Royal Gossip
July 27, 2017, 01:42:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria & Prince Albert  (Read 4446 times)
Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:56 pm »

http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/blogs/regicide-how-victoria-survived-seven-assassination-attempts-part-one-24449

Part 1

When you think of the Victorian era, you often think of Dickenzian London, with its back-alleys, opium dens, brothels, corrupt aristocrats and shady characters. Perhaps there is some truth in this perception, Dickens being a social commentator of the age; this image is also reflected in the fact that Queen Victoria survived seven assassination attempts
Dasher
courtier

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:06 am »

She was obviously popular, always a problem when the people start seeing through the Matriarch Guelph!  eating cookies
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:14:43 am by Dasher » Logged
india
Princess

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2014, 10:09:11 pm »

That's a good thing.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2014, 10:54:31 am »

Sounds intriguing cate1949.  If only our modern leaders were as prescient!

Gladstone? Talks too much. Babies? Disgusting... Queen Victoria attacked everyone from her PM to her son in her letters

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2569323/Queen-Victoria-book-reviewed-Craig-Brown-Gladstone-Talks-Babies-Disgusting-Queen-Victoria-attacked-PM-son-letters.html#ixzz2uqYXKoYB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Personally I love Victoria ... she was funny and a Great Queen if you ask me ... if only Liz had her balls ...
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2014, 08:16:17 pm »

Queen Victoria slept in same bed as her servant John Brown but they didn't have sex, claims top historian

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2836582/Queen-Victoria-slept-bed-servant-John-Brown-didn-t-sex-claims-historian.html#ixzz3JSACLLPp

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HC
Countess

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2014, 07:41:59 pm »

Oh how interesting. Not so Victorian after all.

I'm thinking if they bothered to get married, then they might also bother to kiss and what else....
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2014, 09:03:29 pm »

Well Victoria was famous for not being very victorian at all...

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
HC
Countess

« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2014, 09:30:55 pm »

The number of children indicates a love for children or a healthy appetite ....
YooperModerator
Super Moderator

« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2014, 11:14:55 pm »

I've got a lot of reading to do on Victoria because my new friend in Ireland absolutely detests her.

\\\"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.\\\"  Thomas Jefferson
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2014, 11:42:39 pm »

I read a bio of her from the early 1900's and though more sweet than anything she seemed quite stupid.

This blog has a bit about her sex life

http://blogs.canoe.ca/parker/news/sex-secrets-of-the-royals-part-4-queen-victoria/

HC
Countess

« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2014, 12:45:30 pm »

I would say she really liked mr. Brown. A bit of an understatement here.
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2016, 06:28:04 pm »

In her last yearly migration to the Hotel Excelsior Regina at Cimiez near Nice Queen Victoria travelled as the Comtesse de Balmoral.   announcement announcement announcement
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »

^Yes  Embarrassed I don't know how that happen it was suppose to be this article   No worries. It happens.  Edited/removed dupe article.  YM

Overweight and rather whiffy, the REAL young Victoria: New book claims Lord Melbourne dropped hints to the monarch about her personal hygiene and gave her slimming tips

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4134418/Overweight-whiffy-REAL-young-Victoria.html#ixzz4WDelJFch
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:04:50 pm by YooperModerator » Logged

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2017, 12:14:22 am »

So would this be after her husband died, or before?

Thanks folks. She might have found it hard after her husband died and started to neglect herself.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2017, 05:35:04 am »

The period of Queen Victoria neglecting personal hygiene and becoming overweight for a while occurred during the time between her becoming Queen in 1837 and marrying Albert early in 1840. Lord Melbourne was Vicky's first Prime Minister.

The time the article refers to was when she was young and single, but had had a rough few months. There had been a scandal involving one of her mother's attendants (Maids of Honour.) Victoria, for lots of reasons wasn't close to her mother at this time, and when Lady Flora Hastings, her mother's Maid of Honour, started getting a swollen stomach Victoria delighted in helping to spread false rumours around the Court about a pregnancy, rumours she apparently believed. In fact Lady Flora died shortly afterwards of liver disease, but there was the most almighty scandal because of the false rumours which had tormented her, and Queen Victoria was blamed for it.

In those days after a Prime Minister had lost an election it was a tradition that the new administration would bring in new Ladies and Gentlemen of the Court, to replace the old. Queen Victoria kicked up a stink and refused to part with any of her Ladies of the Bedchamber, or in fact Lord Melbourne on whom she'd grown to rely. Robert Peel, the new Prime Minister, gallantly withdrew because of the Queen's objections, and Melbourne and her Ladies stayed on.

However, both these scandals hurt Queen Victoria's reputation. She had come to the throne being regarded as a young, sweet and innocent young girl. Now her more spoiled and scandal-mongering side had been shown up and she lost popularity for a while because of it. She became a bit depressed, started comfort-eating and put on weight, and often couldn't be bothered to wash or change her underwear, hence the BO. She even became snappy with Lord M. However, she did come out of it, slimmed down a bit, met her cousin Albert and became engaged.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:37:02 am by Rosella » Logged
Stormborn
royal watcher

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2017, 02:03:44 pm »

Wow, this has got to be my largest chunk of insight for today. This board is so nice; I always leave with something more.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2017, 02:29:52 pm »

Oooh I did not know about this. About the PM yes but not about the hygiene problem.

She did seem like the perfect woman but at the end of they she was quite human but also very prejudiced. She was probably not well educated to be a good queen.

Little light
Baroness

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2017, 02:40:26 pm »

^^^

Thank you Rosella. I didn't know this either. I know what Lord Melbourne was her PM and adviser, but not her health problems.

So thank you.  thankyou
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2017, 09:29:43 pm »

For his daughter Princess Victoria's coming out, Prince Albert designed her dress.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2017, 07:25:52 am »

Victoria was a woman of passion.  She loved Albert very much, but treated him quite badly in the beginning.  She loved the sexual side of her marriage, but was not mad about babies, in fact she resented them.  Melbourne was her schoolgirl crush.  Brown was her fondest companion, then came the Munchi.. she was popular and unpopular at various times.  Victoria was not a racist, but she was a sexist.  Her education had been neglected thanks to her silly mother.  She loved to laugh and she loved to boss everyone around.  She was a complicated woman, but who isn't. ?   Yes her weight and hygiene were an issue for a short time, later on with each child she gained weight and never lost it. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: