strange to some people.
Diaphenous
courtier

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:48:52 pm »

Diana's death resonated with the British people for a number of reasons.  She was loved by people because of her compassion.  She was viewed as a victim of Charles's selfishness and cold heartedness, having taken her as a very young bride who bore him two children and was subsquently thrown on the scrap heap.  I admit to be very upset at her violent, unexpected passing.  It was one of those occasions that will always live my memory like the Twin Towers and the Boxing Day Tsunami.

Yes, some people will be upset when HRH passes because she has been around, doing her job, for a very long time but I very much doubt that there will be an outpouring of grief on the scale of Diana's.  She was everything that they are not and she was loved because of it.
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 12:34:25 am »

It's going to be a sad day, indeed, I'm sure.  It is fascinating to see all that must be changed.  As for the Diana funeral vs HM's, Diana's life was cut short as well and left young children behind and with a seemingly full, active and engaged life ahead of her.

The Queen, to me, is the one admirable personage in the British monarchy system.  Not so great as a mom/grandmom/what have you but as a figurehead - impeccable.  We will never see the likes of it again in our lifetime. 

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 02:23:40 am »

I think HM's passing will have a considerable affect - it will surely signify the end of an era. So the grief people will feel won't just be for her but for what her generations passing means.  People's sense of personal identity is wrapped up in their sense of nationality and the Queen has signified Britain for several generations - there will be a sense of enormous loss and even some confusion in that there will be uncertainty and change.  But the sort of shock and even hysteria that was seen after Di's death is I think unlikely.   HM would find that sort of thing unseemly - LOL.

I very much hope the Queen will not suffer from a long illness or slide into senesance.  She is remarkably energetic now for one her age and I hope she can keep that. 

Diaphenous
courtier

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 11:11:01 am »

^^  I agree with you Yooper, we will never see the likes of her again and you cannot criticise her work ethic and sense of decorum.  Most people do not like or are frightened of change and I include myself in that.  Unfortunately, that generation has all but disappeared.  Today's society all around the world seems to have deteriorated and moral values, pride in working hard and accomplishment through hard work have been eroded from the top to the bottom of society.  An example of that is our constant criticism of the Cambridges.  It will be very interesting to see what happens in the UK because a lot of people appear to feel that the alternatives do not measure up.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 03:37:26 pm »

I think the issue of her death will be more along the lines of just being used to her being there. With Diana, Diana took us along for the ride and let us in on the fun, who opened doors and to be honest, HM closed them after Diana died. Everyone respects HM, but there will be a kind of knowledge that HM was able to lead a full life, but kept putting people in their place, not bringing them along for the ride.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
KGap
courtier

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 04:51:10 pm »

The hysteria around Diana was unprecedented, I don't think anyone could've imagined she would be gone, so suddenly and so young.

It's difficult to imagine the queen not being there. She symbolizes the history, tradition, and stability of GB. It will be a monumental loss.

I think Charles will be a good king, but very much in his mother's long shadow. He'll be there, I am not sure he'll be as embraced in that role. I think they better choose Camilla's title very carefully. That will be a deal breaker for some people depending on what they decide.

After him...  nervous nervous  nervous

God Save the Queen!
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 07:27:35 pm »

I think so many things will change once HM departs this earth.  There is a lot of info out there, held by people in high places,  that they will not release whilst she is alive, but once she is gone many think it will be a whole different ball game.  Very few have respect for chucky and camzilla, and zero respect for the lazy duo.  About the only one people seem to favour is Prince Harry, and he is not without problems.  A lot of things are contained out of respect for HM, but that dies with her, and it will be interesting to see what crawls out of the woodwork, and there is plenty in that woodwork, that is for sure.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 02:29:39 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/mar/16/what-happens-when-queen-elizabeth-dies-london-bridge

Very good article on what will happen when she dies and even what is going on right now

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:19 pm »

HM is going out on her own high note and leaving her family in the dust to fend for themselves. HM is worried about her own glory, no one else.

While HM has been steady, she's been weak in a lot of areas; I think King Charles will actually get his family in line and frankly it'll be refreshing.

india
Princess

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 11:26:20 pm »

Yes, it will be quite refreshing. And I hope he does get them in line especially The Dork and His Potato Head Strumpet.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 11:37:52 pm »

When I was watching the latest season of "The Royals," Robert came back and started taking action, first by arranging for Lenny and Jasper to end their relationship, fixing Lenny up with that Moroccan prince, and then firing that over-familiar chamberlain. He is thought of as a villain, but it is refreshing to see someone take charge and get rid of all the craziness. I didn't like Jaspenor and frankly it was toxic; Robert is actually tough and I hope Charles is the same, getting the rest of the family in line and making it clear that he won't tolerate challenges to his authority. He'll be able to deal decisively with Fergie, throw the Midds out, and get his crazy sons in line.

Operation London Bridge: the secret plan for the days after the Queen’s death

In the plans that exist for the death of the Queen – and there are many versions, held by Buckingham Palace, the government and the BBC – most envisage that she will die after a short illness. Her family and doctors will be there. When the Queen Mother passed away on the afternoon of Easter Saturday, in 2002, at the Royal Lodge in Windsor, she had time to telephone friends to say goodbye, and to give away some of her horses. In these last hours, the Queen’s senior doctor, a gastroenterologist named Professor Huw Thomas, will be in charge. He will look after his patient, control access to her room and consider what information should be made public. The bond between sovereign and subjects is a strange and mostly unknowable thing. A nation’s life becomes a person’s, and then the string must break.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/operation-london-bridge-the-secret-plan-for-the-days-after-the-queen%e2%80%99s-death/ar-BBycPZb?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

I wonder what it will be like once HM is gone. Charles will be on the currency and he'll be in charge of the RF.

Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 11:03:22 pm »

Diana's death was tragic and unexpected.  The Queen's death as an elderly person is expected.   People will mourn her, and the end of an era.  Many people will demand an end to the monarchy,  Charles is not wanted, especially with Camilla in tow.   The Queen is quite irreplaceable.

Whiffy Leaks
courtier

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 03:20:11 am »

I don't think realistically it will have much effect. Most people will probably just carry on as normal. You'll get your diehard royalists sobbing in the streets near the cameras probably but to most people it'll be a news article. No more, no less. And hopefully a bank holiday. It's a totally different world to when her father died. I do believe the Republican movement will become larger and more vocal.
And as a civil servant in my I'm aware that anything that needs to be changed will be done on a gradual basis. Nothing that can be used will be disposed of, new stock will only be produced as needed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:24:20 am by Whiffy Leaks » Logged
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 04:09:31 am »

^ I certainly don't think the death of the Queen after a reign lasting decades will be the subject of one article. There's likely to be national and international coverage for some time, at least until the funeral, including the lying in State. My guess is there's likely to be blanket coverage on TV and in newspapers for days, then petering off a bit, then more for the funeral. Months later the run up to the Coronation will begin and blanket coverage will begin again for that. There'll certainly be a run on stamps for the new reign IMO and a new issue..
Whiffy Leaks
courtier

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 04:34:41 am »

^oh gosh no, Rosella, I don't mean that. I mean that to a great many people (certainly just about everyone I know) it will be no more of a big deal than any other big news article. Probably less so.
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 10:48:49 am »

^^^  It won´t upset me at all.  I will feel sad she has gone and it is an end of an era, but that is that.  Things will change gradually, nothing happens overnight.  I also think, at this late stage in her life, much of what needs to be changed has already been planned and in place.  In truth, she could pass on any time now, she is nearly 91.  She has had a long reign, and she could have handed over to chucky quite a while back, she has chosen not to.  Many I have spoken to feel the same, end of an era, always sad when someone dies, but happens to us all in the end.  Everyone aware it is on the cards at some stage in the not too distant future.  Diana had her whole life before here, and it was a tragic end.  HM has had a good long life and will die of natural causes  -  vast difference between the two.  The world has also changed over the last 20 years.  A lot of the old sugars have passed on, the youngsters have their own lives, the monarchy is outdated.  Not to forget how many foreign people now living in the UK, via whatever means, and they will not be bothered about royalty, they will see all those millions spent on them as a waste of money, as many do, and could be put to other good uses.  The question I ask myself is this  -  exactly what do they do for us.  The bringing in tourism is a huge myth, generated no doubt by the rf, we don´t see them very often, they have downgraded to gutter level with bill medd, council cath, haza and murky marble (if he has the stupididtya to wed the critter) as the "future"  -  just how low do we want to go.  On that basis alone why would we want an rf full of people like that.  My answer is not, that is now that I want, in which case we might as well have a republic, no dearer than an rf and we can vote out if no good.  The rf are meant to be respected and admired, we do pay for them after all, but after HM a lot will change on that front with the current encumbents if they are still in place.  HM must know that, probably why she is not keen to stand down, just cut back on what she does.  Yup, big moves afoot, and they won´t be good for the rf is my honest opinion on it all.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: