Royal Gossip
September 24, 2017, 05:51:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: King Richard III  (Read 5327 times)
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« on: August 29, 2012, 10:14:07 pm »

Digging for dirt on the Hunchback King

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9497082/Digging-for-dirt-on-the-Hunchback-King.html

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 05:26:20 pm »

Underneath a car park in Leicester. It really is quite shocking how such historical places could just be shoved under a car park although it was a friary and must have been thoroughly trashed by Henry VIII when he dissolved the monasteries but even so.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/news/blog/2012/september/search-for-richard-iii-confirms-they-have-located-the-long-lost-church-of-the-grey-friars

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
HC
Countess

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50:34 pm »

Was he the one in need of a horse - and now he has a carpark?!
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »

Human remains found in Leicester car park DO belong to Richard III... but scientists are holding back findings until Channel Four documentary is aired, claims insider

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2248448/Human-remains-Leicester-car-park-DO-belong-Richard-III--scientists-holding-findings-Channel-Four-documentary-aired-claims-insider.html

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 12:20:08 pm »

Results of the tests on the skeleton found in a car park in Leicester and thought to be Richard 111. Channel 4 Monday 4th February 9pm GMT. Saw the trailer and the skeleton has curvature of the spine so it's looking likely.   

http://Http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park

Looking forward to this programme as this is a fasinating king who has been much maligned in British History. He fought Henry Tudor at the Battle of Bosworth Field and lost. Said the famous words " a horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse". Allegedly killed the Princes in the Tower.

Freya
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 12:43:29 pm »

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/richard-iii-the-king-in-the-car-park

Link on the first post does not seem to be working. I wonder if the remains are of Richard 111 where he will be buried?
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:47:43 pm »

dang! sounds fascinating sigh (history geek remember)
pity i won't be able to see it! thumbsdown

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 03:03:03 pm »

ehem yes you can if you find a online site that let's you stream channel 4

YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 04:01:02 pm »

yeah well even then I have work untill 10 in the eve on monday so... thumbsdown
It starts at 10 pm (gmt+1) so by the time I get home at 11 I've missed like a full hour or perhaps all of it sob
Maybe I can see a vid later on in YT

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 04:22:47 pm »

^

For the people not familiar with the area, Leicester is not far from Market Bosworth where the battle took place.

I walked the battlefield at Bosworth and what surprised me was that during the battle there were groups of nobles that stood on the sidelines waiting to see which side was winning and then joined the winning side. I guess that Richard would not have stood a chance when these nobles (Stanley's from memory) came down on the side of Henry Tudor.

It will be interesting to see whether the reconstruction of the face is like his portrait. They can do amazing things now to reconstruct the face from a skeleton.

http://i.bnet.com/blogs/richard-iii.jpg

Battle of Bosworth field was the battle that ended the Wars of the Roses and the start of the Tudor dynasty. Henry V11 married Elizabeth of York who was Richard 111's niece.

I am taking it for granted that it is Richard as he has a bent back and a head injury. king

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:30:22 pm by Freya » Logged
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 04:39:07 pm »

I couple of further pieces of useless information.

The White Boar Society are a group that believe Richard was not as black as he was painted and that the allegations are Tudor spin. Shakespeare portrayed him as a dark character that murdered the Princes in the Tower.

Richard of York gains battle in vain is a saying used to remember the order and colours of the rainbow. Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.

HC
Countess

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 02:35:42 pm »

I want to know who killed the two princes in the tower.

I read some book that Richard had no benefit from killing the two princes. The only one that would benefit from their death was Henry V11 and his wife Elizabeth of York.

The thought of Elizabth killing her younger brothers is horrific.

But Henry would benefit because he by marriage to Elizabeth got a legitimate claim on the throne - and the only one that came in the way for him - was Elizabeths younger brothers.
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 02:51:55 pm »

Last night was Richard 111 night in view of the programme on Monday. There was a programme that examined the candidates for the murder of the Princes. There are a number of theories.

Richard killed the princes because his brother Edward did not have a legitimate claim to the throne and therefore neither did his sons. Richard was perpetuating the true line. Edward was thought to be the son of a French archer. The Queen had a bit of rough.

Henry killed the princes as they had a better claim but they would have to still be alive when Henry came to London.

Henry's mother Margaret Beaufort was a piece of work but she would not have access to the tower.

No one really knows that they were murdered.  There is also a theory that the younger prince Richard survived.

Freya
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 03:58:56 pm »

^
The archer was English at the Garrison in Rouen.

http://www.minorheresies.com/posts/2012/11/26/the-archer-of-rouen.html
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »

If the youngest survived what was supposed to happen to him?

HC
Countess

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2013, 04:34:50 pm »

Last night was Richard 111 night in view of the programme on Monday. There was a programme that examined the candidates for the murder of the Princes. There are a number of theories.

Richard killed the princes because his brother Edward did not have a legitimate claim to the throne and therefore neither did his sons. Richard was perpetuating the true line. Edward was thought to be the son of a French archer. The Queen had a bit of rough.

Henry killed the princes as they had a better claim but they would have to still be alive when Henry came to London.

Henry's mother Margaret Beaufort was a piece of work but she would not have access to the tower.

No one really knows that they were murdered.  There is also a theory that the younger prince Richard survived.

That argument goes both ways. If the two princes was not "legitimate" this is yet another argument why Richard III didn't kill them.
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2013, 04:45:14 pm »

^
In the programmes that were on last night they showed how the Tudors had doctored the portraits of Richard 111 to make him look more evil and hunch backed. Shakespeare made him out to be a physcopathic monster. It was all part of the Tudor spin.

It will be interesting to see what his real face looks like.
True Brit
Duchess

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »

I watched Tony Robinson's programme and it was fascinating but it really all kicked off in the last ten minutes with the revelations in the prayer book at Rouen Cathedral and the hard evidence that Edward was illegitimate and thus had no claim to the throne.

Who killed the young princes - it really does seem it was Richard III but not because he was an evil so and so but he had to be pragmatic in those days and could not risk either of the boys coming back one day to attempt to claim the throne. It's unlikely he did the dirty deed himself.

I guess if we're taking the view of it being a 15th century version of the Godfather the mistake was not "taking out" the entire family as Edward's daughter was promptly married off to Henry Tudor to legitimise his claim but, of course, she was illegitimate too.

And tomorrow we get the results of the PM on the remains found under the Leicester car park

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9836709/Richard-III-tests-on-skeleton-could-rewrite-history-books-says-lead-scientist.html

" Kate, Pippa and Carole Middleton seen at Manolo Blahnik today.. overheard asking if they carried shoes for cloven hooves. "
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 12:06:37 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2273164/Richard-III-Scientists-reveal-DNA-results-confirm-kings-body-car-park-Leicester.html#comments

It is Richard. Look at the spine curvature and he led an army into battle? Amazing. king
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 01:42:01 pm »

Just as a matter of interest Princess Eugenie has the same condition as Richard 111.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-158124/Eugenie-hunchback-says-mother.html#axzz2JwBjovjC
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: