Royal Gossip
September 22, 2017, 09:18:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles  (Read 3724 times)
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 11:10:38 pm »

I've just spent the morning at Falkland Palace in Fife, Scotland which was the home of a few Monarchs including Mary. 

I never knew they actually took their beds with them. And they are huge!

Plus all their tapestries too. They must have had a lot of staff to take everything with them.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2017, 01:03:10 am »

^ Yes, royalty and powerful aristocrats would spend several months at one palace or castle and then move on to another with their entire Household and majority of their servants in those days, taking their favourite beds, mattresses, bed hangings and chairs etc with them. There would be a huge long procession, wagons, pack horses and primitive coaches and litters.

They usually did this in the warmer months because of the state of the roads. The reason for the move would often be because the living quarters had become very uncomfortable and unhygienic and would start to stink. Food dropped on the straw on floors, fleas and beetles, lack of WC facilities meaning people using corridors and dark corners to go to the toilet, etc etc. While the household was away the servants that were left would give the place a thorough scrub and clean from top to bottom.
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2017, 12:40:26 pm »

^That makes sense.

I saw the "toilet facilities" in one of the Royal bedrooms and it was a hole in the floor (which went outside the palace itself) in a cubby hole (recess) in the palace wall which was hidden by a curtain. The smell would have been horrendous, especially if you missed the hole in the middle of the night. Or had the runs. (diarrhoea).

And the lighting would have been a bit hit and miss too. So it would be easy to miss your target.  fan fan you'd definitely need this big time!  easter-lol

I'm so glad I live in this century.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2017, 05:00:36 am »

I often wonder how different things would have been if in fact Mary had renounced any claim to Elizabeth's throne; there wouldn't have been any kind of quarrel and it likely would not have escalated the way that it did. Almost every single mess in Mary's life was a result of that determined claim.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2017, 03:42:06 am »

Mary's son James VI would still have become James I of England.   Many saw Elizabeth as illegitimate, since they also saw Catherine of Aragon as the only wife of Henry VIII, until after she died, than they saw Jane Seymour as Henry's wife.   Anne Boleyn was seen by many as a mistress nothing more.

leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2017, 06:20:42 am »

Well, Henry had to break away from the Catholic Church and change the rules in order to divorce his wife. Many faithful Catholics across England and Europe did not accept him leaving a good wife and breaking up a lawful, valid marriage. One cannot have two living wives at the same time. Some even gave their lives as martyrs because they would not accept Henry as head of the church in England. St John Fisher. St Thomas More. Accept him as king and head of state? Of course. But not over the church. And then Henry annulled his marriage to Anne after she failed to give him a son on the basis that he had previously slept with her sister, meaning the marriage was never valid to begin with. Like he forgot he slept with her sister when he married her? Didn't he give himself a dispensation for that? Very sketchy all around.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2017, 06:44:39 am »

Henry had a very adaptable conscience and I think Elizabeth inherited it. Elizabeth destabilized Scotland while Mary was there and basically left Mary, a Sovereign Queen, unable to deal with her nobility.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2017, 07:26:36 am »

Mary was well aware of her nobility,  she was the Queen of Scotland and a direct descendant of Henry VII and his daughter Margaret Tudor.  Elizabeth interfered and undermined her every step of the way, not least because Elizabeth was unsure of her nobility and position as "bastard" daughter of Henry VIII.  Elizabeth had a fatal flaw .. she was vain and jealous of her cousin.

FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2017, 02:13:59 am »

When Queen Mary was widowed at the demise of her first husband, King Francis II, she spent her period of strict mourning with her grandmother Antoinette.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2017, 03:13:22 am »

Mary was well aware of her nobility,  she was the Queen of Scotland and a direct descendant of Henry VII and his daughter Margaret Tudor.

I meant the aristocrats in Scotland who basically undermined her (Mary) every chance she got. The Scottish nobility, the powerful lords who should have been obedient and should have serving her and Scotland, not Elizabeth's schemes.

Elizabeth interfered and undermined her every step of the way, not least because Elizabeth was unsure of her nobility and position as "bastard" daughter of Henry VIII.  Elizabeth had a fatal flaw .. she was vain and jealous of her cousin.

This is what I don't get; Elizabeth should have NEVER paid for treason against Mary and never should have been surprised that Mary did the same once she was imprisoned.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: