Royal Gossip
July 24, 2017, 09:34:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: William refuses the throne?  (Read 7781 times)
Snowdrop
Countess

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »

The British Monarchy (or not as the case may be) is nothing to do with the US.  I'm sure the President/Government would have opinions if willy was to stand aside but the decision is not theirs to take or get involved in.
meememe
Duchess

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 08:23:35 pm »

He could inform the government that he doesn't want the throne and the government can then decide whether or not to procede with a bill that will remove William from the line of succession. The parliament will then get to vote on it and only if the majority votes in favor, William is out.

Was there  such a vote when Edward abdicated - I didn't think so but could be wrong?

The day after Edward abdicated, his move was legitimated by a special Act of Parliament: His Majesty's Declaration of Abdication Act 1936. Furthermore, all parliaments of the British Commonwealth had to agree with the act and duly did so. Some came back from recess (it was shortly before Christmas).

So yes, there was a vote on the Act.

The fastest Act of Parliament ever past in fact - all three readings in both houses in one day. Edward's final official act as King was to sign that legislation as the moment he signed it he ceased to be King.

cate1949
Princess

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 09:24:22 pm »

sorry but the US and for that matter other countries would take a great interest in the stability of the monarchy - including  the gulf states - no country exists in a vacuum - countries are dependent on one another - the US would not interfere - but they and other countries would take a great deal of interest and would help in whatever ways they were requested - and there would be countries that would be quite happy to see the UK destabilized and distracted by a constitutional crisis who would pour oil on the fire when they could - what do you think is happening now with this extra billion that the UK has to pay the EU?  Payback for the UK not supporting Juncker.  This is the EU interfering in internal UK politics - Cameron tried to keep Juncker from becoming EU pres - so now Juncker threatens Cameron.  That is how the world works.

Consider Obama's statements on Scottish independence - these did not go down well in the US yet he still said it  twice - because your government ASKED him to help -  the rehabilitate Harry's image after Vegas tour - which included the White House and a 21 gun salute at Arlington - your government asked for help - they got it - or the Epstein case where the feds kept the evidence that showed Andy's involvement under lock and key - so the UK gov and the Queen would not be embarrassed.  Long list of ways in which both our governments rub each others back and help each other out - equally long list of ways other countries try to screw each other.  The UK is what keeps the US in NATO - what keeps the US paying for European security - that link gets broken - the US leaves the Europeans on their own.  Kind of serious business right?

A lot of people seem to think the royals are nothing more than celebs - and the younger royals sure do act like that - but the Monarchy is serious business and is an integral part of the UK power structure and the UK plays an integral role in this planet's geopolitics.  People who have power do not give it up - Will is not going to resign or abdicate unless other powerful people decide he must go.  This is not conspiracy theory - this is how the world goes.

Other countries cannot dictate to the UK (well - the Saudi's can) but they sure would be involved and the US would what it could to support the UK gov/monarchy -silly Willy is not going to be permitted to screw things up -  Willie boy ain't going nowhere. 
Kit
Baroness

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 01:42:35 am »

Good post Cate!!! 

Willy can be tossed out just like Edward.  Wallis Simpson was just an excuse.  Should Wm's behavior and associations threaten the UK/global politics he's out. 

Snowdrop
Countess

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 06:29:52 am »

^^There is a big difference between taking an interest in UK politics and making a decision - only UK MP's would get to vote on any laws, not the Saudi's or the US President or anyone else for that matter.

As for the EU - they keep saying they want us to stay in - probably because of the huge contribution we make financially -  but the way things are going there is a fair chance we may leave anyway. 
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2014, 06:57:01 am »

agree to disagree - when those MP vote they consider the impacts of that vote on their relationships with other countries - count on it - when they vote - they do not want to tick off their main oil supplier the Saudi's or their main defense partner the US.  But that is not what I am saying  - what I am saying is that Will has no power - but the monarchy does - and the network of power relationships the monarchy is an integral part of will not permit Will to rock the boat - that network is not just the UK but the broader network of relationships the UK has who all have a serious stake in a stable UK.  So a country like the US which revolted to get rid of monarchy will never the less do what ever it can to support the monarchy in the UK.   
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2014, 09:49:16 am »

If there is still a monarchy when George is older I could see William abdicating in favour of George. It may be that William never actually becomes King and the transition is from Charles to George.

IMO if William had an honourable way out he would take it. I believe that he would have given up his rights earlier before he married but that would put Harry in the spotlight.

William and Harry had talked about walking when they were younger. They talked about doing a joint bolt.
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2014, 12:08:37 pm »

Let them bolt. Wimpo not fit for the thone - how could the People of the UK ever trust a man who lies so often and with no shame or remorse.  Harry, if he wants the slot let him take it, if not there are Andrew┬┤s two daughters, no sweat, plenty of other takers.  Let us not forget, HM was not born to rule, it was thrust upon her.  Always a way out.
Snowdrop
Countess

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 12:58:42 pm »

ITA IMO If/when the rest of the world realises what willy is like they would welcome him stepping aside
Emperor
Countess

My cat always prefers my furniture over her post

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »

If there is still a monarchy when George is older I could see William abdicating in favour of George. It may be that William never actually becomes King and the transition is from Charles to George.

IMO if William had an honourable way out he would take it. I believe that he would have given up his rights earlier before he married but that would put Harry in the spotlight.

William and Harry had talked about walking when they were younger. They talked about doing a joint bolt.

I've never heard of this! Any references?

Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are. - Princess Diana
Freya
Duchess

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 02:24:36 pm »

^
I cannot find the specific reference but I am sure that I read somewhere that when William was talking about walking away Harry said he would join.

It may have been in one of the biographies about the princes. These comments were not recent. William has made many comments about not wanting the role in the past. The article below mentions several authors who have commented on Williams reluctance to the role.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/johann-hari/why-william-will-never-be-king-590196.html

I cannot imagine how William will cope when he has to take on a higher profile. His dislike of the media is doing him no favours and the media keeps the RF relevant.
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2014, 02:51:45 am »

Let him leave; let Britain and the Commonwealth be free of his tragedy airs and the trouble-making woman he married and foisted on Britain. It's not like he brings the ability to make alliances or anything else. He has no connections that will continue the possibility that he will be able to bring jobs and promote trade/business.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
CarryingOn
Duchess

http://media.tumblr.com/6fa12932f6e3affcfb7d37c57f

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2014, 05:37:33 am »

Well they're no longer little boys. William can do a a runner (and I support his doing that wholeheartedly and it would be the right thing to do) but Harry's not going to follow. I hope he does abdicate. Harry can take the throne, the brown eyed wonder can be taken out of the line of succession by Parliament or however that works, and then Harry's kids can keep it going until it's gone. #hopeful
Kuei Fei
Princess

Moderator/I'm so royal I piss blue

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2014, 05:46:14 am »

I wonder if whether or not Harry could effectively handle being Heir.

Yes, Harry is handsome and personable, but there's a streak of self-destructiveness that is very much so instilled in him.

To receive regular news, go to "@gossippsychotic" to get updates from various other gossip websites such as "Downtown Chatter" or "Royal Gossip Psychotic" and end up reading all about all sorts of peccadilloes.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2014, 06:10:55 am »

Once again - even if Will chose to remove himself from the line of succession - George still holds his place.  Will cannot relinquish the rights of a living child only yet to be born children.  Harry would not step into Will's place.
Snowdrop
Countess

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2014, 06:54:31 am »

If Parliament were to vote to remove PG from the succession then he would be gone
Val
Duchess

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2014, 08:04:33 am »

Rules can be changed or as you say Snowdrop, Parliament can vote and if necessary they will but as the 'heirs' are allegedly bogus and not 'of the body' they are not eligible anyway.  We have discussed this many times and it is there on other threads already plus much on the Internet.   Ma didn't comprehend this when she hatched her plan according to insiders.
CarryingOn
Duchess

http://media.tumblr.com/6fa12932f6e3affcfb7d37c57f

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2014, 02:06:44 pm »

^^ Thank you for that Snow Drop. I already had that in my post, some just have selective blindness it would seem.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 02:09:43 pm by CarryingOn » Logged
Stephanie
Princess

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

If Wimpo married a roman catholic Waity parliament would remove him from the line of succession but his children would still be eligible if they were raised as protestants.
If Wimpo removes himself however his children are removed too.
It would be some kind of abdication and in that case any children lose their rights too.
india
Princess

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2014, 04:21:09 pm »

George and this new child will be removed. They will never, ever inherit the throne.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: