Royal Gossip
May 27, 2017, 08:55:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexico's Imperial Family  (Read 2156 times)
Catrina
courtier

« on: November 12, 2011, 07:08:59 am »

Yes, after Agustin I de Iturbide, and after that awful episode with Maximilian von Hapsburg and Charlotte of Belgium, the family still exists.
The current emperor is called Maximilian von Gotzen Iturbide, but almost no one in Mexico is aware of him.

I've only been able to find one picture of him, and their official website doesn't say much of the current imperial family. I'm a history junkie, and I'd love to know more about them.

Is anyone here from Australia? I hear that's where they reside most of the time.
lindsaymarie
royal watcher

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:43:58 am »

From my understanding he lives in Australia with family. But the information is really not out there. I did find that the son Ferdinand goes to the University of Glasgow. But that is all I could find and I don't even know if that is 100% correct.

I did find a Facebook group that supported the return of a monarchy to Mexico.

Sorry I couldn't be anymore help other than that.
Catrina
courtier

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:42:49 pm »

Wow, that's actually a lot more than I've been able to find!  thankyou

I know that the "emperor" has a fanmail address in Australia. On one side, I wish I could know more about them, but on the other hand, I'm glad they're not in the public view, especially since the princes are very young.
lindsaymarie
royal watcher

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:32:14 am »

You're welcome! They aren't the easiest to find information on. I would love to know more too. I do feel the same way regarding being more private when they have children. Sometimes I feel other smaller royal families are to public when they have small children.
sangre_real016
royal watcher

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:44:41 am »

Yes.. the Mexican Imperial Family still exist.. although in exile i may say..

the first Emperor of Mexico was Agustin I de Iturbide, who himself was born a member of a Basque noble family.. at the age of 22, Agustin married Doña Ana María Josefa Ramona de Huarte y Muñiz, a member of the House of Tagle, a Spanish Noble family and a descendant of the Marquis of Altamira.. upon the fall of the Mexican Empire, Emperor Agustin I was executed and Empress Ana Maria lived a life in the convent..

the Second Mexican Empire was headed by Archduke Maximillian of Austria and his wife, Princess Charlotte of Belgium and the couple was crowned Emperor and Empress in 1823.. Emperor Maximillian and Empress Charlotte never had children of their own so they adopted the 2 grandsons of the former Emperor Agustin and Empress Ana Maria.. these two princes were Prince Agustin and Prince Salvador and named Prince Agustin de Iturbide the heir to the Mexican Throne.. but just a couple of years later, the Mexican Empire fell and Emperor Maximillian faced the same fate as his predecessor Emperor Agustin.. Empress Charlotte returned to Europe but her sanity slowly crumbled..

Prince Agustin later renounced his right to the throne and returned to Mexico where he served as an officer in the Mexican Army.. he married Mary Louise Kearney, daughter of Brigadier General James Kearney but the couple never had children.. on the other hand, his cousin and adoptive brother Prince Salvador de Iturbide was sent to Paris by their mother Empress Charlotte, but he later moved to Hungary.. Prince Salvador was given a pension by his adoptive uncle Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria, husband of the famous Empress Elisabeth "Sisi" of Austria.. Prince Salvador later married the Hungarian aristocrat Baroness Gizella Mikos and became good friends with Carlos, Duke of Madrid..

Prince Salvador and Baroness Gizella had 3 daughters, one of who was Maria Josepha, Princess Imperial of Mexico.. Princess Maria Josepha later married Baron Johann Tunkl von Aschbrunn und Hohenstadt and had 2 daughters.. her eldest daughter was Baroness Maria Anna Tunkl von Aschbrunn und Hohenstadt.. Baroness Maria Anna later married Count Maria Gustav von Götzen and they had 2 children, Count Maximilian von Götzen-Itúrbide, known as the titular Emperor of Mexico and Countess Emanuela von Götzen-Itúrbide..

Don Maximiliano Gustav Albrecht Richard Agustin de Götzen-Itúrbide married Doña Maria Anna de Franceschi, who herself is a member of Croatian and Venetian nobility.. the couple has 3 children

Count Fernando Leopold Maximiliano Gustav Salvador de Götzen-Itúrbide
Countess Emanuela Charlotte Maria Helena de Götzen-Itúrbide

the Iturbide family currently lives in Australia.. distant relatives include Don Hugo O'Donnell, 7th Duke of Tetuan, who himself is the direct descendant of Don Luis Sanchez de Tagle, 1st Marquis of Altamira, who was the great great great granduncle of Empress Ana Maria..

though i think its really important to mention but i myself is somewhat distantly related to them as my ancestor was a member of the House of Tagle who settled in Manila during the late 1700's to help expand the influence of the Tagle family headed by the Don Luis Sancez de Tagle, 1st Marquis of Altamira..

it all started with Agustin de Iturbide and Ana Maria.. he, a distinguished military general who liberated the Mexican people and she, a descendant of the most powerful Spanish noble family in New Spain..
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 08:47:31 am by sangre_real016 » Logged
Catrina
courtier

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 05:07:01 pm »

Hi Thank you Sangre Real!!! Or should I say Bienvenida/o?

Thank you for sharing many more details than I'v ever been able to find. It really does take someone close to these circles to know how each lineage has been branching out throughout the years.

I know it is no easy task. I am of no royal blood, but a big part of my family makes up the entire population of a few old country towns. They do keep some suspicious ancient traditions regarding lineage and family customs, so I figure it's very similar to keeping track of distant royal family, who's cousin to whom, and which house used to belong to which family...  tehe
I'm sure I could find out mroe if I knew where exactly they all came from, but that would be quite the headache  bored3

As a Mexican (and wannabe diplomat), I like knowing as much as I can about the history of my country, even though Mexican nobility is a topic seldom explored. We don't only have the Iturbides to show off, but also Rainier of Monaco's descendants are part Mexican, too!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Australia an odd destination for the family to have chosen?
sangre_real016
royal watcher

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 03:30:38 am »

Hi Thank you Sangre Real!!! Or should I say Bienvenida/o?

Thank you for sharing many more details than I'v ever been able to find. It really does take someone close to these circles to know how each lineage has been branching out throughout the years.

I know it is no easy task. I am of no royal blood, but a big part of my family makes up the entire population of a few old country towns. They do keep some suspicious ancient traditions regarding lineage and family customs, so I figure it's very similar to keeping track of distant royal family, who's cousin to whom, and which house used to belong to which family...  tehe
I'm sure I could find out mroe if I knew where exactly they all came from, but that would be quite the headache  bored3

As a Mexican (and wannabe diplomat), I like knowing as much as I can about the history of my country, even though Mexican nobility is a topic seldom explored. We don't only have the Iturbides to show off, but also Rainier of Monaco's descendants are part Mexican, too!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Australia an odd destination for the family to have chosen?

glad i could help.. i must agree that Mexican Nobility is something that hasn't been discussed much compared to other noble families of other countries.. but titled Mexican nobles does exist and should be recognized as some of them have descended from the oldest Kings of Spain..

Agustin de Iturbide, Mexico's first Emperor for example came from a Basque noble family with titles granted by King Juan II of Aragon.. even though his father's nobility cannot be questioned, the same thing cannot be said about his mother who was described to be a mestiza.. Agustin's family was a privileged one and owned haciendas..

Ana Maria's lineage is far more illustrious than that of her husband.. Empress Ana Maria's mother Doña Ana Manuela Muñíz y Sánchez de Tagle was the great granddaughter of Don Pedro Sánchez de Tagle, who himself is the brother of Don Luis Sánchez de Tagle, 1st Marquis of Altamira.. Don Luis and his brother originated from Santillanadel Mar, Cantabria, Spain and were the sons of Don Anselmo Sánchez de Tagle and Doña Julianna de la Rasa.. the House of Tagle originated in this part of Spain which can be traced back to the 6th century.. according to the family origins, the founder of the House of Tagle fought the Moors during the Age of the Reconquista.. for his service, it was said that an Asturian King allowed his to marry his daughter.. this history is still reflected in the Tagle family's coat of arms which has the motto "Tagle se llamó el que la sierpe mató y con la infanta casó".. if you would go the Peru and visit the Torre Tagle Palace, you can still find that inscription of the palace facade..

anyways, Don Luis moved to Mexico by the end of the 16th century and became very wealthy.. in fact, his wealth was so great that he was able to lend the Spanish Crown 850,000 silver pesos from 1683 to 1698. Between 1700 and 1703, Don Luis was able to lend 500,000 pesos de oro común to King Philip V of Spain.. he also managed to increase his influence beyond Mexico.. his nephew, Don Domingo Ruiz de Tagle, 1st Marquis of Sierra Nevada later married Ignacia Cruzat, daughter of Fausto Cruzat who was then the Governor General of the Philippines.. other relatives include Don Juan Manuel Pérez de Tagle, 1st Marquis of las Salinas, the Spanish-Peruvian Don Jose Bernardo de Tagle y Bracho, 1st Marquis of Torre Tagle and his wife Rosa Juliana Sánchez de Tagle, Marchioness of Torre Tagle who's descendant include Don José Bernardo de Tagle y Portocarrero, 4th Marquis of Torre Tagle who also became the President of Peru, and Don Juan Antonio de Tagle y Bracho, 1st Count of Casa Tagle de Trasierra, who himself was the nephew of the Marquis of Torre Tagle..

here is the line from Don Anselmo Sánchez de Tagle to Don Hugo O'Donnell y Duque de Estrada, 7th Duke of Tetuan

Don Anselmo Sánchez de Tagle >>> Don Luis Sánchez de Tagle, 1st Marquis of Altamira >>> Doña Luisa Sánchez de Tagle >>> Doña Manuela Sánchez de Tagle, 3rd Marchioness of Altamira >>> Doña Luisa Pérez de Tagle, 4th Marchioness of Altamira >>> Don Manuel Rodriguez de Albuerne y Pérez de Tagle, 5th Marquis of Altamira >>> Doña María de la Paz Rodriguez de Albuerne y Girón, 6th Marchioness of Altamira >>> Doña Maria del Mar Alvarez de Abreu y Rodriguez de Albuerne, 8th Marchioness of Altamira >>> Don Carlos Manuel O'Donnell y Álvarez de Abreú, 2nd Duke of Tetuan, 9th Marquis of Altamira >>> Don Leopoldo O' Donnell y Vargas >>> Don Leopoldo O'Donnell y Lara >>> Don Leopoldo O'Donnell, 6th Duke of Tetuan >>> Don Hugo O'Donnell, 7th Duke of Tetuan --- heir: Don Carlos O'Donnell de Armada, 15th Marquis of Altamira

Don Anselmo Sánchez de Tagle to Count Maximilian von Götzen-Itúrbide, Titular Emperor of Mexico

Don Anselmo Sánchez de Tagle >>> Don Pedro Sánchez de Tagle y de la Rasa >>> Don Andrés Sánchez de Tagle y Pérez de la Sierra >>> Doña Isabel Sánchez de Tagle y Veydacar >>> Doña Ana Manuela Muñiz y Sánchez de Tagle >>> Empress Ana Maria of Mexico >>> Prince Salvador of Mexico >>> Don Salvador, Prince of Iturbide >>> Doña Maria Josepha de Iturbide, Princess Imperial of Mexico >>> Baroness Maria Anna Tunkl von Aschbrunn und Hohenstadt >>> Count Maximilian von Götzen-Itúrbide --- heir: Count Fernando Leopold Maximiliano Gustav Salvador de Götzen-Itúrbide

there are other descendants of the House of Tagle such as the former beauty queen Claudia Ortiz De Zevallos, a descendant of the Marquis of Torre Tagle and she represented her family during the visit of Prince Sixtus Henry of Bourbon-Parma, Duke of Aranjuez in Peru.. other possible descendants of this noble house includes Isabel Preysler y Pérez de Tagle from the Philippines who herself was the former Marchioness of Griñón as the wife of Don Carlos Falcó y Fernández de Córdoba, 5th Marquis of Griñón who himself is a distant cousin of Doña Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart, 18th Duchess of Alba --- the person with the most noble titles in the world and direct descendant of King James II of England and distant relative of Diana, Princess of Wales.. Isabel's son is the international singer Enrique Iglesias (i know, quite a family connection there.. Tongue).. there are many other descendants primarily in Spain, Mexico, Peru and the Philippines.. i believe there is a book about Mexican Nobility entitled Historia genealógica de las familias más antiguas de México, its a form of Almanach de Gotha of some sort dedicated to Mexico's oldest families..

as for Prince Rainier III of Monaco's Mexican ancestry, yes there is.. Prince Rainier's father Count Pierre de Polignac was half Mexican.. Count Pierre's mother was Susana de la Torre y Mier who herself is a member of Mexican Nobility.. another example is the Mexican writer journalist and author Elena Poniatowska, who was born as Princess Hélène Elizabeth Louise Amélie Paula Dolores Poniatowska, daughter of Prince Jean Joseph Evremont Sperry Poniatowski and Paula Amor Yturbe.. her father was the descendant of the brother King Stanislaus II of Poland, the last king of Poland while her mother was a descendant of Mexican Nobility..

hmmm.. i don't know the family chose Australia.. from what i know the Iturbide was firstly exile in Tuscany and later in England and lastly in the USA.. Empress Ana Maria died in Philadelphia.. i think its said that their names are almost forgotten.. for example, almost nobody knows that the woman buried in a vault in the cemetery of the Church of St. John the Evangelist once wore a crown and held the title of an Empress..  sob

i hope i have managed to help you in any ways.. thumbsup
Catrina
courtier

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 05:40:40 am »

Gah!! You beat me to it!

Some time after I wrote my post I remembered Elena Poniatowska. Very nice lady.
And a guy I have a class with is a De la Motte, but sadly he's not very interested in his family's past.
We also house a few Habsburgs (I can't remember the string of last names right now), and you're right, the Historia Genealógica talks about how many native kings were given Spanish titles and records their descendants. I don't think the book has been kept updated after the XIX century, though.
Most nobles lost their privileges after Porfirio Diaz was exiled, and modern "nobility" is an entirely different thing: it's mostly about prominent families such as de Martínez del Campo, Martínez del Rio (family member Dolores del Rio was a prominent actress who went on to marry Orson Welles), the entrepreneur families of the north, etc etc etc.

Even if we had many old noble families, they've lost relevance/power with the years, or they went away with each conflict in history.

I'm keeping your post open so it's something I can go back to and re-read until I've understood every single relation in there  sly
sangre_real016
royal watcher

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:28 am »

Gah!! You beat me to it!

Some time after I wrote my post I remembered Elena Poniatowska. Very nice lady.
And a guy I have a class with is a De la Motte, but sadly he's not very interested in his family's past.
We also house a few Habsburgs (I can't remember the string of last names right now), and you're right, the Historia Genealógica talks about how many native kings were given Spanish titles and records their descendants. I don't think the book has been kept updated after the XIX century, though.
Most nobles lost their privileges after Porfirio Diaz was exiled, and modern "nobility" is an entirely different thing: it's mostly about prominent families such as de Martínez del Campo, Martínez del Rio (family member Dolores del Rio was a prominent actress who went on to marry Orson Welles), the entrepreneur families of the north, etc etc etc.

Even if we had many old noble families, they've lost relevance/power with the years, or they went away with each conflict in history.

I'm keeping your post open so it's something I can go back to and re-read until I've understood every single relation in there  sly

thumbsup

i just wish current descendants of those families still values their family's history.. from what i remember some of the old noble families where the Tagles (Sánchez de Tagles, Pérez de Tagles, etc), the Rincóns, the Moctezumas, Revillagigedos, etc.. the new elites are just those of nouveau riche families.. hardly considered to be in the same class as the rest of the truly blue-blooded families.. the old families may have lost their wealth and power but not their pedigree.. my family also used to have large parcels of lands but it was confiscated from us during WWII with one of my great great grandaunts and her children had their heads chopped off..  sob
Catrina
courtier

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 07:37:15 am »

Heads chopped off in as late as the 1940's? That's horrible!!
Well, it's horrible no matter the decade, but it's even worse that when it is not a common place practice such as in the 1700s.

And I'm sorry to hear about the land. The same thing happened to my dad's family. Their lands were either stolen or confiscated by politicians ("lost" by shady laws), or during the Cristera war in Mexico.
I'll let you know other details by PM.
And definitely pedigree is more important than position or money. Heritage, values, and class are what matters. ANyone can inherit money, but not everyone will stand up for what their ancestors stood up for.
FrederickLouis
courtier

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »

Emperor Maximilian and Empress Charlotte formally adopted Prince Augustin on September 13, 1865.   
Emperor Maximilian and Empress Charlotte formally adopted Prince Salvador on September 13, 1865.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: