Royal Gossip
April 20, 2019, 05:55:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engagement numbers  (Read 2754 times)
CarryingOn
Duchess

http://media.tumblr.com/6fa12932f6e3affcfb7d37c57f

« on: November 20, 2014, 09:34:38 pm »

So, if this has already been done, and I'm just being redundant, feel free to point me in the right direction and delete this thread but anyway,

Question: Does anyone know where I can find or do we already have a list of Diana's engagement numbers and names from when she was alive? I would love to see them in print and in one place. Or maybe someone already has the knowledge and would love to have it themselves. I wish I could, but I'm at a loss.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 12:39:58 am »

really good question - I tried once to find out - but did not find anything.  Hard to imagine with all the ink spilled over Di no one ever bothered to look at her engagement numbers.  I wonder how they would compare to say Will, Kate Harry even Prince Charles??

court Circular is the logical place - they have a list of her patronages

http://www.royal.gov.uk/HistoryoftheMonarchy/The%20House%20of%20Windsor%20from%201952/DianaPrincessofWales/CharitiesandPatronage.aspxhttp://

but I got busy and stopped looking for actual engagement numbers - if it is anyplace that should be the place
CarryingOn
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 12:59:10 am »

^Thanks for that Cate but I already looked there but I couldn't find anything. I'll keep searching and re-wording though.

I've done a few google searches but it seems like no matter how I word the search question, I get a million links to her info on her engagement and engagement ring but none on her work engagements. Yes it strange and frustrating I can't find anything. I'll keep trying though.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:09 am »

It is a good question. I know Diana was scheduled for 171 engagements in the first year of her marriage and had to cancel about four because of early pregnancy nausea. She carried out, (according to wiki,) 191 official engagements in 1988 and 397 in 1991.

Diana spent her last birthday (July 1997) attending the Tate Gallery's 100th anniversary celebrations. Her last official engagement before her death was on 21st July 1997 when she visited the children's accident and emergency unit at Northwick Park Hospital in London.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 04:54:42 am »

Confirmation of sorts for the 1991 figures from a royal watcher, reported by People magazine in 1992. Remember though, 1991 included a royal tour of Canada, arrivals and departures counted as official engagements.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20111946,00.html
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 05:47:03 am »

meet and greets before entering a building count too - so one event could actually end up giving you a count of 3-4 engagements.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:34:25 am »

There is no 'official' count as such.

Mr O'Donovan, who is a royal watcher from the UK, started around the late 1970s or early 1980s (possibly about the time that Diana joined the family) to keep his own count and sent a letter to The Times and The Telegraph after that first year on the 1st January the following year. It was well received so he has continued to do so ever since. As far as I am aware he hasn't ever really said what he counts and what he doesn't.

The poster on TRF decided in 2012 to keep their own count. They have indicated how they do their count which is something like:

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh travelled by train to Exeter where they were met by the Lord Lt of Essex.

They then visited Exeter Central High School, and watched a performance of dancers and met the school prefects before joining the students for lunch.

The Queen then opened the new Science block.

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh left the school and visited the nearby park where The Queen dedicated a swing set to young people.

The above is totally fictitious but the sort of thing that is entered in the CC on a daily basis.

If I am understanding the poster on TRF's way of counting properly that would count as:

2 for The Duke of Edinburgh and 3 for The Queen

The Queen's are the visit to the school and everything else that went on there with Philip; opening the Science wing - she did that alone; and then the visit and dedication at the park.

Philip's would have been the visits to the school and then to the park.

Mr O'Donovan may count the met on arrival but the TRF poster doesn't count those as engagements.

As there is no 'official' count as such people are free to do their own counts. Mr O'Donovan is now regarded as the de facto official count but he does it out of love and for no other reason - it is a hobby for both him and the TRF poster.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:49 am »

I've taken a look at that particular TRF thread. Some appearances by Diana are unlisted in the yearly tally, such as engagements like Trooping The Colour. Also royal tours aren't really detailed. I doubt that you would be able to get an accurate annual number of engagements from it, frankly.

Mr O' Donovan's listings from the C.C. truly is a labour of love. The old boy must be in his eighties now, and has been doing his tally of public engagements for the royal family since the 1970's. Diana was left off the C.C. in 1996, and the  figures from earlier in her marriage would be hard to get, unless you have old copies of 'The Times' dating back to the 1980's! The Telegraph sometimes published Mr O'Donovan's figures too.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:38 am »

The poster on TRF only started doing it in 2012 so hasn't Diana in any counts.

They are also doing a slow re-count going back to 2000 but again that is after Diana died so that is why Diana wouldn't be appearing in the thread by the TRF poster.

The British Monarchy Website only has the CC archived back to 1997 so not much on Diana due to the fact that she was divorced in 1996.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:49 am »

The poster on TRF only started doing it in 2012 so hasn't Diana in any counts.

They are also doing a slow re-count going back to 2000 but again that is after Diana died so that is why Diana wouldn't be appearing in the thread by the TRF poster.

The British Monarchy Website only has the CC archived back to 1997 so not much on Diana due to the fact that she was divorced in 1996.

We must be thinking of different threads, meememe. I took a look at a thread in TRF called 'Diana's Engagements 1981-1997, The Complete List.' this afternoon. Only it wasn't complete and the engagements weren't numbered. It appeared to be an undetailed list of yearly engagements. I don't think that particular poster had been collating since 1981, (at least I hope not,) but it seems to have been drawn from a collection of Diana memorabilia.
KGap
courtier

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 10:16:23 pm »

I wonder if there is a complete list of what she did back in the 80s? She was more than just a name or gala attendee.
CarryingOn
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »

^ She was and it would.
Rosella
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:17 pm »

I've been trying, but I've come to the conclusion that unless a site on the internet has Mr O'Donovan's tallies from 1981 onwards (and I haven't found anything so far) it is virtually Mission Impossible. You would have to have (a) the totals for the end of each year of Diana's married life, collated by Mr O'Donovan and published in The Times and/or The Telegraph, or (b) collect every copy of the Court Circular published in The Times between 1981 and 1996. Or (c) Send an SOS to Mr O'Donovan and hope he would help by sending some figures. As he's both elderly and a private citizen in the UK, that might be a bit difficult.

The only figures we have are the ones I posted above. As has been pointed out we don't know whether all engagements have been collated properly. However, if Diana started with 171 and presumably her figures for the next couple of years were in the high hundreds, getting up to the high three hundreds as she gained more experince in the early 1990's, we can have some idea.
KGap
courtier

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 03:19:57 am »

Thanks! Her genuine interest in whatever she was doing was evident. Sure sometimes she was bored, but it never seemed like she was going through the motions in order to go on another holiday.

I can't help but to think that waity is a massive dose of karma for the way Diana was treated,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: