Royal Gossip
October 21, 2017, 08:14:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monaco’s Princess Antoinette, sister to long-reigning Prince Rainier, dies at 90  (Read 1873 times)
Nighthawk
Princess

« on: March 18, 2011, 01:30:39 pm »

Monaco’s Princess Antoinette, sister to long-reigning Prince Rainier, dies at 90
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/monacos-princess-antoinette-sister-to-long-reigning-prince-rainier-dies-at-90/2011/03/18/ABE2I7o_story.html
The Prince’s Palace said Friday that she died overnight at Monaco’s Princess Grace Hospital. The palace did not provide a cause of death.

Princess Antoinette was the daughter of Princess Charlotte and Prince Pierre. She was involved in the cause of animal rights and was the president of Monaco’s Society for the Protection of Animals.

Prince Albert II, the son of Rainier and U.S. actress Grace Kelly, ordered all the flags in the principality to be at half-staff.

RIP
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:43:22 pm »

Sad that Antoinette ended up being exiled; however through her own actions, still sad that the family had to be torn apart.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
tequiero
courtier

I like to move it, move it :):):)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 07:24:26 pm »

Sad that Antoinette ended up being exiled; however through her own actions,

Kuei Fei, could you give us more info, please?

And does this piece of news have any impact on Albert and Charlene's weeding?

Harry-ite #6
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 07:05:53 am »

Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Antoinette,_Baroness_of_Massy

Life account
HSH Princess Antoinette

Having divorced Noghès, she and her lover Jean-Charles Rey hatched a plan to depose her brother Rainier III, Prince of Monaco and declare herself Regent on the basis of having a son who would one day inherit the throne. She circulated rumours that Rainier's fiancee, actress Gisèle Pascal, was infertile. This led to the breakup of the relationship.

Rainier's marriage to Grace Kelly in 1956 and the arrival of his heirs, Princess Caroline in 1957 and Prince Albert in 1958, effectively scuttled Antoinette's plans. She was removed from the Palace by her sister-in-law, Princess Grace and thereafter was estranged from the princely family for many years.

She was known to be somewhat eccentric, even having been described as "completely mad" by her servants. Having been banished from Monaco in the late 1950s, she lived down the coast from Monaco at Èze, with a large collection of dogs and cats. She was the president of Monaco's Society for the Protection of Animals

Upon the death of Rainier III in 2005, Antoinette and her descendants lost their place in the line of succession to the Monegasque throne, due to the 2002 amendment of the succession rules.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
Scarlet Flowers
courtier

Just when you thought they weren't any sillier...

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 02:33:17 pm »

May she rest in peace.

"They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."--Anonymous Indian

From the highly reccommended book Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee.
Nighthawk
Princess

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:26:56 pm »

Charlene supports Albert as he says goodbye to his beloved aunt
http://royalweddings.hellomagazine.com/prince-albert-monaco-charlene-wittstock/20110324592/prince-albert-of-monaco/charlene-wittstock/princess-antoinette-funeral/1/
Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 02:31:29 am »

Charlene looks dignified and supportive and Albert loooks hurt. It's a pity that Antoinette let ambition override her love for her brother.

Grace
Countess

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 06:15:36 pm »

May she rest in peace.

Kuei Fei
Princess

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:27:06 pm »

I see Caroline is already relegated to the background in photos.

gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 09:26:25 am »

Didn´t realise Rainier had a sister.  Very old news, but new to me.
Alexandrine
Super Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 10:09:52 pm »

she even tried to take his role in Monaco, very interesting woman but not very famous. Her kids still go to Monaco events.

“Three things are to be looked to in a building: that it stand on the right spot, that it be securely founded, that it be successfully executed.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
leogirl
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 03:50:54 am »

I never heard about Rainier's sister either, only his children and grandchildren.
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:05:10 am »

Princess Antoinette was baptized Antoinette Louise Alberte Suzanne. I like the name Alberte. I had not seen this name before.

Really A Baron
Little light
Baroness

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 01:47:02 pm »

There's a film, Grace of Monaco, starring Nicole Kidman as Princess Grace and Rainier's sister was not portrayed very kindly as she tried to get her own children onto the Throne. I cant quite remeber the circumstances as I am not a particular fan of NK in that genre.

So PG fought back. From that film, his sister was not the portrayed in a kindly light. I do know if a lot of artistic licence was used or not, so no idea of its veracity.

Plus I don't have the knowledge of Royals of the past (that you always said you were interested in when you joined the forum)  that you obviously have.  flower
FrederickLouis
Baroness

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 10:58:41 pm »

Princess Antoinette in pictures   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unhyRf6Xr_Q

Really A Baron
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: