Royal Gossip
May 24, 2017, 03:06:08 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Richard III  (Read 4337 times)
HC
Countess

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 03:29:24 pm »

Henry was the one who got the benefit of killing the princes. At the time the two princes was considered to be legitimate as was Elizabeth. He chose to get his hold to the throne though the legitimacy of Elizabeth. But if she was legitimate the princes had to die because they would then steal the throne from him and his wife. If he chose to consider them to be illegitimate his wife was illegitimate too - and he would then have no acces to the throne.

Richard on the other hand could say they were illegitimate and then get acces to the throne and didn't have to kill them. And he could also claim they were legitimate and rule on their behalf in  dozen of years. He was the only one that didn't have to kill them.
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »

^

Good theory but he would have been killing his wifes brother's. I suppose though they did not care in those days about relatives when it came down to ambition.

Richard did a lot of good and was well though of in the North so the killing of his nephews was out of character. I do wonder if one of his followers took it on themselves to dispense with the princes.
berlin
Countess

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 03:59:05 pm »

I hope there will be a royal representative at the reburial.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 04:57:29 pm »

I also hope they do. I've read that he is going to be buried in Leicester cathedral but that's Church of England no? Richard was catholic   huh

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 06:03:53 pm »

^
He wanted to be buried in York so it should be York Minster. I think that the Yorks should go as they represent York.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2013, 06:07:42 pm »

In the DM it is said that the mayor of Leicester is against moving him from the town and the MPs have decided that he should stay. Some thought he should be buried in Westminster but nothing came from that.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 11:03:55 pm »

^ Everyone was Catholic before Henry VIII and all the great cathedrals - York, Canterbury etc were originally Catholic places of worship so it's a moot point I suppose.

The other place it was argued he should be buried was at Worksop in Nottinghamshire which claims to have been half way between Leicester and York but it turned out to be a joke by Worksop MP John Mann.

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Bury-Richard-III-Leicester-York-Worksop/story-17180461-detail/story.html

Personally I think there are good reasons for keeping him in Leicester not only has the university been at the forefront of the archeological work but it's close to Bosworth battlefield and so could become a great centre for Richard III and reasserting the city's historic origins and place in English history in the face of its ethnic mix which is Pakistani and Banglasdeshi immigrants now the majority population. I may be wrong but I see the council has already bought the old grammar school next to the cathedral to convert into a vistor's centre.

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Cressida
Baroness

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 11:12:18 pm »

The programme tonight was completely fascinating. And how wonderful to be able to look at Richard IIIs face! He looks a lot more and gentle and young than his portraits show (although they were all altered by the Tudors)

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:24 am »

https://o.twimg.com/1/proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBheaHR0cDovLzI0Lm1lZGlhLnR1bWJsci5jb20vOTI5YTJhOTMxZjM0OTRlYjQzMDM2ZTViNjllOGQxYmQvdHVtYmxyX21ocHc3MDF0Q24xcWZnNG95bzFfNTAwLnBuZxQCFgASAA&s=3cNOpWMQbKVI_jn67YcTVS3XUXU98rdhRI0tXVPgPk8
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:55 am »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2273703/The-face-Richard-III-Reconstruction-reveals-slain-king-500-years-killed-battle.html#axzz2K1YdfCFk
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »

He looks a bit better then the paintings but you still recognise him
Cool thumbsup

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 12:48:31 pm »

^

He is really quite attractive in the reconstruction. He was only 32 years old when he died in battle. One year older than Kate. I really hope that his body goes back to Yorkshire. Leicester University have done a great job but he is not a piece of treasure trove to be turned into a tourist attraction.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:15 pm »

Great twitter joke doing the rounds

The remains of Richard III have been seen leaving a nightclub with Pippa Middleton!

Well a king's a king even after 500 years underground.

This is true a camping shop in Leicester put a notice in it's sale window yesterday saying:

"Now is the winter of our discount tents!"

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 05:06:19 pm »

Hmm. I wonder if he ever found that horse?  easter-lol Time for a proper burial. Now if I can stop thinking about a counting crows song...*sings* "They paved paradise. Just to put up a parking lot."  easter-lol

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2013, 05:39:54 pm »

I am pleased they found Richard III's remains and can eventually bury him properly.

Henry was the one who got the benefit of killing the princes. At the time the two princes was considered to be legitimate as was Elizabeth. He chose to get his hold to the throne though the legitimacy of Elizabeth. But if she was legitimate the princes had to die because they would then steal the throne from him and his wife. If he chose to consider them to be illegitimate his wife was illegitimate too - and he would then have no acces to the throne.

Richard on the other hand could say they were illegitimate and then get acces to the throne and didn't have to kill them. And he could also claim they were legitimate and rule on their behalf in  dozen of years. He was the only one that didn't have to kill them.

Indeed.  The popular opinion at the time was that Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville's marriage was invaild and the boys were illegitimate.  That was due to Eleanor Talbot (a woman Edward IV was accused of marrying before Elizabeth Woodville) and the Woodvilles going power crazy which made them many enemies.  The boys did not need to be dead to give Richard III support to be King, he already had it.  Richard III also loved his brother, and Edward IV left the boys in Richard's care so clearly they were no threat.  The person who stood to gain in their deaths was Henry VII.  Both he and Henry VIII were instrumental in wiping out and controling any Plantagenet claim left after the War of the Roses.
berlin
Countess

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:37 am »

Wow he was quite handsome.  I wonder if there will be a re-investigation in his role in the Tower Princes' deaths. 
memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2013, 12:11:43 am »

he was quite handsome  flirt

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

Acornia
Countess

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2013, 01:03:14 am »

^ Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so!
memyselfandroyals
Countess

Good and bad things return

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2013, 01:23:08 am »

Cool laugh  hug

All my comments/posts are only assumptions, thoughts and belifs. I don't make affirmations about facts i don't know about.

berlin
Countess

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »

Me three!  I guess if you guys think the same I'm not as weird as I feared.    tehe

Anyway, I was reading in Royalty that the current Duke of Gloucester, Richard, is the patron of the Richard III society, so we can at least expect to see him at the funeral, hopefully.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: