Royal Gossip
June 23, 2017, 06:09:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: George VI & Queen Elizabeth  (Read 4110 times)
Grey Mare
Countess

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 05:36:47 pm »

I think the QM was quite a dangerous woman and got exactly what she wanted. On the other hand at least she had an excelent sense of humour and represented the monarchy in style.

I agree.  People can say what they like about the QM but the fact of the matter is that this women knew how to be a real Queen.  It is ashame that she could not have been younger or lived long enough because Kate and the Middletons would have been booted out on their  :*butt*:.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 06:26:59 pm »

I think the QM was quite a dangerous woman and got exactly what she wanted. On

I have to admire her for that trait; she never lied to herself and all monarchs are dangerous one way or another.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Spice
Countess

William and Lupo: the real royal love match

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2012, 01:39:45 am »

I think the QM was so besotted with PC that she couldn't see the danger that Camilla posed.  She would never have encouraged him to get rid of her, to the QM, mistresses were just a normal part of aristocratic life, and ladies did themselves no favours if they tried to challenge that culture. 

When she was a young woman, George V and Queen Mary were in power, and the Edwardian and Victorian eras were fresh in people's minds.  Queen Victoria never allowed her heir to have the power of that role, and she pretended he wasn't shagging everything that moved.  Edward VII's experience before and after ascending the throne must have influenced the culture and customs of the aristocratic set.  There there was Edward VIII - I think Elizabeth fancied him, but realised he was always going to be attracted to married women (there were several before Wallis).  Somehow she grew up learning from these situations, so that when she was in her 70s and 80s, she had very old-fashioned ideas about how a PoW should live.

Along with her buddy Ruth, Lady Fermoy (PD's maternal grandmother), she would have been aware that PC was choosing a naive virgin bride, so that she would dutifully produce heirs and let PC do as he pleased.  It all backfired on them and the QM ended up hating PD because she rocked the boat too much.  She sympathised with PC and IMO would never have challenged his keeping a mistress.  I don't think she could grasp that he would end up marrying her.  Maybe he lied to her face - he's lied all over, like saying he wouldn't remarry, then going back on the "Princess Consort" thing.  The wily QM could no doubt spot a liar easily, but perhaps not when it's your adored heir.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2012, 04:45:41 am »

Queen Victoria never allowed her heir to have the power of that role,

I find that surprising; after all, in the past before Victoria, monarchs trained their heirs heavily and didn't have the idiocy to let them shirk learning the things they needed to learn. The Tudors heavily educated their daughters while teh sons were trained in statecraft and go figure, before the heirs led militaries. I don't think ti's been until the Hanovers that the heirs became more and more idle and uneducated. I mean, I wonder if things would have been different if in fact Charles had spent less time with his grandmother.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Spice
Countess

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2012, 05:40:14 am »

Victoria forbade him seeing the "red boxes" of government papers, and generally excluded him from the monarch's business as much as possible.  She held a misplaced grudge against him for her entire life, blaming him for Prince Albert's death.  She especially linked that to his promiscuity - it was while Albert was visiting Edward at university to read him the riot act about a scandal, that he was out in the cold weather, he was dead a few weeks later.  At that time people linked cold exposure to infection and death.  In fact he probably had a stomach ulcer or cancer.

Citizen not subject - I support the Republic UK and Republic NZ campaigns for system reform.
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:46 am »

Victoria for some reason wouldn't let her son be a man and let Albert walk all over him as a kid. Bertie was treated horribly by Albert and Victoria for some reason wouldn't stand up to him. AS for Albert's health, he was a compulsive workaholic and pushed himself more than he should have been.

Spice
Countess

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 06:55:59 am »

Victoria worshipped Albert, that's why she didn't stand up to him.  She loved his strict head-of-the-household ways with the children - she agreed with every bit of it.  She didn't want her children ending up debauched like her uncles, but that's exactly what ended up happening with Bertie.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 07:37:42 am »

Yeah, well, I for one think that was Victoria's only flaw, her unwillingness to end up defending her heir; it's the same with HM and it's no wonder the QM managed to have such control over Charles, mainly because the QM disliked Philip and his bullying ways. The QM didn't push Charles around all the time.

As for Bertie, well, Albert didn't give Bertie a chance, Albert just labeled Bertie the bad/stupid/lazy one and flogged the kid whenever he could.

Snokitty
Princess

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48:22 pm »

http://royalfoibles.com/2013/05/25/the-queen-and-princess-margarets-near-immaculate-conception/
One of the many paradoxes of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother’s personality, according to Lady Colin Campbell’s recent biography of her, was that she fancied herself a romantic heroine while being fundamentally asexual. King George Vl, who was perhaps the greatest masochist among the sons of George V, seems to have only become more slavishly devoted to his frigid wife for that reason. After a honeymoon in which Elizabeth feigned illness most of the time to avoid engaging in conjugal relations with her husband, the Duke and Duchess of York, as they were then known, settled into a mostly chaste marriage in which Prince Albert, with his wife’s apparent blessing, sought sexual fulfillment first with actress Evelyn Laye, and later with others. This was not an ideal setup for the production of heirs to the throne; for although Albert was second in line, he was still expected to provide children to take their place in the line of succession just in case his older brother were to fail in that task. History, of course, was to prove that the then Prince of Wales, later Edward Vlll, did precisely that. In order to solve this dynastic dilemma Elizabeth embarked on a plan of action that, among the aristocracy, was to become one of the most notorious, and open, secrets of the Royal Family in the 20th century.

Lady Campbell cites several sources for this story including the Duke of Windsor, Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, Lord Beaverbrook’s granddaughter Lady Jean Campbell and the Marquesa de Casa Maury, formerly Edward, Prince of Wales’ married mistress Freda Dudley Ward. In July of 1925 the Duchess of York visited the London clinic of Dr. Walter Jagger where she was artificially inseminated with her husband’s sperm. She duly became pregnant, and the future Queen Elizabeth ll was delivered by Caesarian section the following April. In 1929 a still passionless Elizabeth repeated this procedure, this time with Sir Henry Simson, and in August 1930 gave birth to Princess Margaret.

Of course, the then Duchess of York’s decisive action would prove prescient when Elizabeth became directly involved in the plot that forced her brother-in-law to abdicate and placed her husband on the throne. The pretty little daughters that Elizabeth in essence manufactured were vital to their father’s ascendence: providing the necessary component to the ideal family man image that trumped many a government minister’s misgivings about passing the crown along to the speech impediment suffering Duke of York whom they assumed was mentally backward. The role, according to many, that the future Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother played in King Edward Vlll’s usurpation will be the subject of a forthcoming post.
rogue
Duchess

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:24 pm »

^ Very interesting..History might be repeating itself shifty
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2013, 06:45:14 am »

Ah George aka Lady Colin Campbell ... more drivel from this most imaginative person ... who's own life is much more interesting, he was a cute baby.

Yes  HM was born by C Section .. but the rest is pure puff pastry.. full of air.

BTW... just to highlight my above words ...

Elizabeth II (Elizabeth Alexandra Mary; born 21 April 1926 .. not 1929 

Lady Colin do try to do some homework, do try to be at least factual.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:48:42 am by Tatiana » Logged

Jessica
courtier

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2013, 07:15:22 am »

I just want to point something out, Tatiana:  That post does not claim that QEII was born in 1929.  It says QEII was born the April following 1925 (the year the Queen Mum was inseminated), which would be 1926.  It then says that in 1929 the Queen Mum got pregnant with Maragret.  There is a period at the end of the word "April".  The "In 1929" part is the start of a new sentence.  The two things are not linked.

I don't even care if the topic is right or wrong or fabricated or true, I'm just pointing out your error.  If you're going to call something out (this lady's book/article/claim) then you should at least have the basic elements of what you're criticizing correct.
Tatiana
Countess

I come from a long line of Monarchists.

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2013, 03:44:05 pm »

Fair point Jessica .. I was in a rush when I read it. thankyou

I do have to point out that the author is no lady, he was raised as a boy.

FortressODaveBarry
Duchess

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2014, 04:58:24 am »

"The Queen Mother was banned from visiting an American nuclear base in Scotland, newly released files have revealed.

Plans were drawn up for the Royal matriarch to inspect the US nuclear fleet at the Holy Loch in Argyll at the height of the Cold War.

...However, the UK’s most senior diplomat cancelled the proposed tour amid fears that it could lead to the Queen Mother being targeted by anti-Vietnam war protesters...."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/queen-mother-kept-from-us-nuclear-base-in-scotland-1-3273565
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2014, 06:06:09 am »

oh my Holy Loch - people who served there - the kids who lived there - loved that little base - and the araea - hear so many stories about it

too bad the QM didn't come - seems it is so small an area - not enough room for demonstrators
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:35 am »

One missive from February 1943 states: “...I take a motherly interest in them because I like them.”

Aw! So sweet! Right back at her! Bless. hug

... Shore up the special relationship between the two countries.
   Hi  thumbsup

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
Snowpea
Countess

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2014, 01:42:04 pm »

One missive from February 1943 states: “...I take a motherly interest in them because I like them.”

Aw! So sweet! Right back at her! Bless. hug

... Shore up the special relationship between the two countries.
   Hi  thumbsup

Special relationship?
terrajoule
Baroness

Space. The final frontier...

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2014, 01:56:14 pm »

As allies.  bored3

I am a collection of dismantled almosts. -Anne Sexton, from A Self-Portrait In Letters
quo
gossip insider

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2014, 07:52:50 pm »

Love the title of this thread...just cracked me up when I first read it tehe
FortressODaveBarry
Duchess

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2014, 08:08:42 pm »

Were you picturing her ghost running up to the base with her horse race binoculars going easter-bunny  tehe
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: