Royal Gossip
April 25, 2019, 09:25:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prince Charles orders massive squirrel killing spree  (Read 3585 times)
Stephanie
Princess

« on: October 20, 2014, 12:11:12 pm »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-of-wales-orders-cull-of-grey-squirrels-to-protect-indigenous-red-population-9804634.html ick stop
AnaBolena
Duchess

We Read To Know We Are Not Alone - C.S Lewis

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 04:53:53 pm »

thumbsdown thumbsdown

I despise this type of thing.  *slap Charles face* bignono sauer

“Without music, life would be a mistake.”
Mandosiel
Duchess

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:57 pm »

I have to say I agree with him, the grey squirrels can be quite invasive to the point of completely whiping out the red squirrels. It needs doing just like trees need pruning and gardens weeding. Going all "Awwwwww but they're cute squirrels!" is just going to mean the end of an indigenous breed by an interloper that doesn't belong there to begin with. It's not any different then when the pythons invaded the Florida Everglades and threatened the indigenous species there, what were they supposed to do, let all the pythons eat everything out of existence there?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:27:00 pm by Mandosiel » Logged
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:50:29 pm »

Sorry, but I disagree with it. Why should the grey squirrels be wiped out to keep red squirrels going. Surely there is space for both.  Nope. they are both creatures of God, and I do not agree with what he is doing one bit.
Val
Princess

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:29:15 pm »

^  I completely agree and my very large garden is full of them and they cause no problem whatsoever.
Mandosiel
Duchess

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:31:21 pm »

Because the grey squirrels aren't supposed to be there in the first place. They are like the Asian beetles or various other invasive species that have come into the US and wrecked havoc on the local wildlife to the point of extinction. Creatures of God or not the red squirrels don't deserve to suffer losing their territory to a species of squirrel that's not even supposed to be there. I like squirrels just as much as the next nature lover, but I preffer the red ones over the agreed in this case and don't have a problem with what Charles is saying because from and ecological point of view it's completely sound sense to try to protect and conserve the countries indigenous species from the invasive species before they do so much damage that it will take the red generations to recover their numbers if they ever do at all.

I also find it incredible annoying that there's far more horrible attrocities going on in the world including how horribly animals are raised and abused in cages all their lives before being horribly slaughtered but people get all up in arms about Charles trying to conserve a wild native species of squirrel from an invasive wild  species. How is this any different then when there is too high of a number of deer in an area and its threatening the local vegetation and even other wildlife and they tell hunters they can bag a second or third deer in order to cull their numbers down to a reasonable level?

No difference at all, invasive squirrels can also carry varies deseases into the area that the indigenous species have no immunity to as well as spread it to other wildlife. And no there is not enough space for all of them, any given place can only sustain a certain number of wildlife, if the numbers are too great then the vegation, trees, and other willife will start to suffer. If there's too many squirrels that means there's too many nuts being collected for the winter, which means it drastically cuts down on the number of nuts that will grow into trees and so on.

"Humane and lawful" measures to control the population of greys, which carry a poxvirus which is deadly to red squirrels, have been introduced on the Duchy of Cornwall estate.
The grey species, which were first brought over from America in 1876, are also "extremely destructive" in woodlands, stripping the bark from trees and causing a "major impact" on woodland conservation, biodiversity and sustainability, according to the Forestry Commission.

There are 17 red squirrel strongholds in northern England with an estimated 140,000 red squirrels left in Britain, but there are thought to be more than 2.5 million greys, according to the Forestry Commission.
Grey squirrels are an obstacle in the Government's pledge to increase woodland cover from 10% to 12% of England's land area by 2060.
They cause an estimated £10 million a year in damage to trees, the Country Land and Business Association (CLA) said.

Those numbers and that amount of damage aren't sustainable, end of story.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:36:15 pm by Mandosiel » Logged
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:27 pm »

Whether or not the grey squirrels are meant to be there or not, how do they know that.  Charles is playing God, as is anyone else who does the same thing.  It is not for him, or anyone else, to kill most of them off.   Like the rest of us, they did not ask to be born, they did not ask to be grey squirrels, red squirrels, human beings, or whatever, they had no say in it.

I understand we all have different opinions and thoughts, but we will have to agree to disagree on this one.  I just can never, ever, approve of chucky, or anyone, to just kill for what I would term no good reason.  For me, that goes against everything natural, and is not acceptable.
Mandosiel
Duchess

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »

Are you guys like completely ignoring that little fact where it says they were brought over in 1876 and are extremely destructive?

Bigger preditors have turf wars all the time to protect their hunting grounds, so actually it's completely natural. Only problem here is that the Greys outnumber the Reds by the thousands and their numbers can't sustain anymore damage. Now if England where the size of US or continental Europe I would say fine, let all the squirrels run free, but it's not, it's effing tiny in comparison. Chucky is no more playing God with the Greys lives than any other head of Forestry when they notice a species' numbers that need culling down to a reasonable number because they're causing too much damage. In the same argument it even says in the bible that we are Stewards of the Earth and guess what we are doing a crappy job of it.

Trees don't ask to be born either, nor murdered in the thousands so that humans can clear off land for paper and other rubbish or people to make their stupid farms cause there's too many people with too many mouths to feed on this planet to be sustainable any longer. Guess what mother natures preditors are in order to cull down our numbers? Tsunamis, wild fires, famine, plague, viruses that have no cures, etc. Why is Mother Nature playing God with our lives when we never asked to be born either? Because we are an invasive species on the face of this planet that has caused the extinction of countless other races and species to the point of extinction that maybe never deserved to die. The Native Americans are a living example of what happens when an invasive race is left to grow too big on land that's not even theirs.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:09:04 pm by Mandosiel » Logged
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:14 pm »

could the topic headline be any more sensationalistic or biased?  KF - you need to go work for the Daily Mail.  The Grey Squirrel is not indigenous to Great Britain and Ireland - it carries a virus which is killing the indigenous red squirrel.  It is an invader - like the Vikings - and needs to be repelled.

Sort of like the gypsy moth the English sent to the US - killing thousands of acres of trees - got even for the grey squirrel! (I am joking - I know you did not send the gypsy moth on purpose)

Mandosiel
Duchess

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 10:15:59 pm »

You mean me right? If you did you called me KF tehe
gingerboy24
Princess

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:22:13 pm »

Ni, I am not like completely ignoring anything.  Killing is killing, whatever way you look at it.  I was not aware that trees were "born".  As a non-meat eater I don´t agree with the slaughter of animals either.  I *despise* cruelty and killing towards animals and humans

Please do not try and force your opinions on to me, what you put forward, for me, is very lame, and appear to be your own opinions, not those  necessarily held by everyone.   As I said previously, we have to agree to disagree on this one.  Whatever you quote or do not quote will not change my opinion one bit.  By the same token, I have no desire to change your opinion, no matter how wrong I feel it is.  It is called tolerance and respect for the opinion of others.
Mandosiel
Duchess

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:29:10 pm »

Agreed.
I'm giving up on this topic anyways, it's like roll anyways.
FortressODaveBarry
Duchess

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:48:53 am »

He can always make Brunswick stew out of 'em, then it's not a total waste  easter-egg-basket
Snowpea
Duchess

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 12:10:18 am »

Sorry, but I disagree with it. Why should the grey squirrels be wiped out to keep red squirrels going. Surely there is space for both.  Nope. they are both creatures of God, and I do not agree with what he is doing one bit.

I agree, Team Squirrel on this one.  thumbsup  flower
Pense
courtier

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 01:05:38 am »

Gray squirrels are cute little nutters until they take advantage of any little hole in the roof soffit and move in. They like to do that in the autumn. Used to do it in my area of the country until the coyote population rebounded. Not so many grey squirrels now. Before that, they were poisoned.
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 01:46:44 am »

they actually cannot coexist - the grey squirrel which was brought  to the UK from North America - carries a virus the red squirrel is not immune to - the red squirrel catches the virus and dies - hence the wiping out of the red squirrel population

so if you want grey squirrels - the red squirrels die - if you want red squirrels - then the grey have to die - gruesome and tragic choice

Personally I prefer that they use natural means to control the squirrel populations - namely - martins who eat the grey squirrels
Pense
courtier

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 04:56:26 am »

I'm guessing I shouldn't offer to find a source of coyotes for the island?
Sorry. I can understand the problem. I take it martins are not susceptible to the virus?
A decade ago, my garden was ruined by rabbits and there wasn't anything I could do about it. They dug under fences so I converted to perennial plants that rabbits dislike. Nice plants but no real flowers. Rabbits moved on to the neighbor. Then an old estate was sold in the area and developers began to tear out the woods. One morning I went on the terrace for morning coffee -- and found a red fox sitting in the garden among the rabbit-proof plants. A rabbit's remains were carefully laid at the edge of the garden. End of rabbit problem from that day to this. I still see rabbits but they are few in number around the gardens and do little damage. So far the foxes and coyotes are peacefully co-existing.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:58:08 am by Pense » Logged
cate1949
Princess

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 07:28:39 am »

Coyotes took care of our grey squirrel population too

I suspect they have curbed the rabbit population also I see few bunnies

They also persuaded the Canada Geese to find a new home

Coyotes are very good at animal control - unfortunately they do not impress the bears or the groundhogs - but personally - the coyotes howling at night can be rather chilling - 

Right - the martins do not get the virus just the poor red squirrels -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: