Royal Gossip
January 16, 2018, 07:45:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen Victoria's Children  (Read 1745 times)
HRHOlya
Duchess

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 01:10:53 am »

^ Your post in this thread reminds me that I wanted to post this ages ago:

There was a docu on Vic's kids that aired some years ago, it was a series and I liked it a lot and the most shocking thing to me was to learn that Vic, Alb (Alb understandably so) and the kids(!!) had thick German accents, and when the kids came together and would talk with each other, the German accent would grow thicker and thicker (as they kind of reverted back into their sibling roles and in a way to their childhood, like many people change behavioural/ speech patterns when meeting old friends from school or uni or a certain group, if any of you watched How I Met Your Mother, Lily had that with her old uni friend).
The whole thing is on youtube

Here's the first part, I think there are 3 altogether:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv4RvQuCmR4
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 02:02:43 am »

^^IMO, and I've always held to it, Alfred's first choice as a bride was someone, anyone, with a huge dowry. Alfred liked money and as a younger son he didn't have much. He found the right bride in the pudding-faced daughter of Tsar Alexander II who came with lots and lots of money and romantic ideas about young English naval officers.

There was no hereditary blindness in the Hanover line. Frederika's grandfather was Ernst, a younger son of King George III and the Duke of Cumberland. Although scandal-ridden and scar-faced, he certainly wasn't blind. He became King of Hanover because Salic Law ruled in Hanover and therefore Queen Victoria couldn't be monarch there. George, Ernest's son, (also King of Hanover until 1866) became blind in one eye after an accident in his mid teens in 1834. Until then his eyesight was as good as anyone else's. Later the eyesight in the other eye failed.

Anyway, I thought that Frederica, who was somewhat intellectual, was more a great confidante of Prince Leopold, Alfred's younger haemophiliac brother. However, he found out she was in love with someone else, (a German Baron she married at St George's Chapel Windsor.) They remained good friends for the rest of Leopold's life though.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2017, 11:22:39 pm »

While attending her niece Victoria of Hesse and by Rhine's wedding, Princess Beatrice fell in love with Prince Henry of Battenberg.  loveshower loveshower

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 01:14:40 am »

By the end of 1864, Princess Alice, the second daughter, who had noticed that rides in the pony cart at Balmoral were almost the only things which made her mother half cheerful, recommended that John Brown be brought to England. Princess Alice put the idea to Dr. Jenner and to Colonel Phipps, Keeper of the Privy Purse. In December 1864 John Brown came to Osborne House.

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 09:15:19 pm »

Prince Arthur on his 20th birthday   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/834573374669981384

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 12:21:30 am »

Crown Princess Victoria of Prussia with her first baby Prince Wilhelm   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/834573374669981302

Really A Baron
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2017, 07:45:04 pm »

Seriously? How ironic of her.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 09:25:08 pm »

A drawing of Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse and by Rhine with her son Prince Friedrich drawn by Alice of Hesse.   
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/84653667973544090

Really A Baron
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 09:57:09 pm »

Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught served in India. At least for some of his time in India he was stationed in Meerut.

Really A Baron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: