Royal Gossip
May 24, 2017, 03:11:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George VI & Queen Elizabeth  (Read 3796 times)
quo
gossip insider

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »

Haha...don't forget hip flask at the ready and the obligatory feathery hat laugh
Dasher
courtier

« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2014, 08:01:54 pm »

Not sure if this is the right place to start a new thread on Elizabeth Bowes Lyon, but I presume it will be moved to the correct category if it isn't.  huh

Was she the surrogate daughter of the cook, an ‘attractive and pleasant Frenchwoman’ called Marguerite Rodiere, hence the nickname 'Cookie', this snippet certainly raises questions in my mind. No smoke without fire as they say.

"Glamis Castle Scotland. The Bowes Lyons ancestral home. The Queen Mum was brought up, lived and died, surrounded by unctuous servants. Her father, the Earl of Strathmore, owned two castles and three hunting estates. Nobody really knows where the Queen Mum was born. Or indeed who she really was. After her first official appearance, on one of the Strathmore English estates, it was said, she was her father’s illegitimate child to a Glamis Castle housemaid – secretly adopted a month after the Countess of Strathmore lost the child she was carrying.
The Earl was fined seven-shilling-and-sixpence for not registering her birth (Not reporting a birth was a jailable offence but members of the Bar used to shoot on the Earl's estates). The Earl told the Court he was busy with the deer shoot when his wife went to London to have the child. He assumed his wife's staff had registered the birth. According to the Earl she was born on his Hertfordshire estate. Parish Records refute this. Likewise the local Hertfordshire press, carrying little else but society events, births, deaths and marriages makes no mention of the Countess’s happy event - which would have been front page news.

Friend’s of the Countess claimed the child was born in Bickerstaff Mansions, opposite Baker Street Station. Society gossips claimed she was born in a Harley Street Clinic. In both case’s it was alleged the Countess was holding the hand of the real mother - the housemaid - who signed the child over to the Countess a month later, days before the house maid and her husband sailed for America.
On one occasion the Queen Mum told a biographer she was born in a London ambulance. But that was reported as her way of saying she neither knew nor cared. Proving her actual birthplace is as unlikely now as proving her real mother. The royal family's re-writers have done their usual job shredding-job of the Strathmore family correspondence. The truth was buried long before she was.  On the bright side. The truth about the real father's of Prince Andy Pandy and Princess Edwina can now be found in your local library.    see. The Royal Marriages, Smyth Gryphon. Lady Colin Campbell  and Queen Elizabeth 2… not amused.  Carol Publishing Group.  Nicholas Davies and Prince Philip, a critical biography.  Sidgwick & Jackson.  John  Parker  &  Elizabeth, Mandarin Books. Sarah Bradford.

cate1949
Princess

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2014, 11:54:13 pm »

Lady Colin Campbeel retracted some of the htings she wroten that book later - I'll have to find it -
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2014, 08:47:40 pm »

Sorry for dragging up a really old thread, but during the William and Kate in New York one, the subject of King George V and his education came up. As it became off topic in that thread I've posted in this.

Harold Nicholson, the diplomat, was King George V's official biographer. The biography came out in 1952. It was Nicholson who grumbled to his publishers that he could find little to write about during the time when the Duke of York was the heir to the heir. "He was all right as the young midshipman and  then as the wise old King...but as Duke of York he did little besides stick in stamps and shoot birds..'

It's quite a well-known anecdote of Nicholson's though it obviously doesn't appear in the official biography.
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2014, 04:18:52 am »

The monarchy survives thanks to George VI

This is an iconoclastic age. Every hallowed institution is the subject of examination, criticism, frequently derision. The House of Lords, the Church of England, even the MCC have been subjected to merciless criticism. They’re deemed wanting just because they are there and have been there for centuries, even millennia. Of all such establishments, none seems a more obvious target than the British monarchy. By all the rules it should by now have been derided and probably discarded as a superannuated irrelevance. Instead, it is as secure, even perhaps more secure, than at any point since the advent of the Stuarts more than 400 years ago.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/11291385/The-monarchy-survives-thanks-to-George-VI.html

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Every praise is not good and every criticism is not evil..!
Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2014, 04:48:00 pm »

Royal family's fury after new book claims the Queen Mother was 'insane and inebriated' during final years of her life
The Queen Mother was 'insane and inebriated' during final years

Allegations were made in a biography of her steward William Tallon
Mr Tallon, who died in 2007, worked for the Queen Mother for 50 years
He was left devastated when the Queen Mother died aged 101 in 2002
Margaret Rhodes, the Queen's cousin, has described claims as 'nonsense'

An explosive new book has claimed that the Queen Mother was 'insane and inebriated' during the final 20 years of her life.
The book, a biography of the Queen Mother's steward William Tallon, also makes a number of allegations about the rest of the royal family, including accusations of drunkenness and swearing.
But courtiers have hit back, with the Queen's cousin Margaret Rhodes, a former lady-in-waiting herself, describing the book as 'disgusting' and 'nonsense'.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2889069/Royals-left-furious-new-book-claims-Queen-Mother-insane-inebriated-final-years-life.html

NEVER *despise* correction,for those who correct you ,truly LOVE you .They are willing to displease you and possibly lose your friendship ,rather than see you destroyed. Those who *despise* you ,on the other hand ,will allow you to FAIL...because what do they care ?

Fly on the wall
Princess

Lady of Threads

« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2015, 07:12:05 pm »

Queen Mother's footman 'was groped by royal aides' on his first day in the job

Police have probed claims that a royal footman fled the Queen Mother’s home in tears after four senior Palace aides tried to force him into a sex orgy on his first day in the job.

Christopher Lawler told the Sunday People a frightening attack took place after he innocently went into a bedroom at Clarence House in central London in search of a pen.

He recalled: “There were two men there. They invited me in and offered me a drink. Then two more men came into the room. One of them was older and was a senior member of staff. The other was younger.

“One of the men asked me, ‘Are you gay?’ I nearly fell off my chair. I didn’t answer. I felt out of my depth.”

He said the younger of the two men took off his trousers and began ­performing a sex act on himself.

Christopher said: “That prompted another guy to put his hand on my leg and then he grabbed me.

“I was staggered. The younger man then came up behind me and gripped me, holding me in the chair.

“They were trying to undo my ­trousers but I managed to jump up and burst out of the room.”.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/queen-mothers-footman-was-groped-5503520?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2015, 02:29:38 pm »

I came across this the other day, it is from 2009, I had never read it before.  Seems a pretty reliable person who wrote it, and I know of someone who worked for her and got pretty much the same picture of what she was like, and it was not pretty.

Can We Finally Tell the Truth About Britain's Vile 'Queen Mother'?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-hari/can-we-finally-tell-the-t_b_299297.html
Diaphenous
courtier

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2015, 02:47:31 pm »

She was a truly nasty, evil old witch who was also known as The Black Queen because of her cruelty and evil ways.  Her persona to the British public was completely false and the mugs fell for it.  She despised them at best.
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2016, 02:47:59 am »

Prince Albert, The Duke of York (future King George VI) competed at Wimbledon.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyTgT2GOB8
Val
Duchess

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2016, 07:47:24 am »

^^

100% true, a vile, mean and nasty woman.
marion
Duchess

« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2016, 08:16:57 am »

^Very true and quite scary about how easy it was for her to be branded as some sort of fairy godmother... more like both of the ugly sisters rolled into one
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2016, 12:07:25 am »

King George VI inspected bomb damage in Bristol during mid-December 1940. Earlier in the month the city had been hit by two major attacks.   
The King met nurses from the Bristol Children's Hospital which had been hit during an air raid.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2016, 12:26:09 am »

She was a truly nasty, evil old witch who was also known as The Black Queen because of her cruelty and evil ways.  Her persona to the British public was completely false and the mugs fell for it.  She despised them at best.

NO one in that family is 'nice' in the conventional sense of the word. There's a reason none of the marriages in that family have worked out and frankly I do believe that William has always been a downright snob, just about the wrong things. Harry is surely the same as well. Thing is, that William should have been more of a snob towards Kate, basically telling her to get out of his life. If the Queen Mother had been alive, Kate would have been blasted out and William would have been flogged under the Queen Mother's supervision. Her ruthlessness is what kept that family from coming to pieces.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
sandy
Princess

« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2016, 02:57:53 pm »

I think she did more damage to Charles, treating him as "more special" than his siblings and making it seem that he could do no wrong. The QM even  blaming the women in his life for his own failings.
And there was much hypocrisy, when Camilla was "safely married" she lent Charles and Camilla Birkhall so they could have sex and cheat on their spouses (even though she was supposedly fond of Andrew Parker Bowles), then when Camilla was divorced she had nothing to do with her and called her a "bad woman" allegedly. Yet she encouraged the relationship and the cheating. She also paid attention to William as the heir more than his brother and his cousins. I think she would have spoiled and indulged him but perhaps encouraged him to make Kate "mistress material." Her "values" were strange.
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2016, 09:39:48 pm »

Marry only the best (social status); sleep with whomever makes one "happy."

She was fond of APB, but didn't care about her grandson sleeping with his wife because PC was his social superior.

Divorce was not allowed, only bad people get divorced (even though she encouraged the actions that caused the marriages to break down).

Charles and William were "superior" to their respective siblings/cousins because they're heirs to the throne, so of course she gave them special treatment.

Making Kate stay as a mistress would have been a good thing, IMO. She isn't bringing anything to the monarchy and tbh the relationship should have ended in 2007. Kate would have been pushed away, but for the wrong reasons... it should have been about work ethic rather than social status.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2016, 11:14:53 pm »

I think the QM had the kind of mindset that is regrettably lacking, that being, an understanding and acceptance of boundaries. Back then, you NEVER tried to break up a marriage and never dared undermine the position of the wife. Second, back then, you NEVER messed with any of the heirs or openly slandered the monarch. Kate did mouth off about the RF and completely forgot the realities of social dictates. I think Kate should have been given an EPIC smack-down for how she mouthed off about the RF back in 2007 and frankly if I had been William, I would have unleashed holy Hades on her for that alone. QM wouldn't have let Kate mouth off and get away with it. This is why as mores change, a work ethic is vital in someone's past so you know they understand and accept rank.

As a mistress Kate was in a perfect role and certainly, after so many years, that is who she was.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2017, 10:34:49 pm »

Nice pictures of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother   
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/royalty/9176069/The-Queen-Mother-in-pictures.html
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: