Royal Gossip
March 27, 2019, 03:31:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria & Prince Albert  (Read 16988 times)
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2014, 04:36:19 am »

Used to seeing her looking maniac depressive, but the children, my they all look so glum.  bored3
Look at what Albert thought about her mothering.
In one letter to her, he wrote:  'It is a pity you find no consolation in the company of your children. The trouble lies  in the mistaken notion the function of a mother is to be always correcting, scolding and ordering them about.'

Albert her husband said that to her?  Geez  -
RoyalWatcher
Baroness

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »

since he was there...he's probably right.

Such a shame that he died so young.  It clearly looked like his kids were miserable with their mother.  Good thing that they had nannies who hopefully loved them.
Dasher
courtier

« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2014, 01:08:18 am »

since he was there...he's probably right.

Such a shame that he died so young.  It clearly looked like his kids were miserable with their mother.  Good thing that they had nannies who hopefully loved them.

Supposedly from typhoid fever, but some say that he was poisoned off.  huh
First reason that he was not the natural father of Queen Vic's 9 children and when they grew up the lack of resemblance would pose a problem and secondly that he was a homosexual and that might lead to one too many scandals.
Strange lot of it as he had a piercing on his wiggly bit, which in those days would have been considered more than odd.
Jane23
Princess

« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2014, 08:33:04 am »

I love Albert and I think that things would have been better for his family had he lived  bye ...
Queen of the Hill
courtier

Harry-ite #29

« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2014, 11:41:21 pm »

Strange lot of it as he had a piercing on his wiggly bit, which in those days would have been considered more than odd.

Whot!!!!  huh I was totally out of the loop on that one...   Lips Sealed

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps, down new roads, armed with nothing but their own vision."

Ayn Rand
Royal Lowness
Baroness

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2014, 02:09:48 am »

Would be considered "more than odd" even today, I should think.  Shocked

I did a quick search and apparently that's right. This 'attachment' even bears his name, being called "an Albert."

Good Lord, I hope John Brown didn't have to be mutilated with one as well.  blink

Perhaps it's time for Henry IX and
The House of Hewitt ?
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2014, 02:49:37 am »

amazing - never knew Albert had a pierced wiggly - no wonder  Vickie was so distraught after his death!

Victorians never cease to amaze.

She really was an awful mother - had no interest in her kids especially after she had a few - just handed them over to the nannies.  But then again - her own upbringing was so bizarre with that mother of hers.

cate1949
Princess

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2014, 02:57:12 am »

Albert wasn't pierced - it is an urban myth - the fashion then was very tight in the crotch pants and so well endowed fashionable men of the time used a ring and a light chain to "fasten" their member to one particular side - hence the reason a tailor will ask a man which side he "dresses" on.  So it seems Albert used such a ring and chain but was not pierced.

Ah well - should have known Vickie would not have gone for that.  Plus Albert was a prude too.
Vesper
Countess

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2014, 02:58:29 am »

Umm, dumb question: by "his wiggly bit" we mean penis, right?  sorry but sometimes there are limits to my imagination.

Ah well - should have known Vickie would not have gone for that.  Plus Albert was a prude too.

tehe
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:01:45 am by Vesper » Logged
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:25 am »

I about spit out my drink reading your post Vesper wasn't expecting to be reading that  laugh

yes that's what it means easter-lol  flower not laughing at you btw   hug
Vesper
Countess

« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 03:04:09 am »

^ tehe I can be too literal sometimes, I know...
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 04:28:51 am »

Vesper - I was trying to be discrete by saying "member" and "wiggly bit" - this is after all a post about Victorians! easter-lol
Vesper
Countess

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 08:28:05 pm »

^ I know... They were a bunch of liars... You know behind closed doors, they were freaks. easter-lol
Dasher
courtier

« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2014, 10:32:50 pm »

Albert wasn't pierced - it is an urban myth - the fashion then was very tight in the crotch pants and so well endowed fashionable men of the time used a ring and a light chain to "fasten" their member to one particular side - hence the reason a tailor will ask a man which side he "dresses" on.  So it seems Albert used such a ring and chain but was not pierced.

You are correct regarding the tailor 'asking a man which side he "dresses" on. Tailors of the day referred to it as a “dressing ring” and had to ask their clients if they dressed to the left or the right.
However, he decided to solve his poking problem by piercing the tip and attaching it to a hook in his pants so it would stay. Ouch!  Shocked
The gossip rag mags (nothing much seems to have changed) of the times found out the Prince was pricked, and that's why they dubbed the dubious ornament in his honor.
I certainly don't think it was a myth, also there was a paper about body piercing in The Lancet in 2003 (Apr 5; 361(9364)) which claimed the story about Prince Albert as true. Its source was an earlier German paper - but that German paper does not provide any sources dated earlier than 1970. The German media were always very interested regarding news and gossip about their German Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Regarding Albert's wobbly bit, ahem, probably the origin of the slang term  'family jewels'? Embarrassed

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 10:41:19 pm by Dasher » Logged
Royal Lowness
Baroness

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2014, 12:55:41 am »

goodpost

Anyway, after they poisoned him off, they probably sold that bit for scrap metal.

Perhaps it's time for Henry IX and
The House of Hewitt ?
Dasher
courtier

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2014, 11:26:06 pm »

Oh, I see the poor woman was in mourning, but she had a lover. That's not mourning, besides the black garb might have been to get more sympathy, whilst the poor, wretched, overworked, Victorian urchins, (children) often with no food in their bellies, went bare foot to work and were lucky not to die of hypothermia as the work place was so cold.  Angry
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2014, 11:49:59 pm »

I have been reading on WWI lately and just finished an absolutely great and fascinating book - King Kaiser Tsar - strongly recommend it.  The book makes much use of the letters that were constantly being exchanged by all these people in this very connected royal family.  Victoria features prominently in the book and there are many quotes from her letters and journal entries (they all kept journals in those days).  I have a completely different view of Victoria since reading this - especially since being exposed to her ideas in her own words.

Prince Albert really was quite a remarkable man - very progressive and idealistic.  She  relied on him enormously not just as a wife but as Queen.  He really shaped her view of the world and the two of them had this plan - for world peace - because he and therefore then she - really did see how industrialization was changing the world - and that the autocratic rulers of Russia, Germany, the Hapsburgs, the Ottomans etc - were all in danger as well as being a danger - Albert and she believed that if they would adopt the English model of liberal constitutional rule that this would stop the revolutions and violence that the two of them saw coming and all these daughters they married out were trained to influence their King husbands towards these liberal ideas.  Facing the pressures of her monarchy without him was daunting to her.  Yes she did over do the mourning thing - but she clearly was devoted to him and his memory.

I do not have the book with me so I cannot quote it - but - Victoria despised most of the aristocracy - she thought they were oblivious, stupid, useless  and decadent - that they did not understand how the world was changing and the danger they were in - she was completely opposed to her grand-daughter Alix marriage to the Tsar because she saw what was coming in Russia and did not want her grand daughter to be in such danger.  She admired the industry and intelligence of the working and middle class - and had no use for snobbery or prejudice -

her letters to her adult children especially her daughter Vicky are so interesting in  t hat she can say what she really thinks in them -really eye opening.  Of course - her plans failed and the horror of WWI was the result.  Just as she and Albert saw....
berlin
Countess

« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2014, 10:26:52 pm »

Sounds intriguing cate1949.  If only our modern leaders were as prescient!

Gladstone? Talks too much. Babies? Disgusting... Queen Victoria attacked everyone from her PM to her son in her letters

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2569323/Queen-Victoria-book-reviewed-Craig-Brown-Gladstone-Talks-Babies-Disgusting-Queen-Victoria-attacked-PM-son-letters.html#ixzz2uqYXKoYB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2014, 11:20:54 pm »

^ she took the long view - our current leaders do not - they are only interested in the next election

She is very affectionate in her letters to her daughters - and Bertie really was disgraceful in his affairs with women - but he actually understood what people wanted in a King - the current crop would do well to study him - he was - despite his adventures - quite a popular King
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2014, 04:03:36 pm »

That book sounds so good. But from what I read about her she didn't seem so intelligent.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: